• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

drscholl14

Worth Bringing Snowmobile to the Pond?

drscholl14

Heading up to Mille Lacs in the morning. Looking at web cams today there doesn't seem to be any snow. We have two snowmobiles but neither have studs and I'm wondering if it's even worth hauling them up. We're hoping to get to the flats but without sleds that probably won't be happening.

Edited by drscholl14

smalliehunter

Was out to the flats Friday, went out at castaways.  Mostly 4 wheelers and side by sides.  Plenty of sleds around, not much snow tho..  that's a long walk.  Plenty of Fish be be had closer to shore..

KidMoe

Been running around today and it's bumpy and not much snow but doable with studs and carbides. The edges have some snow for traveling but that's about it. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• CigarGuy
      Isn't there a place next to Spring Bay resort, towards Moosebirds
    • SkunkedAgain
      I'm considering the possibility of getting another snowmobile again. My problem is storage. I have no space at home to store a sled and trailer. I was thinking about storing it somewhere near-ish the west end of the lake so that I can pick it up, tow it the short trip to The Landing, and then get to my place. Are there any options besides Vermilion Drive Storage on Hwy 24 just north of Cook? I reached out to them but want to make sure that I've checked out all of my options.
    • Wanderer
      Sticks like smurfy said, or an arm full of cattails.  I always made sure I had enough lumber marking my holes nothing would sink or blow away and could be seen from a good way off by a snowmobiler.   Like anything else, some people care; some don’t.     Other suggestion, look up some of the old “Look and Release” videos that were posted on the forums in the past.  Lotta good footage of nice fish left to swim away.
    • smurfy
      BINGO!! There isn't a time out that I don't laugh my arse off watching the way some of them pike act. That's the most fun of spearing.  
    • smurfy
      Usually by grabbing a stick, piece of brush, downed branches from shore.
    • monstermoose78
      Release is not chucking the spear!
    • gimruis
      Absolutely.  But angling with hook and line has the option for catch and release.  Spearing does not have that option.
    • gimruis
      If you don't mind me asking, how are old spear holes supposed to be marked?  I'm not familiar with this issue.
    • smurfy
      well I just drove past pokey like about 11;30 today on 169...……...and not to many are out and about just yet.😀 talked to a few locals..still pretty tough getting around on some of the lakes!!!!
    • smurfy
      I use mine on and off fishing. I have a sun shield for mine in the summer. it works ok at best. but I do use it to watch fish and check structure. I just used it the last 3 weekends tipup fishing. its both fun and frustrating. to watch a pike grab the sucker, mess with it then let it go, and watch there behavior is crazy fun. and frustrating. I bought a tripod for mine and you can zero in on your bait, but it does take a bit of playing to get it set right. I lost the little rubber stopper so I use a couple winter depth finders. the only downfall is the deeper you need to set it, the more risk you have of a fish tangling up in it!!!!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.