• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am not worried about myself it's just lots of them are totally rude and take up a bunch of your time nitpicking stuff. Who wants to deal with them ever???:huh:

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have ben checked a few times over the years. have not met a rude one yet. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Not rude maybe, but darn, I do hate being treated as if I have to prove that I am not a criminal.

Being checked three times in the same night by the same CO on East Rush kind of flipped my switch last year.

• Thumbs Up 1

lol. you must have looked guilty. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I have only had one on the Croix that was not pretty super cool....Heck I sit and chat with them at the landing!      

One even helped me load my boat on the trailer when I blew my shoulder out while Catting last year, he even called one of the boat washing guys over to help get the gear out of my boat and into the truck

There are really some of them that are truly PRICKS  especially in Aitkin county....I know some of them personally and they are total dinks

Just my 02 If you want to know where The hot spots are 90% of them will point you in the right direction

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Iiccee,

How is the fishing on linwood now?

Do you fish it in the summer?

The reason I ask is, my next door nabe bought my old boat and has been fishing Linwood quite often.  So I was kinda wondering if you saw my old boat,  a Black 16' Ouachita sp? With a 10' prehistoric fish down both sides

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys that say the CO's are rude need to grow up a bit. There's so much talk about how there's so little enforcement out on the lakes and this is what you say when they get out to do their job?

Treat them with respect please. Online and on the lake. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I will disregard maxpowers comment and answer yours. I have never fished the summer on that lake. My brother has and had pretty good luck. I only started ice fishing this lake a year ago. I only know the lake real well through my brother and other guys that I have met on the lake who live there. So, haven't seen your boat lol. The fishing for me this winter has been terrible. Hoping for something to happen! :grin:

On 1/15/2017 at 7:51 PM, maxpower117 said:

You guys that say the CO's are rude need to grow up a bit. There's so much talk about how there's so little enforcement out on the lakes and this is what you say when they get out to do their job?

Treat them with respect please. Online and on the lake. 

Had a CO come out to our shack two years ago on a pretty cold night, just as we were sitting down for dinner, & that SOB just stood in the doorway, left the door wide open as he checked all of our licenses...  all the heat in the house GONE, our food went cold, give our licenses back, then on to the next shack--- No smile, no nothing, guy had zero empathy or consideration for anything it seemed.

Its basically the golden rule though> just treat others the way you want to be treated.  Just don't be a dick.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/15/2017 at 1:15 PM, eyeguy 54 said:

lol. you must have looked guilty. 

Naw, heard from others that he was just bored and kept checking everyone that was out that night.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, awkwardjim said:

Had a CO come out to our shack two years ago on a pretty cold night, just as we were sitting down for dinner, & that SOB just stood in the doorway, left the door wide open as he checked all of our licenses...  all the heat in the house GONE, our food went cold, give our licenses back, then on to the next shack--- No smile, no nothing, guy had zero empathy or consideration for anything it seemed.

Its basically the golden rule though> just treat others the way you want to be treated.  Just don't be a dick.

Did you invite him in?  Did you ask him to close the door? 

What good does does it do to complain on public forums about it. It only gives others the preconceived opinions that they are all dicks and we should expect that. 

Ive read this garbage on other forums where one of the forum admins called the actual co about the situation only to find out that the guy claiming the story was greatly exaggerating what happened. The story was originally posted by a cousin or fried that it happened to. He later apologized for believing his friends story word and posting it online. 

Theres two sides to every story and we never get to hear the other side. 

3 minutes ago, maxpower117 said:

Did you invite him in?  Did you ask him to close the door? 

What good does does it do to complain on public forums about it. It only gives others the preconceived opinions that they are all dicks and we should expect that. 

Ive read this garbage on other forums where one of the forum admins called the actual co about the situation only to find out that the guy claiming the story was greatly exaggerating what happened. The story was originally posted by a cousin or fried that it happened to. He later apologized for believing his friends story word and posting it online. 

Theres two sides to every story and we never get to hear the other side. 

I'm not really complaining, just sharing my experience.  And i never had any preconceived notion that all CO's were pricks, it just sucks that the one experience I had was far from pleasant.

One of my favorite shows is North Woods Law - the one where they follow the Maine DNR around.  Anyways,  not sure if they're just being nice because of the cameras, but they all seem like stand-up guys and are pretty good communicators.

I've always had respect for those guys and the work that they do.  All I would ask for in return is mutual respect and a simple "have a good day".

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 10:40 AM, eyeguy 54 said:

I have ben checked a few times over the years. have not met a rude one yet.

