• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Went by ''The Landing" on the way back from dinner tonight at "The Crescent" and they were closed on one of the busiest nights of the year for the bar business. Couple of sleds in the parking lot and several leaving.  Anything up?

• 2 weeks later...

They had a few facebook posts in recent months advertising 'dock slip rentals' and more recently that they are doing more remodeling and adding a wooden boat above the bar. You'd think they'd spend more time working on clientele relationships than "polishing their turd". 

They must still be going for the big money tourists, rather than the locals.  

I sort of miss going there.   But I am not paying that kind of money.  

I looked at the Facebook post.  $34.00 for all you can eat walleye, bonus-it comes with fries and coleslaw:mad:. Beef pot pie/salad $19.00!  Last time I had dinner was $2.00 beer special and .35 wings.  Bet we never see that again. We don't go out often when up here, but like Del said, I also sort of miss going there.  Now, I drive right by it on my way to The Crescent.

20 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

I looked at the Facebook post.  $34.00 for all you can eat walleye, bonus-it comes with fries and coleslaw:mad:. Beef pot pie/salad $19.00!  Last time I had dinner was $2.00 beer special and .35 wings.  Bet we never see that again. We don't go out often when up here, but like Del said, I also sort of miss going there.  Now, I drive right by it on my way to The Crescent.

Crescent or South Switch.   Good food, not much ambience.  

Grumpy Gary's Chicken... mmmm

These days, all I can eat walleye is one.  Or the walleye sandwich at the crescent.     

Oh well, all those cities folks from Ludlow's and Pehrson's  don't fish much so that is a plus. 

• Thumbs Up 2

crescent,southswitch all good ,try vermillion club , pizza by poor garys real good! my fav is good ole days in tower ,cool place! and good food breakfast, lunch  and dinner.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Oh well, all those cities folks from Ludlow's and Pehrson's  don't fish much so that is a plus. 

And when they do, they'll hire a guide. :)

• Thumbs Up 3

Sure they can do what they want at the landing.  Many locals as well as us longtime packsackers think it is a bad idea and choose to patronize other establishments.    I guess we shall see if that model of catering to the high end tourist or unsuspecting walk in works long term in the era of the internet.  

The Crescent has not been in the same family for generations.   Not sure about South Switch.  

The Landing is on the West end in Beatty Township.  

I am willing to pay a reasonable price for food and drink in a nice atmosphere with good service.   From what I am hearing about the Landing, the service is not good and the prices are not reasonable.  So I guess I am not their target market and I will take my business elsewhere.  

I would settle for $5 tap beers and $10 burger/fries.  

Why should we not disparage someone for bad service and very high prices.  I for one am all for honest communication.   i have voted with my dollars for the last couple years, btw.  

Is the menu still not accessible on the internet? 

With social media the new normal is for people to rant the open airways.  Unfortunately, some times people cross the line. I don't think that has happened here, but I would also say that I have sympathy for the new owners of the Landing.  I continue to go there knowing I will pay more than I generally would want to.  I would probably go more if their prices were lower as they are much closer to me than The Crescent.  

I ran in for an order of chicken wings and a couple of beers one night fishing around 9:30 pm. Small wings and then up charged for celery and blue cheese dressing on the side. I needed 2 beers to wash it down and the bill came to $24.50. I can regularly find something in this order for much closer to home for a lot less. I had lunch there one time last year. The burger was good. Not looking for happy hour pricing all the time but you need to have a cheap beer or 2 option. Not $4:50 bottle option. The specialty drinks come with a special price.

As far as the Ambiance they are trying to create..........They can keep it.

They are trying to upscale the place but the reality is the locals are what will keep the doors open and they have slammed the doors in the locals faces.

News for 2017 right from their Facebook page

"Recently the Landing was named a "Top Ten Destination for Family Travel" to be published fall of 2017. Also , The Landing has been named a "Diamond Award" recipient based on customer service, quality of food/drink and environment for guests. Look for more Face book posts in the future regarding these articles"

How much does it cost to get a Diamond Award?

This is unbelievable.. i agree with Skibo..badmouthing a place on the internet based on "something you heard? get over it..

said it before and will say it again...i like their food, the service is good and they opened up after the lake froze for snowmobilers Thursday through Sunday.. 

lWell, I guess we will see what the story is next summer.   Let them post the menu on their page if they really care.   In this day and age we don't have to get sucker punched.

I wonder about the diamond award, from who?   Likewise "top ten destination...." again who?  some pay for play site? 

5 hours ago, FrazerBay said:

This is unbelievable.. i agree with Skibo..badmouthing a place on the internet based on "something you heard? get over it..

said it before and will say it again...i like their food, the service is good and they opened up after the lake froze for snowmobilers Thursday through Sunday.. 

