• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

monstermoose78

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

IceHawk

Good luck moose definitely some nice Panfish in that system. Might have to make a run over there myself had some great days on that lake!

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Went fishing with a friend and we fished hard and caught 5 crappies. We mark them they just did not want to bite. We were fishing the deep basin fish. We tried big baits, small baits, micro baits, live bait, and plastics the fish did not show liking to any of them. I got one on a buck spoon with waxies and one off a 5 mm and a maki mino and my friend caught one on a rippin rap, 5 mm and euros, and on off a fat boy jig and a wax worm. 

monstermoose78

The wing bolt on my auger sheared off yesterday. So I spent some time getting the bolt out. Then I was off looking for the strongest bolts I could find. The auger is good to go again. Seeing I have about 5000 holes drilled with it upgrading the bolts is worth it. There is a lot of ice this year and I am not having any issue powering through it with dcd985 and the clam plate. I am getting some of the ice chips out of the hole before busting through, but I did that with the lazer mag too. 

I think I am going to hit green lake after dark for some crappies with my father in law. 

• Thanks 1

Rube

Was on Green Thursday , fished from 3:30 to 8:30. Caught 3 nice crappies and some small perch. Funny thing the crappies were caught between 4 and 5. Not a bite after dark,  they  ( or something) was there but would not bite on anything I put in front of them. Caught the 3 in deep water with a frostee and minnow. Good Luck Moose.  I may try Little Elk this afternoon

tview

Was on green Thurs night was able to find a few fish in 24ft between 4:30 and 7:00  bite was OK we ending up keeping about 10 nice eaters. heading back out today 

• Like 1

Rube

Good for you tview- gives me faith that they do bite a little later. Maybe I was in too deep of water ( 28- 29 ft). gotta have some excuse.  Anyway did not go to Elk, but just got back from Lory and Lewis, Lory had active fish bite of very small sunnies and crappies.  Ended up on Lewis for the later bite, and caught some marginal size keepers, both sunnies & crappies - pretty slow bite. Had to dodge deer on the way home- they were all over between Dalbo and Bradford on 47.

monstermoose78

Hey all just a reminder you will need a new license March 1!!

Well it looks like we should be ice fishing for another month or more. There is some snow coming, so if you need to get you house off the lake it might be wise do it now.

bites: green crappies, little elk gills sorting but you will catch them eaters, skogman has good from numbers of gills and crappies, and Lori lake for crappies.

the turkey fever is starting to set in for me

monstermoose78

I will be going out for the night bite on green this week. I need to find some more fish as the wife wants a fresh fish dinner.

• Thanks 2

IceHawk

nice batch  moose!

• Like 1

Tom Sawyer

Good eats!

• Like 1

Wanderer

You were due!  What a great day to have a great catch!

eyeguy 54

nice job moose, grandma will be smiling again. 

KrappieKilla05

Good work Moose!  Nice batch of gills you've got!

monstermoose78

Finn and I went to take out some crows today. I should had a pile of them, but I was leading them to much. The only one I got drive bombed my caller and had the wind at its back. Finn made a good retrieve and was happy to be in the woods hunting again. I am grinding them up for dog food for the pointing chihuahuas . 

C7F8B6E1-C67E-419E-9B41-49CC9AC36E07.jpeg

monstermoose78

I might go exploring today to see what the lakes have for snow depth on them.

monstermoose78

Well the lakes are a mess deep deep slush. I am not sure how deep but deep enough to concern me. I did not get stuck but I backed out. I did not go on Baxter as no one had plowed the access. Green looked bad and blue was the deep slush lake. Finn was my copilot for the fun. We checked a few spots to hunt crows for tomorrow. 

monstermoose78

Going to lake Osakis with St. Cloud guys tomorrow!!

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Well the bite was ok. I caught some great crappies 9-13 inchers on plastics. I got some gills on plastics, but was out fished by Rick G on gills 6 to 1.Eyeguy our fished me on gills as well. It was nice to bs with Icehawk, Tom, and Joe. My biggest gill was 9.25 and released rick had some pushing 10 all were released.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rick G

I dont think I out fished you... I think you must have saw every fish I caught.. It was a challenge for sure.

monstermoose78

Get out there with this amazing weather!! The fish are on the munch was fishing a point near deep water. You all know what I was using for bait if not ask. 

