• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I really want to love it.  Unfortunately my last two visits there have been disappointing with multiple messed up orders, marginal service, and so-so food.  Hopefully it is just growing pains and things will improve.

Was there tonight and it was awesome best so far. The first couple times were so-so

On 6/12/2019 at 9:39 PM, JV Ham Lake said:

What's the latest on The Landing?  Anyone been there recently and have any reports on the food and hospitality?

We went a couple weeks ago. Busy (friday night) food was good, price reasonable, somewhat slow but we weren't in a hurry.   

• Thanks 1

Three of us went over the wknd of the opener. All of us had hamburgers, they were good. Little slow with the bar order, but not too bad. Mark, the owners dad came around to all the tables and introduced himself (he's helping out).  I already knew him, but was nice to see him work the floor. Prices were good. It looked like a few locals were there- even Jake, one of the previous owners was there. My wife wants to take me there for father's day, so I'll be back.  Wish they would update their Facebook page with specials and other info.

So how about Bayview?  Anyone know when they will be open?  It'll be nice to have more choices on the lake.

I was up at the VC today and enquired about bayview, sounds like they are hoping to be open for the week of the 4th.

Was up a couple of weeks ago and went over for lunch. Had nice younger waitress and was her first day and she did fine. Middle age lady was helping her assume it was owner?  Food was good. Couple of us had a big salad and had walleye added. Huge piece of walleye. Looked like a decent lunch crowd. We really like the place.

We went at the end of opener weekend. It had a nice crowd but wasn't busy at all. Good vibe but they struggled with the food. My salad and my wife's sandwich were both good. They massively overcooked the cheesecurds so when the waitress brought them out, she said that another batch was on the way. That was at least good customer service. Our daughter's pizza took forever because when they pulled it out of the oven, they realized that they had put hashbrowns on instead of cheese. I honestly don't know how that happens unless it's crazy busy, but like others, I chalked it up to a new staff. I've been to enough new restaurants to know that the wrinkles need to be ironed out.

I'll make it back there. They got the atmosphere and the customer service right, so I'll wait for them to get their act together on the food.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Our daughter's pizza took forever because when they pulled it out of the oven, they realized that they had put hashbrowns on instead of cheese. I honestly don't know how that happens unless it's crazy busy, but like others, I chalked it up to a new staff. 

How did the pizza taste? I'm thinking that might not be too bad!

On 6/18/2019 at 9:31 AM, SkunkedAgain said:

We went at the end of opener weekend. It had a nice crowd but wasn't busy at all. Good vibe but they struggled with the food. My salad and my wife's sandwich were both good. They massively overcooked the cheesecurds so when the waitress brought them out, she said that another batch was on the way. That was at least good customer service. Our daughter's pizza took forever because when they pulled it out of the oven, they realized that they had put hashbrowns on instead of cheese. I honestly don't know how that happens unless it's crazy busy, but like others, I chalked it up to a new staff. I've been to enough new restaurants to know that the wrinkles need to be ironed out.

I'll make it back there. They got the atmosphere and the customer service right, so I'll wait for them to get their act together on the food.

I can see how it could happen.  Remember that these days all the prep people are wearing gloves, so might not be able to feel any difference.   Or both could have been frozen...

• I Like it 1

I would think the different items would be marked, or do you mean they wear gloves over their eyes?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 2

17 hours ago, roony said:

I would think the different items would be marked, or do you mean they wear gloves over their eyes?

Typically they are in those stainless steel "hotel pans" on the table or at the prep station.     I would presume that they aren't marked since the cooks should be able to tell what stuff is.  

On the TV shows that show restaurant kitchens, it isn't obvious that ingredients are labeled.   Maybe some seasonings but not like cheese or potatoes.   Watch "diners drive-ins and dives" sometime, he's in the kitchen of all these smaller restaurants.   But who knows how some person at the landing mistook shreds of potato for shreds of mozzarella?

• Yayyyy 1

Maybe he or she was trying to invent the "hashbrown pizza". ?

With bacon and cheese it might not be too bad.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1
  • Yayyyy 1

I don’t believe anyone has mentioned if they are bringing the traditional Friday night fish fry back ?  If so how is it ?  

Really liked the salad bar / fish fry before they got rid of it … 

Since they brought out and served us the badly overcooked cheesecurds, I was actually hoping to try a hashbrown pizza. Sadly they didn't. I might try making one of my own. I suppose that the tough thing would be to crisp up the hashbrowns....maybe you put cheese underneath, then hashbrowns and any toppings. I might mess around with this!