I just looked over every post and I don't see where anyone mentioned "something you heard"- pretty much first hand info. I have left a review on Trip Advisor-seems like customers either love them or don't! "Diamond award"-interesting;) I have no problem paying for good service and a nice meal.  The special I mentioned was-just that a special, nice and it brought people in during slower times. Maybe, I just hear it from the locals and some business owners who haven't had a good experience or would like to see more of a "friendly/variety" menu. You can look over many threads on this site and see reviews/comments-both good and bad about many establishments. Just this past summer,I bought a gift certificate from The Landing for someone that helped me out on the lake.  So, I guess I'm not a total bad_boy:). Left an opening-let me have it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cigar, in Del's 8:42pm Monday post he started a sentence "From what I am hearing..." and went on to comment on poor service and unreasonable prices.  Either way. Del's is being honest about his feelings about the place.  I don't see anything wrong with it. I would say we shouldn't pile on.  These threads are for our information and I have appreciated the comments on both sides.  I suggest to others looking in that you go at least once and see for yourself. An extra $5 to $10 isn't going to kill you.  

I've been going to the Landing regularly for the past 10+ years. I think that ownership has changed due to bad management more than anything. When Jack bought the place again, it was hopping because he gave everyone what they wanted...a fun place with good value. That was only four or five years ago. That in itself proves that the cost of entry doesn't preclude reasonable prices. I've had one interaction with the new owners, or more specifically one of them. He was extremely nice and help me out when I was in a bind. I'll still go there for a beer or two but in general don't frequent fancy places because I save my money for other things in life.

I think why people complain is because it is the only option on the west end of the lake. There are off-lake options like the Crescent but it's not on the water. With The Landing it's like someone took something away from the lake. I believe that is the emotion that is being tapped. If there were three on-lake options on the west end of the lake and one went fancy, then probably no problem. That's my take.

One would hope that local economics would guide decisions at such a place. If the majority of customers want X, you provide X. The new owners have been providing Y for a while now and don't seem to mind if that hits them in the wallet. That's their choice and I'm fine with it. I just won't eat there often if at all because it's not what I want when on the lake.

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'm in agreement with everyone here. And like a few have eluded to, it's time to move on. There's no point in publicly bashing them because they changed how they operate, and changed their target demographic. I was a frequent visitor for 10+ years, leading up to the newest owners. The best way to protest is with your wallet.

So I've learned to stop caring about what it used to be (guaranteed hangover the next morning), and what it is now. I don't care that they're putting a boat above the bar. I'd rather be in a boat, than under one. It's a tough (seasonal dependent) business up there, so why they chose to alienate their clientele, is beyond me. Nowadays, I spend my money elsewhere, and spend more nights around the campfire instead. I still can't figure out how they even turn a profit, based on the number of cars/boats I see there on any given weekend. Oh well, who cares. Time will tell.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey, I expressed what I have heard from the locals.   We have been summer folks for quite a while so get some access to the feelings of the locals, like our next door neighbors.   

The Landing seems to have made a deliberate business decision to not target local folks but rather upscale tourists.   That is their privilege.    I choose not to patronize them.  

As a guy I used to know at IBM said  "that's not the target market".  I am not the Landing's target market.   

See you at the Crescent.   (or South Switch.)   (or the VFW in cook for burger night) 

Lots of places to go if I want upscale.  Whistling Bird in Gilbert, several places in Ely, etc.

Edited by delcecchi

On 1/18/2017 at 9:41 AM, SkunkedAgain said:

I've been going to the Landing regularly for the past 10+ years. I think that ownership has changed due to bad management more than anything. When Jack bought the place again, it was hopping because he gave everyone what they wanted...a fun place with good value. That was only four or five years ago. That in itself proves that the cost of entry doesn't preclude reasonable prices. I've had one interaction with the new owners, or more specifically one of them. He was extremely nice and help me out when I was in a bind. I'll still go there for a beer or two but in general don't frequent fancy places because I save my money for other things in life.

I think why people complain is because it is the only option on the west end of the lake. There are off-lake options like the Crescent but it's not on the water. With The Landing it's like someone took something away from the lake. I believe that is the emotion that is being tapped. If there were three on-lake options on the west end of the lake and one went fancy, then probably no problem. That's my take.

One would hope that local economics would guide decisions at such a place. If the majority of customers want X, you provide X. The new owners have been providing Y for a while now and don't seem to mind if that hits them in the wallet. That's their choice and I'm fine with it. I just won't eat there often if at all because it's not what I want when on the lake.

Nailed it! Unfortunately the ownership has deep pockets and it's going to take a lot to put them under.

Every time I've been there since he took over I've left extremely dissatisfied and disappointed. I won't spend my money there anymore. 

I don't have much skin in the game here.  I take 2 trips a year to Vermilion and absolutely love the lake, area and in particular the West side.  Without question, our goal is to own a property on this lake for retirement. 

People hate change.  Simply don't go if you don't like the prices or the new owners.  The restaurant/bar business is a bitch so I say kudos for trying something different.  With any business, previous owners don't let go of gold mines so there was a reason it was for sale.  

I'll be a patron the few weeks I'm up there.  If I don't like it, I won't go back.  Premium prices demand premium quality and service.  I hope they succeed.  

