• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

monstermoose78

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

IceHawk

Good luck moose definitely some nice Panfish in that system. Might have to make a run over there myself had some great days on that lake!

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Went fishing with a friend and we fished hard and caught 5 crappies. We mark them they just did not want to bite. We were fishing the deep basin fish. We tried big baits, small baits, micro baits, live bait, and plastics the fish did not show liking to any of them. I got one on a buck spoon with waxies and one off a 5 mm and a maki mino and my friend caught one on a rippin rap, 5 mm and euros, and on off a fat boy jig and a wax worm. 

monstermoose78

The wing bolt on my auger sheared off yesterday. So I spent some time getting the bolt out. Then I was off looking for the strongest bolts I could find. The auger is good to go again. Seeing I have about 5000 holes drilled with it upgrading the bolts is worth it. There is a lot of ice this year and I am not having any issue powering through it with dcd985 and the clam plate. I am getting some of the ice chips out of the hole before busting through, but I did that with the lazer mag too. 

I think I am going to hit green lake after dark for some crappies with my father in law. 

• Thanks 1

Rube

Was on Green Thursday , fished from 3:30 to 8:30. Caught 3 nice crappies and some small perch. Funny thing the crappies were caught between 4 and 5. Not a bite after dark,  they  ( or something) was there but would not bite on anything I put in front of them. Caught the 3 in deep water with a frostee and minnow. Good Luck Moose.  I may try Little Elk this afternoon

tview

Was on green Thurs night was able to find a few fish in 24ft between 4:30 and 7:00  bite was OK we ending up keeping about 10 nice eaters. heading back out today 

• Like 1

Rube

Good for you tview- gives me faith that they do bite a little later. Maybe I was in too deep of water ( 28- 29 ft). gotta have some excuse.  Anyway did not go to Elk, but just got back from Lory and Lewis, Lory had active fish bite of very small sunnies and crappies.  Ended up on Lewis for the later bite, and caught some marginal size keepers, both sunnies & crappies - pretty slow bite. Had to dodge deer on the way home- they were all over between Dalbo and Bradford on 47.

monstermoose78

Hey all just a reminder you will need a new license March 1!!

Well it looks like we should be ice fishing for another month or more. There is some snow coming, so if you need to get you house off the lake it might be wise do it now.

bites: green crappies, little elk gills sorting but you will catch them eaters, skogman has good from numbers of gills and crappies, and Lori lake for crappies.

the turkey fever is starting to set in for me

monstermoose78

I will be going out for the night bite on green this week. I need to find some more fish as the wife wants a fresh fish dinner.

• Thanks 2

IceHawk

nice batch  moose!

• Like 1

Tom Sawyer

Good eats!

• Like 1

Wanderer

You were due!  What a great day to have a great catch!

eyeguy 54

nice job moose, grandma will be smiling again. 

KrappieKilla05

Good work Moose!  Nice batch of gills you've got!

monstermoose78

Finn and I went to take out some crows today. I should had a pile of them, but I was leading them to much. The only one I got drive bombed my caller and had the wind at its back. Finn made a good retrieve and was happy to be in the woods hunting again. I am grinding them up for dog food for the pointing chihuahuas . 

C7F8B6E1-C67E-419E-9B41-49CC9AC36E07.jpeg

monstermoose78

I might go exploring today to see what the lakes have for snow depth on them.

monstermoose78

Well the lakes are a mess deep deep slush. I am not sure how deep but deep enough to concern me. I did not get stuck but I backed out. I did not go on Baxter as no one had plowed the access. Green looked bad and blue was the deep slush lake. Finn was my copilot for the fun. We checked a few spots to hunt crows for tomorrow. 

monstermoose78

Going to lake Osakis with St. Cloud guys tomorrow!!

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Well the bite was ok. I caught some great crappies 9-13 inchers on plastics. I got some gills on plastics, but was out fished by Rick G on gills 6 to 1.Eyeguy our fished me on gills as well. It was nice to bs with Icehawk, Tom, and Joe. My biggest gill was 9.25 and released rick had some pushing 10 all were released.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rick G

I dont think I out fished you... I think you must have saw every fish I caught.. It was a challenge for sure.

monstermoose78

Get out there with this amazing weather!! The fish are on the munch was fishing a point near deep water. You all know what I was using for bait if not ask. 

EBC218DE-3BB3-4165-8BA4-08774B128CC2.jpeg

E63E2D6B-60A1-4D5D-8E99-EF99AF852DB1.jpeg

9EF6782C-B6EC-4844-AB35-9B048EDE1AD7.jpeg

9FC9128D-4694-47AC-B8B3-3692171F37CC.jpeg

6E4A0F27-A5C8-4D2B-9BEA-9836EA79C302.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

monstermoose78

Went out today to get the father in law out and meet Eyeguy for some fishing fun! What a great day to be alive and fishing. I was using my pug bug like always and Eyeguy was putting the hurt to the gills with 3 mm jig. I grabbed my gander mountain special with a fribil titanium spring bobber and put a jig just like eyeguy’s on and it was game on. I am not sure how many fish were caught, but it was a good number. I released all my fish which I normally do and just enjoyed catching them. I did watch Eyeguy to see how he jigs for them gills. I tried to match Eyeguy’s style. It is important to watch how people work a jig.

gills ranged from 4-9.25 inches and crappies 5-10.75 inches. Plenty of eater sized gills and crappies were caught. 

• Like 1

eyeguy 54

fun day for sure moose. always a good time when we hit the ice. :) 

• Like 2

leech~~
1 hour ago, monstermoose78 said:

gills ranged from 4-9.25 inches and crappies 5-10.75 inches. Plenty of eater sized gills and crappies were caught. 

