• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

ESSGuy

Who's fishing now?

ESSGuy

My last weekend on the ice. We have about 3inches of water on ice outside the house. Have caught 1 14" and a season best 25" walter at 840 pm.

TProGuy

Is there standing water all over on the ice, or just in certain areas?  I was planning to head up tomorrow morning to spend the day on the lake with one of my kids, so just wondering what we should expect.  Thanks!

papermouth

Speaking of chasing I fish pros, hit this hog in the shallow rocks chasing eyes. 40" on the nuts. Also have landed 12 eyes but biggest being 20.5

20170218_113055.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

ESSGuy

The ice is fine. I have a lot of standing water because my house is dark color. Come up and enjoy this weather. Ice is 24-30".a little snow left out on ice.

Edited by ESSGuy

wookiemofo

Out on the north end. 8", 15" and a 24" over night. I've lost about 8 so far off rattles. Not sure if I'm not getting a good hookset or what. I've tried horsing them in and babying... headshakes are dislodging the hooks.

any advise? I'd have 12 on the board had I not missed any!

Stick in Mud

How big are the hooks you're using, wookie?   Make sure they're big enough, especially if you're using big minnows. 

I also use heavier line than most people (10 lb flouro) on our rattle reels so I can set the hook with a bit of gusto without worrying about breaking off.  I might get a few less bites than my friends using 4 lb or 6 lb test, but in the long run I bet we both get the same number of fish on the ice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

wookiemofo
18 hours ago, Stick in Mud said:

How big are the hooks you're using, wookie?   Make sure they're big enough, especially if you're using big minnows. 

I also use heavier line than most people (10 lb flouro) on our rattle reels so I can set the hook with a bit of gusto without worrying about breaking off.  I might get a few less bites than my friends using 4 lb or 6 lb test, but in the long run I bet we both get the same number of fish on the ice. 

Good question, I'd have to go look. Probably could have sized up. Overall we netted out pretty good though. We ended up with a 15, 16, 22, 23, 23, 24 and a 25.5 over the course of two nights.

Pretty fun trip and one hell of a way to almost end the season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fathom

Meant to post our results from last weekend didn't keep a detailed report after the first night but we managed to catch a few fish each morning and each night, nothing after 10pm though. We started in 10' the first night and moved to 15-16" the rest of the weekend. On Saturday my buddies house caught a 29" and 27" before 8am also missed another decent one they were using shiners 

my wife and I stayed Sunday night and she missed a really nice one before she landed a 21" to cap off our weekend we only had fatheads and rainbows

Overall had a great time and even tried fishing for ducks which was a great event put on. The Bloody Mary with a pork chip saved my day!

• Thumbs Up 1

Rick

Anyone out ice fishing the bays?PSX_20191116_094902.jpg.2d7ca743eeeaaa93fe8f1042da6bcb0f.jpg

Sculpin

There are a few porty's starting to show up in the bays on the south side, although there is still a good deal of open water on the main lake. There were two houses out on Waukon bay yesterday, and an ATV and a small hard side spear shack in Cove bay, and one house in Isle Bay.  I would imagine by the weekend, there will be significant foot traffic in the bays. Bear in mind you can't fish walleyes until Dec. 1st, but you can be perchin or pike fishing and, and still be catching those pesky "incidental" fish.

Good luck, and use extreme caution 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Rick
      By Rick
      2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports - CLICK HERE
      Click Above for 2020 Fishing Reports↑↑↑↑
      2009 - 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports are below ↓↓↓↓ (Over 100 pages of 25 posts per page).
      Go ahead and post Mille Lacs Lake fishing reports and conditions in this thread.

Lot's of good info below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow.

Be sure to give back and share your fishing reports here as well.

Thanks.
    • MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      @bassfshin24 and I snuck up to Mille Lacs for 2 days of fishing recently. We were targeting Walleye near shallow structure in the low light hours and bumping out a bit deeper during mid-day. The first day was slow for us but we found more action on Day 2 including my 2nd biggest Walleye through the ice. I also caught my first tagged Walleye! Pay attention for my slip and fall...

• AdamT
      By AdamT
      I have a week trip planned for opening week on the big pond.  Should I reschedule?  I know the record ice out for that lake is May 16th. Does it look like that will be broken this year?
    • MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      My buddy Tony (@bassfshin24) and I hit the road after Christmas to go and chase some Walleyes on Mille Lacs Lake. We had plans to fish shallow structure during the low light hours and then head out to deeper structure during the day using an ATV. Day 1 the temps had warmed up some from the recent negative temps but we were surprised to find a very slow bite. The slow day was topped off by some ATV problems which left us scratching our heads on what to do for Day 2. As it turned out our options were minimal so we decided to pull out on the lake by hand to some shallow structure. It was -15 when we hit the lake but we were greeted by a bunch of hungry Walleye!

