• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We bought a place on White Iron last spring so this will be our first winter there.  Does anybody ice fish this chain at all?  If so, just looking for some possible areas to get started.  Heading up there this weekend to give it a try.

I've had a place on The Chain for about 10 years now and have never even looked at White Iron for winter fishing.  Not to discourage you but most people in the area comment the walleye/pike fishery dies off quite a bit come January.

Shags and Birch get most of the attention from non-trout anglers this time of year.  Most everyone else is looking for trout.  That's what I spend most of my Ely winter trips doing.

Thanks for the tip...sounds like we might travel around the area a little bit to see what we can find.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I fished the chain in the winter for walleyes and crappies mostly the big trophy sized crappies they are in farm white iron and garden 

I got some nice eater eyes as well

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

I fished the chain in the winter for walleyes and crappies mostly the big trophy sized crappies they are in farm white iron and garden 

I got some nice eater eyes as well

You college kids fished everything! :grin:

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

You college kids fished everything! :grin:

Yes we did and fished every where

What else does would outdoor minded kid do when he gets to Vermillion C.C. and see all of the opportunities?

Heck i think i chose "Stinky Ditch" over class most of the winter.:blush:

I think the college degrees are a secondary consideration for most when they head that way. 

"I'm going to college in Ely"

"What for?"

"I dunno, I'll figure it out when I get there." :grin:

Between hunting fishing and some trapping there wasn't much time to attend classes when I went to VCC 

I'm just jealous I couldn't attend Vermilion because they didn't have a good pre-engineering program back in 1980.  I still did plenty of hunting and fishing while attending Mesabi, but probably not as much as the Ironmen.