Thanks The Landing

• I Like it 1

We stopped in for lunch on Sunday and met Mark the owner. He is kind of a quiet guy. He stopped after our meal was almost done and asked how everything was. The prices on their burgers was good and we got a solid lunch for a fair price.

On a side note- Life of Riley Resort has breakfast from 7- 10 every day of the week I think. We stopped in on Saturday and had the Gilson Boy's Breakfast- 2 of everything eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, French toast and 2 slices of toast with coffee and OJ. Really nice break from fishing hard and good breakfast all around. Load up the family and friends and check them out.

Fishing was very poor for muskies- lots of hours for our few fish.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Sorgy said:

Fishing was very poor for muskies- lots of hours for our few fish.

Isn't that the mantra for muskie fishermen?

• Thumbs Up 1

Not always- just need to be smart about it. Paying your dues may pay very big dividends:)

• 1 month later...

After a weekend of building, my buddy and I boated over to the Landing around 9pm on Saturday night for dinner. The dock boy said that it was busy and they were behind on food orders. When we got inside the place was rocking, with most tables full and only two seats left at the bar. We had a few beers and our food was out in 20 minutes. It tasted great and was all reasonably priced.

Based on my two experiences so far, I will declare the Landing to be officially back from the dead IMO. Keep up the good work.

• Thumbs Up 3

I totally agree with SkunkedAgain . My wife and I have made 6 or 7 stops there by boat this summer already and will be going back soon . We’re  always greeted by a friendly dock crew and their is plenty of dock space available even during peak hours . The waitresses are always friendly , as is the bar crew . The food has always been great and our order has come in a timely manner ... totally recommend all to check out this place and enjoy what they have to offer . 

• Thumbs Up 2

Four of us went there for dinner last night. Had burgers and a wrap. All were good, service was great. Had a couple of vodka/lemonade's,  they could've used a little more vodka ?. The owners dad, Mark was interacting with all the customers, asking how the food and service was. I think it's back! Btw Del, in the entry, they have a slot on the wall with menus, that you can take with you- even have the prices listed. The one thing they don't have is desert, we went over to Moosebirds for ice cream. I'm not a big desert guy, but the people I was with wanted a treat. If I have desert, it's usually a shot of Bailey's on the rocks!

1 hour ago, CigarGuy said:

Four of us went there for dinner last night. Had burgers and a wrap. All were good, service was great. Had a couple of vodka/lemonade's,  they could've used a little more vodka ?. The owners dad, Mark was interacting with all the customers, asking how the food and service was. I think it's back! Btw Del, in the entry, they have a slot on the wall with menus, that you can take with you- even have the prices listed. The one thing they don't have is desert, we went over to Moosebirds for ice cream. I'm not a big desert guy, but the people I was with wanted a treat. If I have desert, it's usually a shot of Bailey's on the rocks!

I've been there twice this summer.   It was fine.   Haven't been eating out as much.   

Went by your place yesterday.   Didn't see signs of life...  At least I think I remember which place is yours.  Between the guy with the runabout and the guy with the carvings?   

My new neighbors just got a pontoon boat- between him and the carvings. How can you forget the stairway to hell? I've only been there twice also, but it's been positive experience both times. I'm up here by myself, so not much going on. Heading back to the cities soon, starting to get bummed out!

who has the runabout looking boat?  looks new but for sure not a fishing boat.    There are several stairways to hell along there.  You will live forever from the exercise going up and down...?

50 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

who has the runabout looking boat?  looks new but for sure not a fishing boat.    There are several stairways to hell along there.  You will live forever from the exercise going up and down...?

Just got home. People aren't following the new " move over" law very well.  The people with the runabout are 4 places down from me. Funny, we were talking about that boat when we were out for dinner last night. He bought it used several years again and it still looks brand new. Waxes and cleans it all the time, takes his shoes off when he boards it. He's the type of owner you want to buy a boat from! My stairs will either kill me or extent my life several years. I met with a hillside lift guy a few years ago, would cost me about 25,000 for a lift. 

Buy an old magic carpet from a ski-hill...

I've boated by your place many times this summer CigarGuy, and always see your boat on the lift and no lights on. I was beginning to think that you un-retired!

Edited by SkunkedAgain

4 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Buy an old magic carpet from a ski-hill...

I've boated by your place many times this summer CigarGuy, and always see your boat on the lift and no lights on. I was beginning to think that you un-retired!

Not retired yet......hopefully, 1 year and 11 days, but who's counting?  I get laid-off in the winter, so, I've been practicing. I'm up at least every other wknd.  A few weeks ago we rented a pontoon boat, so the boat didn't leave the lift and I've been out fishing with my neighbor in his boat a couple times. Maybe one of the ski hills will give me an old gondola.