EBC218DE-3BB3-4165-8BA4-08774B128CC2.jpeg

E63E2D6B-60A1-4D5D-8E99-EF99AF852DB1.jpeg

9EF6782C-B6EC-4844-AB35-9B048EDE1AD7.jpeg

9FC9128D-4694-47AC-B8B3-3692171F37CC.jpeg

6E4A0F27-A5C8-4D2B-9BEA-9836EA79C302.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

monstermoose78

Went out today to get the father in law out and meet Eyeguy for some fishing fun! What a great day to be alive and fishing. I was using my pug bug like always and Eyeguy was putting the hurt to the gills with 3 mm jig. I grabbed my gander mountain special with a fribil titanium spring bobber and put a jig just like eyeguy’s on and it was game on. I am not sure how many fish were caught, but it was a good number. I released all my fish which I normally do and just enjoyed catching them. I did watch Eyeguy to see how he jigs for them gills. I tried to match Eyeguy’s style. It is important to watch how people work a jig.

gills ranged from 4-9.25 inches and crappies 5-10.75 inches. Plenty of eater sized gills and crappies were caught. 

• Like 1

eyeguy 54

fun day for sure moose. always a good time when we hit the ice. :) 

• Like 2

leech~~
1 hour ago, monstermoose78 said:

gills ranged from 4-9.25 inches and crappies 5-10.75 inches. Plenty of eater sized gills and crappies were caught. 

Yes the pictures of them look great! :whistle: 

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye fishing has been great using bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Anglers are being selective to fill limits with 16-18” fish as well as a few over 28 released. Most success has been in the mud, off of structure in 21-23 feet and 26-30 feet. The largest fish seem to come from South of Garden Island on crank-baits.

Canadian walleye are also most effectively targeted with bottom bouncers and spinners. Depth has not been as important as being at the bottom of a break line in the flat. Gold with chartreuse has been best as of late.  Musky activity has slowed from the prior weeks but expect it to ramp up with the full moon approaching. Perch have been schooled up on and around reefs topping out around 30 feet.

Water temps remain consistently in the low to mid 70’s. 

Remember - fall is the time for trophy fish up at the NW Angle!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Water temps are consitently in the mid to high 70’s.
      Walleye in Minnesota can be caught on reefs with a jig and minnow. More productive methods currently are bottom bouncers and crank-baits in 24-28 feet of water.  Covering a lot of ground is key when the fish arent schooled together.  We have had many 40”+ Pike caught while trolling, reports of large Muskie also.
      Candian walleye are spread out as well, making bottom bouncing and deep cranks the ticket to success. Fish mud bottomed areas deeper than 25ft for best results. Many nice jumbo perch limits have been coming in recently. They are biting on a jig and fathead and are concentrated at 28-30ft.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are starting in the low 70’s in the morning, reaching mid to upper 70’s in the evening.

Minnesota walleye action can be hot running deep diving crank-baits straight, down rigging or lead core. Soft bottom areas can also be worked with spinners and a night crawler.  Fish have been favoring gold on bright days and orange, chartreus or pink in low light.  Many larger northern pike this last week in the boat via crank-baits just outside of rock reefs and points.

Canadian walleye fishing has been more productive away from reefs and points in soft bottomed areas. The best method is to pull a spinner to find concentrations along the bottom and switch to jigging to fill out limits.

Musky attitude in Canada varies day to day. Plenty of fish are still being caught in shallow weeds including a couple of 50+ giants this past week.  Fish are also being caught in more traditional mid-summer spots such as rock reefs and points.  The most productive baits this week were crane baits or other flat baits, buck tails and top waters. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, walleyes and pike have been found using crank-baits on the south side of Oak Island.  Walleye have also been caught pulling spinners in 26-30 feet using gold and green.

In Ontario, walleye have been very active using pink and orange jigs on the breaks of reefs or casting shallow crank-baits in 8-12 feet by rocky shoreline points.  A good mixed bag of smallmouth and pike have been found with the walleye as well.

Musky fishing has really picked up with lots of fish over 40+ inches.  Fishing sand and weedy bays near rock reefs have produced well using buck-tails, small crank-baits and top-water baits. 

Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 😃
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are currently hovering in the mid 70’s.

Minnesota walleye action has been really good with bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Gold spinners with hints of chartreuse, orange or just hammered gold are favored.  Walleye and occasional large pike can be had trolling deep diving crank baits around shoreline breaks and reefs.

Canadian walleye fishing continues to excite anglers via jigs and minnows. Pink or white jigs tipped with shiners will put fish in the boat.  Night crawlers on spinners will produce fish in the mud deeper than 25 feet. 

Musky action has been all over the place, fish are still being found in sandy, weedy bays, rock points and reefs.  The nearing new moon should have fish on the prowl this week. 

Congratulations to our neighbor and local guide, Forrest Huset and his dad Sean on their victory at the Lake of the Woods Musky Bowl this weekend!

Another neighbor, Jerry Klema, landed a 29 1/2 inch trophy walleye last week!

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• monstermoose78
      Yeah geese and mallards were flying today
    • Fish Head
      I'll give the noise supressor a try Bob.  Both units were purchased at the same time.    yoppdk- I checked my unit and I don't see any such setting on the 998.  There is a low battery alarm setting, but that is already turned to off. 
    • Hoey
      This terminal could have been comprised, cracked or corroded to cause this.  
    • Hoey
      Geese are beginning to flock as I seen a number flying over the past couple days.
    • Better Than Working!
      Our last trip last year required driving through a snow storm! But that time of year is special!
    • Borch
      Will fish around Paynesville, Cass Lake and maybe Osakis.  I generally fish right up to freeze up/firearms deer season in the boat. 
    • Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!   Minnesota walleye fishing has been great using bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Anglers are being selective to fill limits with 16-18” fish as well as a few over 28 released. Most success has been in the mud, off of structure in 21-23 feet and 26-30 feet. The largest fish seem to come from South of Garden Island on crank-baits.   Canadian walleye are also most effectively targeted with bottom bouncers and spinners. Depth has not been as important as being at the bottom of a break line in the flat. Gold with chartreuse has been best as of late.  Musky activity has slowed from the prior weeks but expect it to ramp up with the full moon approaching. Perch have been schooled up on and around reefs topping out around 30 feet.   Water temps remain consistently in the low to mid 70’s.    Remember - fall is the time for trophy fish up at the NW Angle!   Until next week,   Sunset Lodge
    • Better Than Working!
      I am spending Labor Day week on Kabetogama with my wife. Never been to Kab before so I am looking forward to hopefully figuring out a new lake with good multi-species potential. Any tips from anybody would be appreciated. After that it will be the anticipation of late October and Rainy River! That is probably my favorite trip of the year.
    • Rick
      A project to improve long-term water quality and wildlife habitat on Pelican Lake in Wright County may cause some short-term inconvenience for waterfowl hunters this fall, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.  The public water access managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on the west side of Pelican Lake will not be usable for boats larger than a canoe or kayak, due to lower water levels created by a drawdown of the lake. While boats may be launched from the state-managed public water access on the southwest side of the lake, parking there is limited. Parking is not allowed within the immediate ramp area; it also is prohibited along the shoulders of 40th Street Northeast, the adjacent road. The DNR is in the process of designing and constructing a new public boat access on the northwest corner of Pelican Lake.  The project will be started in the fall, but likely will not be completed this year. Some private lake access may be available by arrangement with local landowners; contact DNR area wildlife manager Fred Bengtson for more information: 320-223-7840. Pelican Lake is in the middle of a multi-year drawdown aimed at improving water quality and creating better habitat for waterfowl and other wildlife. Once considered a waterfowl mecca, slowly rising water levels over some 30 years had killed much of the aquatic vegetation that stabilizes shoreline and provides needed food for migrating ducks. With help from Ducks Unlimited and constitutionally dedicated money from the Legacy Fund, an outlet was created for the lake in 2014 to lower water levels in several stages, with a pumping facility added in 2016. The drawdown will allow soils to consolidate and promote the growth of aquatic vegetation needed by ducks for food and habitat. In addition to providing critical waterfowl habitat, the project also will result in significantly cleaner water. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • monstermoose78
      A friend took this photo this weekend