Me either but I have given a few a chance to be! ;)

Like the time one just opened our door up on LOW and stepped in at the same time as saying DNR. I did not see a badge and said where's your badge? He had a mini one inside his coat on his shirt!  We all laughed, showed him our lic's and fish and he went on his way! :)

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 2

I watched the CO at LOW two weeks ago working between three resort houses.  He was pulling individuals out singularly for questioning, probably due to something suspicious, trying too get the story straightened out.  He was busy, driving his snowmobile from house-to-house, counting fish, etc...  I heard later on that a citation was written for over limit.    

I was given a warning about 5 years ago so for not having my DNR # on my house, back when it was required.  I told him "I thought I had one on the house."  We stepped out to look.  Nothing.  Later when i was folding up for the day i spotted on other side of the house, that we did not check, and saw that I did have a number there.  I photographed this and emailed it to the CO who cancelled the warning.  

A couple years back the CO checked me.  Asked "if I had fish" and said "no."  He asked some more questions and then asked again about "how many fish I had."  Again I said "none."  He asked me to "show him what I had in my bucket."  I said "here look" and all I had in the bucket was a roll to toilet paper.  Ha Ha.

Another trip I was out in the middle of no where.  i saw a guy on a sled go flying right close by and thought, man that looked like a CO.  A couple hours later, this same sled came flying right up to my house.  I asked for his ID and he was the Sheriff.  I asked "what he was up to" and he replied "that i was missing one of the two permit stickers on my sled."  No warning and I took care of it on my way home. 

Many years ago during the crappie run on URL we just got setup and he was at our door.  We told him he was a little early as we followed him out onto the lake. 

Another trip there, we were checked on our third night out.  All of a sudden we had a knock at the door.  We did not see nor hear them coming.  "May we come in?"  "Yes."  "Where are your fish?" they asked.  "Why do you ask?" we replied.  Three COs where standing there.  They indicated that by the amount of garbage and beer cans in the trash bag outside the door that they figured we had been there awhile.  They actually opened the trash bag and counted beer cans.  So we showed them our partial limit of crappie that were cleaned and being stored under the fish house.  So they proceeded to put their heads down each hole to have a look around and opened every cooler and duffel bag we had.  They found nothing and thanked us for cooperating.  

Always stay legal - the COs are just doing there job and can be on you in less than a moments notice and they can smell what you are up to.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't care if dnr checks me multiple times a day or I have to prove that I am not doing anything wrong. That is how they catch the guys who are doing stuff wrong. I am always legal so What do I care I have been checked what like 5-6 times in my life so far even if every time they were not so nice ( they were not though ) who cares I have to deal with them 10-15 mins out of my day? Think about how many pricks they have to deal with every day.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just because an officer doesn't say have a nice day doesn't mean he's a dick.  Can you imagine all the idiots this guy has to deal with on a daily basis?  It's the same with police officers.  They also get a bad rap because they aren't super polite or "nice" to people.  They get disrespected and abused and lied to on 95% of their calls.  You probably wouldn't be the most cordial person either if you had to deal with the crap they have to.  

Should they be cordial?  Yes.  Is that what they get paid to do?  No.  Don't let it bug you so much.

• Thumbs Up 3

Happy to see them out and about.

My motto is:

Be legal.

Know the limit of the fish that you are fishing for.

Have a correct count of the fish that you have.

Don't waste their time- have license and ID readily available.

Always worked for me.

Had a CO come blazing up on me on Leech a few weeks back and started shining his light in the windows as he announced himself.  Thought that was a bit invasive, not necessary as there was not a call on me specifically, had there been I would understand 100%.  Also this guy came up right during prime-time.  I get you work a whole day but dont try to shoot the S with me during prime-time bud or ask a million questions when Im sober and by myself.  Check my fish, check my license and get away from me chief.  I dont need some hick CO trying to Colombo me, that is funny though.  Make sure Im legal and leave as fast as you came up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would think that with the problems of declining participation in fishing and hunting activities in this state which are putting the hurt on the DNR budget, that it would be in the DNR and the CO's  best interest to extend a little more courtesy to their constituents.  People stop buying licenses and they might find that their ranks are getting trimmed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fishing definitely has its ups and downs with popularity over the years but I don't see it declining much at all. I see more of the typical flake, ill buy a bunch of stuff cause it looks cool but then I'm a spaz and I get interested in something else then sell all the stuff, mentality.  Those are the same jaggoffs that leave their trash behind.  Unfortunately there will always be those types of guys. I wish the DNR would focus on that more. You'd think they could watch guys from a distance when they're leaving and crack down on the litter bugs.  Bust those guys instead of rolling up all hot on a legal guy enjoying prime time.

• Thumbs Up 1

The first thing I noticed when I started ice fishing 10+ years ago was all the garbage left behind, and it made me furious... I wish the CO's would put some effort in and bust those people. I would think that would provide a generous amount of income for the MN DNR. 

• Thumbs Up 2