9 hours ago, TrueNorth said:

I don't have much skin in the game here.  I take 2 trips a year to Vermilion and absolutely love the lake, area and in particular the West side.  Without question, our goal is to own a property on this lake for retirement. 

People hate change.  Simply don't go if you don't like the prices or the new owners.  The restaurant/bar business is a bitch so I say kudos for trying something different.  With any business, previous owners don't let go of gold mines so there was a reason it was for sale.  

I'll be a patron the few weeks I'm up there.  If I don't like it, I won't go back.  Premium prices demand premium quality and service.  I hope they succeed.  

I will be interested to hear of your experience.  Please let us know.   

I think the anecdotal evidence was that the service and quality was not up to the premium price, although that could be old news.  

"fine dining" has been a tough sell on the lake.   Several places have tried and failed that I am aware of.   

Edited by delcecchi

Like someone else said, some of the places with the old school $2-$5 beer and $6-$10 burger pricing have also been owned for a long time and were paid off long ago. According to the county website, the landing has 300+ feet of lakeshore (which isn't cheap), a tax bill that's 3 times what the VC pays, 10 times the dock space to maintain and given that it's was purchased relatively recently, they likely a mortgage to pay. The Crescent is also a relatively recent purchase. But the Crescent has a less expensive location, lower taxes and is more centrally located in terms of road access (important during the 4-5 months of the year when boating and snowmobiling taper off).

Overhead is going to play a role in the pricing of any business. You have your total sales minus your overhead and that's your profit. You can't sell the same thing at the same price with significantly more overhead because you're not going to make any money. Yes, you can offset low margins with a higher number of sales, but with a very short snowmobile season and a relatively short boating season that can be pretty difficult.

I'll be the first to agree that the pricing is on the high side, but the food is also a step up from some of the other options with lake accessibility. My guess is that after evaluating the various price points, the owners decided that the current business model is where they stand the best chance at turning a profit and keeping the doors open. If $2 beers and $5 burgers were a slam dunk way to make money, I'm sure that they'd be doing it because it would be a lot easier.

Whether it be lakeside bars/restaurants or marinas, there are less and less of them every year because the cost of lakeshore and the taxes (which usually increase after a recent sale) make it almost impossible to compete with places that were paid off a generation ago. When these restaurants and marinas close, townhomes and cabins usually replace them so I'm happy to pay the prices if it means another option when it comes to eating or grabbing some drinks on the lake.

Edited by CousinEddie
  • Thumbs Up 3

Good points CousinEddie --- Others should leave their "bashing" off this site.  I've been to The Landing many times over the years and will say yes the food is expensive but it's pretty good food.  I was there on 6 different occasions last year and stand by my comments.

On another point I also know the owners of Pehrson's and have nothing but good things to say about them and their resort.  No need to take shots there either.

Let's get back to fishing please.........

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Hockeyboys said:

Good points CousinEddie --- Others should leave their "bashing" off this site.  I've been to The Landing many times over the years and will say yes the food is expensive but it's pretty good food.  I was there on 6 different occasions last year and stand by my comments.

On another point I also know the owners of Pehrson's and have nothing but good things to say about them and their resort.  No need to take shots there either.

Let's get back to fishing please.........

Who is taking shots at Persons?   Although their ski training boat doesn't always stay far enough away from fishermen, considering its wake.

If the landing needs to charge high prices to make it, then so be it.  I am not convinced, however.  

I guess time will tell whether they will make it without the locals. 

And if I am not happy with a business I will express my opinion whether you like it or not.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the new owners have a right to run it anyway they want but not knowing if or when they will be open in my opining gives me the right to complain about it.  I use to be able to get gas, food, drink any day at the landing but now you never know.   BTW does anyone know who has snowmobile gas in this area available when the Landing is closed?

I have met one of the owners and he seems very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have an axe to grind with The Landing (and I don't honk anyone on this forum does either)- I went there a few times last summer and the food was good, they had an ample beer selection, and the service was friendly- all of those things I'm willing to pay for.

We had another couple up staying the weekend at our cabin and brought them to The Landing and had a terrific time, looking forward to making it back there again!

And more importantly, can't wait for the ice to get off the lake!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Today the Lake Vermilion Guides League held an ice fishing day for 35 5th and 6th graders from the Cook area at the Landing. The Landing very graciously hosted this group of kids for us.

I found the owners to be very friendly and happy to be a part of the kids outing!

I would not hesitate to stop in there for a meal or drink if I get in that area again!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 4

Cliff, you finally made it down to our end of the lake!  Did anybody catch a walleye?  I'm not totally turned off by them, I'll still stop by for a snack or drink...or both. You can't beat the setting - sitting out on the deck!

CigarGuy,

We did not venture out very far from the Landing, walking distance only!

The ice had about 3" or 4" of soup on top everywhere.

We fished in 12' to 14' depth on the first drop off.

The kids iced a bunch of small perch jigging with small jigs and wax worms and missed a couple of pike on tip-ups.

Fun day for all of us!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2