• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It was closed at 4:30pm when I arrive on Friday the 21st and still closed when I left on Monday the 24th. Not a great business model.

From what I've heard, new owners don't take over until spring. So, it might be closed all winter. I can't even tell ya the last time I've seen it opened- even though the "open" sign seems to be turned on most of the time.  Hope I'm wrong on not being open all winter. Missing out on a lot of winter business. Had to go to Ely last Saturday and the bar there on the trail (Benchwarmers ?) Has 20+ sleds on the lot. Ate at The Crescent on the way back and the lot had quite a few sleds in it and they were coming and going the entire time we were there.

I wanted to try South Switch, but there were only 2 pick-up trucks there and I chickened out. Everything I hear about it is good, just couldn't do it ?

I have never been disappointed with the food at the South Switch,,,, But I normally get there by snowmobile,,, Service is always faster when less vehicles/sleds are in the lot 

17 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

I wanted to try South Switch, but there were only 2 pick-up trucks there and I chickened out. Everything I hear about it is good, just couldn't do it ?

That's kind of like not going to the gas station because all the pumps weren't full.

Go, it's your new mission in life. Enjoy a good burger and an Old Style!

Edited by SkunkedAgain

The Crescent is fine.  Food is OK, not great.  Service is OK.  It 's not on the lake, can't get there by boat and overlooks a swamp.

The Landing, on the other hand, has a beautiful view of Lake Vermilion and is accessible by boat.  Imagine what it could be with the right management.  I'm very hopeful it comes back better than ever.  If it does I will support it whole-heatedly.

10 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

That's kind of like not going to the gas station because all the pumps weren't full.

Go, it's your new mission in life. Enjoy a good burger and an Old Style!

I will try it!  Here I thought you were a young man....Old Style, I've had a few in my day?

2 hours ago, Raven77 said:

The Crescent is fine.  Food is OK, not great.  Service is OK.  It 's not on the lake, can't get there by boat and overlooks a swamp.

The Landing, on the other hand, has a beautiful view of Lake Vermilion and is accessible by boat.  Imagine what it could be with the right management.  I'm very hopeful it comes back better than ever.  If it does I will support it whole-heatedly.

I agree with you on The Crescent.  I don't think there's a more perfect setting on the lake than The Landing, hope for the best for the new owners!  Saw some fisher people out by your house this afternoon, was that you?  If so, how bad is the slush?

2 hours ago, Raven77 said:

We liked the landing until the management made some questionable decisions as to their business plan and strategy.   They are only the latest to find out that ignoring locals and trying to fleece the visitors is a losing proposition on Vermilion

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/4/2019 at 9:33 PM, CigarGuy said:

I will try it!  Here I thought you were a young man....Old Style, I've had a few in my day?

I'm not retired yet, if that's what you mean by young! I would've suggested Schlitz but that's harder to come by on tap these days.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

I'm not retired yet, if that's what you mean by young! I would've suggested Schlitz but that's harder to come by on tap these days.

I'm not quite retired either but I always thought they should have taken the "L" out of Schlitz.?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 2

Been going to the Big V for 51 years and staying on the West end. Usually get up there 3 times a year and have visited the Landing and the old Red Onion many times. Would agree that prices have got up there the last few years but every year we comment to our group what a tough place to make a living with such a short season. Location on the lake is great and always fun to take a trip there by boat but sure not the perfect location when the major population is not close by.  I am sure management thinks they have to make money in such a short season. Have to figure out a way to get the local population back in the doors.  Have tried to go a couple of times in the last 2 years only to find them closed during season and then made our way over to the Crescent.  Not a bad northwoods bar but just not the atmosphere of looking out across the lake with a beer and a burger. Hope someone can keep the place open. Will do our part by giving it a try.

• I Like it 1

If filling the place is goal. Make money pile$!!!

They could deal in food n booze for sure, then addition it up, add small ENTERTAINMENT ANNEX. 

Dancing girls all ages loud music an a MAN NITE  on weekends would totally fill it all day everyday with every kind of man n women you can find. lurking round the northland.

Deep Money pockets with lots to spend an itches to scratch, values of a snakefish.

Oh yeah, sin bin would totally fill n reward owners money wise, but maybe doom them in community...but money talks so any thing is possible.

: )

Six o ten times when guiding high on list of questions during day or before exiting to home after day was "Hey MT. where is the best local joint for good meal, booze and well The Dancers XX or ya know hot women's of the range"

Yup!

My before marriage party years and studdly reputation an good looks preseed meeting inperson an guess I just look like a guy who likes a beer an a beautiful women an have no trouble finding both ….me is known  an wide in many city's, county's, country's.

Married, single, rich n poor young or old guests all wanted to go to The Place.?

"I live on my island ice out to ice up, guess I'm outatouch on info for ya there buddy."