• RiverChuckNorris
      By RiverChuckNorris
      My first foray into tv land.  Grant invited me to co-host an early ice episode on Mille Lacs last week.  We showed up like any weekend warrior with no intel and proceeded to try to figure the lake out.
      This is just the teaser.  The full episode will air in January and then be available on Superior Angling's YouTube channel.
      Give it a share/like if you enjoy it.  Thanks in advance!
    • MN Fishing Guy
      By MN Fishing Guy
      Got on the west side yesterday from 10 till 3.  Smallmouth were snapping in 15 - 17 FOW on green tubes with red flakes.  Three 20 inch plus footballs. 20 fish total.  Two came up barfing out crawfish.  Had two incidental google eyes 14 and 15 inches.  All the fish were extremely fat and well fed.  Great day on the water, very few boats.  Shout out to Terry's, great place to launch and close to the action! 
    • Stick in Mud
      By Stick in Mud
      It's shaping up to be a very good year on the Big Pond....Lots of people are catching lots of fish.  Let's start a new thread to share some tips, tricks, and photos.  
      The talk I'm hearing is that there are lots of fish out deep, but most of them are shorties.  Fewer fish up shallow, but a better chance at catching some bigger ones.  So shallow I went.  Plus, pulling a 100 lb. sled and auger made the decision a little easier, too. 
      I set up Stick in Mud the Elder in Secret Spot #3 in about 7 ft of water.  I hole hopped outside in depths ranging from 7 to 14 ft. It took us maybe 10 minutes to get our first fish, and throughout the next two hours we ended up catching six more.  Nothing crazy like the reports/photos I'm seeing/hearing from others, but we got two keepers and one big girl.  My buddy caught 16 last night--and sent me a photo of every single one of them--but only one of them was over 18''.  Of our seven, two were about 19'' and the big one was about 25'', give or take a bit.   
      It's time to get out on the ice.

• BringAnExtension
      By BringAnExtension
      The DNR has announced quotas for the ice fishing season, regulations coming forth soon.
      http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2015/10/19/mille-lacs-winter-harvest-cap-set-ice-fishing-regulation-decision-by-end-of-month/#more-17141
      #AsExpected
    • BringAnExtension
      By BringAnExtension
      Governor Dayton is not going to wait for the fall surveys before declaring that the walleye ice fishing season will go on.
      http://www.startribune.com/dayton-says-they-ll-be-a-walleye-season-this-winter-on-mille-lacs/326440461/

• Rick
      By Rick
      The DNR announced today that it has begun implementing several concrete steps aimed at improving the Mille Lacs Lake walleye population, while building a closer working relationship with the Mille Lacs community. “Mille Lacs is an incredibly important fishery for … Full Story
      Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Mike89
      don't forget the other brothers Larry and the other Darryl!!!  
    • Wanderer
      His name is Darryl. 😏
    • monstermoose78
      Starting to get pumped up!! I have been working Finn most days and now I need to start working myself up for hunting. 
    • smurfy
      I would think maybe Bigfoot.👍😂   But Yea the hair definitely looks like a deer.
    • TrueNorth
      Stayed on the west side last week.  Perfect weather for most of the week.  Light winds, cool mornings and 70-80 during the day.  Plenty of sunshine - no rain to speak of.     Of the ~20 Walleye we caught, 60% of them were in the 10" to 14" range.  Everything else was 22" to 26".   Trolled plugs but mostly fished spinners slow w/ Crawler and Leeches.    Fished mostly deep reefs all over the main basins.  Kept moving.  Biggest take away was a large scale bug hatch going on (not mayflies) and the largest small perch population I've ever witnessed.  Both of these lit of the electronics with pure clouds... 4-6" perch literally everywhere.  Pretty amazing to be honest.   Every fish was very healthy...stuffed full.  Gonna be fun in a few years.  Also caught several nice Bluegill, Small and Largemouth Bass and a few Pike.  All larger than past years.  1 50" musky stopped by to say high in calm weather middle of the day.     Did make it to the East side a few days with little success but the timing of the day didn't help.  Definitely marked plenty of fish off deep reefs in 16-30 mainly in Big Bag.  No bug hatch there and not near the bait fish population.     If I was there this week, I would fish reefs near deepest water adjacent to defined points.  That's my 2 cents.  
    • jeff_s
      SkunkedAgain, I’m sure my friends with the Incinolet would be happy to show it to you. They’re on Grassy Point. PM me and I’ll hook you up with them. 
    • muskie-mike
      I use 12 lb suffix 832 and find i use 4 ft of line for every foot of depth with a 30 ft mono leader...  
    • Raven77
      The most interesting thing I've seen on the lake is loons flocking up to fly south.  Saw this on Norwegian Bay October 9, 2018.  There had to be at least 200 of them, including some clearly too young to make the trip.
    • Raven77
      I've been having good luck with lead core as well.  I use Suffix 832, with line counter reels.  Each color is 30 feet of line.  As a rule of thumb, every 1 foot of depth requires 5 feet of line, so if you are fishing at 30' FOW you would let out 150' of line, or 5 colors.  Trolling speed affects how deep your crank is running as well (slower is deeper).  I usually run between 2.2 and 2.5 mph.  As a check, you can keep letting out line until your crank starts bumping bottom and then reel up 10' of line.  
    • ozzie
      I hear ya on the difficulties fishing any lobe of Whitefish on the weekends!  Just have to get up and be done before 10am or go back out after 6pm and the lake settles a little.  We trolled "lower" WF on Thursday evening and only caught 1 northern.  Didn't appear to have as thick of a gathering of fish... We went back out on Saturday morning to try our luck on Whitefish for Whitefish and in 2 hours caught 1 3.5lb'er and missed a few bites.  Wow can they be fun to pull out of 50-70 ft of water.  We use jigging raps but wow do whitefish bit lightly but put up a good fight...and there are plenty of them on the big lakes!!!  Good fish on the smoker too!! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.