Maybe ask the 1st bartender ya meet or the owner of the places you crashing at an see what happens.

Can't hurt, might help, mom always told me. "If ya don't ask, you will never get"

Or, sever the best food you possibly can at easy going prices, prepared by quality chef, severed by wait staff that DO NOT come to table with the "WHAT CAN I GET FOR YOU GUYS"  Crap and provide a fun, good time for everyone even emplyoees an you have a gold mine.

Make it not to easy to get in helps also....people go nuts when you put limits on things.....folding money flys.

Any way...just having fun.

I'm a great cook, but there are occasions I love a PIZZA in summer an big fat nasty pizza well done makes me smile.

Hope all goes well for new owners.  Tuff biz to be in, two highs always deflated by six lows in the food biz, keep on smiling or yer doomed.

Plus well people like "Hi I'm Sandy, I'll be serving you, could I get you a refreshment before you are ready to order?"

BINGO!!

This thing is deeper than you or I know...

Happy Day, Big Smiles.

Keep on rocken!

T

McStrugle.jpg

FOURBELOW!.jpg

• Yayyyy 3

Agrre with you MT. Biggest turn off at a restaurant is a server that wants to know what I can get for you guys. Ugh! Hoping as is everyone that the new owners of the Landing can be successful.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cool to see people feedback on post like this. Thanks!

Just 4 fun junk by me but can be more, humor works an great ideas, friendships are formed with laughter, positive mini story board type dart toss idea stuff and even need the negative as makes yer mind work.

Better than just gossip an finger pointing junk.

Hard biz to be in. 

Really do wish everyone involved great success and happy good times.

Hope it all works out for everyone, owners, employees, community, vacation guests.

:)

One thing a NEW place needs is an "THING" to bring in guests.

Keep Them Coming Back.

Talking about experience online or in the boat other eatery's.

Feel welcome, needed, to have fun and relax, bellys full, taste buds satisfied.

Big Smiles and healthy BURP prove the point.  AHHHHHHH!

Nice View with Cluck fingers n beer or pop are ok but I can get this myself cheaper n sit on my own dock or go watch the fun weekend warriors or vacation people putting in the boats at local launch.

Never ending top of the line humor fun there...FREE!

Always good to lend a hand an make new friends that way.

Hmmmm….Not just regular burger n fry bar. 

Not just Wings Wednesday n creepy mediocre fish n frys or FRIED EVERYTHING.

Boring an not a challenge for any chef or good cook.

LiL money.

Serious owners will find a way as what their guest really want and in time be very successful.

Hope so.

Coolimoolio!

Old thing I learned in blue collar food biz n guiding n touring and many warehouse jobs growing up long ago is repetition n boredom  kills.

Service n employees Get up N Go.

LiL saying I came up with reminds us Change is good.

"We are are always challenging an changing the way we do things to better serve our clients, guests and family's."

"Nothing good comes Easy, Nothing wrong is Ever Right"

Sort a works in many life things if you let it,  JUST DO IT!

Be safe on lake, have success in all you do in 2019 and please, enjoy it ALL!

No do~ overs...this is it.

Big Smiles!

T

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Can delete my 1st or this above post or graphics if out of line. 

Not intended to be nasty or mean.

Just finger yapping aim at humor for fun while watching Tip up spread n Horrible Wild Card football and today watching hound pups go at it hard in new snow. Love it all!

Don't Be That Guy!!

BILLKREBS.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Just saw on facebook

MESSAGE FROM THE LANDING ON LAKE VERMILION IN COOK
First, and foremost, we would like to thank all of the people that supported and frequented The Landing in the last 6 years! Along with many regional awards, we were named a Top Ten Destination for Families the last 3 years!

In 2013, we purchased The Landing wanting to initially convert the building to a vacation home. With many resort owners and local individuals worried about losing another destination on Lake Vermilion, we decided to take the Landing and convert it to a multiple revenue destination with ample seating and systems to accommodate all the seasonal volume.

In 2017, a number of parties approached us asking if we were interested in selling the property and business. After much consideration, we decided to test the market, and we were pleasantly surprised by the number of interested parties! Many of these parties were extremely complementary on the overall positive changes in customer service, ambiance, quality of drink and food, and having a place that was respectable enough to bring their friends and families.

Upon reaching all our goals we set out with when we purchased The Landing 6 years ago, we decided it was time to find our next venture. Being business oriented, we were able to control the fixed and variable expenses that were lacking by the previous owners, which helped make The Landing a profitable and highly attractive property. We were able to capitalize on a market that lacked systems, customer service and quality food.

With that being said, we found a respectable individual to purchase The Landing on March 1, 2019. We are pleased with the overall transaction of selling The Landing and with the individual that is purchasing the business and property. It is our hope that you show the same respect for the new owner that we received for the last 6 years.

We feel blessed to have made such wonderful friends! We wish the new owner the best of luck in the future! Lake Vermilion is a wonderful lake and needs as many destinations as possible!

Again, we want to thank all of you! Just to avoid confusion and any rumor trail: yes, Tony and Matt, sold The Landing. We also sold all our remaining properties in the Lake Vermilion area.

We wish all you a positive future, with good health and many memories.

Take care!

Tony and Matt

On 3/9/2019 at 10:15 AM, CLOTAGAMES said:

Just saw on facebook

MESSAGE FROM THE LANDING ON LAKE VERMILION IN COOK
First, and foremost, we would like to thank all of the people that supported and frequented The Landing in the last 6 years! Along with many regional awards, we were named a Top Ten Destination for Families the last 3 years!

In 2013, we purchased The Landing wanting to initially convert the building to a vacation home. With many resort owners and local individuals worried about losing another destination on Lake Vermilion, we decided to take the Landing and convert it to a multiple revenue destination with ample seating and systems to accommodate all the seasonal volume.

In 2017, a number of parties approached us asking if we were interested in selling the property and business. After much consideration, we decided to test the market, and we were pleasantly surprised by the number of interested parties! Many of these parties were extremely complementary on the overall positive changes in customer service, ambiance, quality of drink and food, and having a place that was respectable enough to bring their friends and families.

Upon reaching all our goals we set out with when we purchased The Landing 6 years ago, we decided it was time to find our next venture. Being business oriented, we were able to control the fixed and variable expenses that were lacking by the previous owners, which helped make The Landing a profitable and highly attractive property. We were able to capitalize on a market that lacked systems, customer service and quality food.

With that being said, we found a respectable individual to purchase The Landing on March 1, 2019. We are pleased with the overall transaction of selling The Landing and with the individual that is purchasing the business and property. It is our hope that you show the same respect for the new owner that we received for the last 6 years.

We feel blessed to have made such wonderful friends! We wish the new owner the best of luck in the future! Lake Vermilion is a wonderful lake and needs as many destinations as possible!

Again, we want to thank all of you! Just to avoid confusion and any rumor trail: yes, Tony and Matt, sold The Landing. We also sold all our remaining properties in the Lake Vermilion area.

We wish all you a positive future, with good health and many memories.

Take care!

Tony and Matt

I read that on Facebook and responded to it. It’s awesome that it sold. Cannot believe the arrogance of tony and Matt calling out previous owners. Couple of jerks...

• Thumbs Up 2

I looked at there Facebook page and the last post I see is from July 5, am I doing something wrong?

Fun to read the comments.   Last time I looked at the for sale listing it was for the business and stuff not the property.  

They bought it to turn into a vacation home?     Seriously?   

PS if I did it right the property and buildings is only assessed at $341k.

http://reports.stlouiscountymn.gov/ssrs_wrapper/ShowSSRSReport.aspx?reportPath=%2fAssessor%2fPropertyDetails%2fMain&pdf=true&param1=parcelnum=250-0020-02250

Well, see ya Fellas!    Obviously you had no real world business skill, just a pocket full of cash to burn and a chip on your shoulders.   This note pretty much sums up how ignorant/ arrogant you two are. 

Better off leaving the stress and living a better life, best wishes!

Crossing fingers that the new owners are not as just flat out intolerable as the last....... I won’t hold my breath.

About a month ago, I heard that there were a couple of major issues that came up with the property that could have caused some issues with the purchase of the place. Glad they got it figured out! After reading the Facebook post from the owners, one word comes to mind "delusional". I've met the new owner a while back, prior to any mention of interest in The Landing. 

11 minutes ago, CigarGuy said:

About a month ago, I heard that there were a couple of major issues that came up with the property that could have caused some issues with the purchase of the place. Glad they got it figured out! After reading the Facebook post from the owners, one word comes to mind "delusional". I've met the new owner a while back, prior to any mention of interest in The Landing. 

So, did they seem sane?  Nice?   Understanding?

Seems like a nice young man. Hopefully, he'll read the responses from all the "love" that was shared about the previous owners?  Wonder why Tony and Matt didn't post the info on The Landings Facebook site? 

So glad those bums are gone! Best place on the lake, but was a complete $h!7 show while under their ownership. The only good thing they did was the cosmetic facelift. The place looks great! How they managed to survive as long as they did is a head scratcher.

Here’s hoping the new owner can do the place right. Run properly, a guy should be able to do pretty well from themselves with this place. 

Looking forward to to enjoying a few brews out there this summer!

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

So, did they seem sane?  Nice?   Understanding?

I met one of them back when they first took over. He seemed nice, but clearly had a vision that was delusional for this part of the country. He’d been better suited setting up shop on Minnetonka, not Vermilion.