Yes the pictures of them look great! :whistle: 

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      So if you are like me and have a jig addiction please help. I am looking for 3 mm sized jigs with bigger hooks. Why you ask I have been fishing lakes with big gills, but also have big crappies. Those tiny hooks on the 3 mm jigs just don’t seem to hold those crappies as well. I found the clam xl jigs but they are between 3.75-5 bucks jig. Anyone know where to find some small jigs with bigger hooks please let me know. Would you all be interested in finding jigs like this as well. Thanks 
    • Rick
      By Rick

Some of the shallowest panfish we catch each winter happen in March during late ice on many fisheries.  Fun sight fishing patterns often emerge.  Fish can sometimes be found in a few feet of water under the ice.  Shallow weed patterns often come alive at late ice.  Many anglers assume that aquatic vegetation has to be green and vibrant in order to hold fish.   While still green weeds do hold fish, dead stands of weeds will also hold fish if the weeds provide cover and there is good oxygen.  When the ice begins to rot along the shorelines and water begins to seep into the lake along the shorelines, shallow water can be extremely productive.
      One of my absolute favorite locations for looking for shallow water bluegills at late ice is really shallow pencil reeds.  Pencil reed beds are common on many lakes and often hold big fish.  In many cases… depending on the thickness of the ice,  we might only be fishing in two to three feet of water under the ice.
      These pencil reed locations can really vary in size and profile.  Some dish bowl lakes might simply see pencil reeds lining the rim of the lake where there is the right sand bottom composition.  Other locations might be prominent reefs and bars that might be several acres.  My favorite type of location features pencil reeds that are growing out into five or six feet of water with a little bit of a roll to the contour where there is a sharper break running along the outside edge of the reeds.
      There are many strategies to fishing these reed beds but there is one overriding challenge.  You have to drill several holes to really figure out the nuances of the location but drilling a lot of holes over these shallow locations seems to push the fish off.
      Can’t prove this but it seems like electric augers and smaller bits seem less intrusive.  Six and four inch augers shine for cutting enough holes to really figure out these locations.  On the flip side, these smaller holes are terrible for sight fishing.  If you are planning on strictly sight fishing, use an eight or ten inch auger to give you a bigger window and let everything settle down after you drill your holes.  Another tip is to not drive vehicles over the location or drag anything on the ice.  When initially figuring out a location, we typically drill a lot of holes for simply learning the spot.
      You can walk from hole to hole and fish but what we so often find is that we catch a lot more fish by recognizing the sweet spots and waiting out fish.  The sweet spots are often open lanes and cuts, troughs and dips in the bottom that funnel fish movements.  Once you recognize and locate these spots, you can sit and let everything settle down.  Seen it happen often where you drill your holes and it takes five to ten minutes for fish to come back underneath you.
      You can definitely fish too aggressive and move too much in this type of situation because the reality is that fish might be scooting ten to twenty feet away from each step you take.  Have also seen situations where fish wouldn’t swim underneath a shelter or sled.  As a rule of thumb, you can get away with much more noise and presence if you are alone and on the spot first. As angling pressure increases over multiple days however, it seems like fish become more sensitive to everything.  The more you fish a location and learn the spot on the spots however the less holes you have to drill and the less intrusive you can be.
      Big bull bluegills in pencil reeds can be a handful.  These fish can wrap you up and break you off.  Because this can often be combat fishing, I often opt for heavier line like the Frost Four Pound  Mono.  This isn’t finesse fishing.  Because four pound test can lack sensitivity, I often use tungsten jigs even in this often shallow water just because the added weight of tungsten improves the performance of heavier lines.
      These patterns are notorious for producing big bluegills and this is fun fishing.  Much like trying to pull a heavy bass from out underneath a dock or laydown, there is an element of drama when fighting big fish in heavy cover.  Focus on the troughs, holes and bowls or any sharp outside edge that is in tight proximity to high dense stands of rushes and you will typically find big bluegills at late ice.
      Just remember, shallow pencil reed patterns can often provide some exciting fishing opportunities for big bluegills at late ice.
      http://fishingminnesota.com/top-stories/the-skinny-on-bulls-late-season-panfish-ice-fishing-adjustments/
      by Jason MItchell
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. Minnesota fishermen can be selective of fish kept, as  they have had no problem filling Walleye limits.  17-19 feet will produce late in the day with 21-25 feet being most productive away from structure during mid day. Pink, white and gold have been most productive all around. Glow or UV have also had success during cloudy conditions if charged often.

Canada continues to give up Crappies between 25 and 32ft, still with a light setup and electronics. Many tulibee and the ocassional whitefish are being caught while crappie fishing.  Walleye in Canada on points and reefs remain easy to catch.

We still have plenty of ice on the Minnesota and Canadian side and trails are still being groomed. 

March is a great time for a last minute trip to the Angle!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

The Minnesota side is still kicking out fish between 18-25 feet. Fish are hitting jigging spoons when active; specifically White, Gold or U.V.  When activity levels are slow, try the Deadstick 8-10 inches from the bottom. We had numerous Giant Pike this week, all caught on Walleye spoons.

Canadian Walleye fishing is incredible. Fish are slamming aggressive presentations like rip’n raps and spoons tipped with Shiners. Crappie action varies day to day. An ultra-light set up is guaranteed to catch more Crappies than a walleye rod.

Trails are still being manicured and are in overall great condition. The warmer weather is exposing ice chunks off of the snowmobile trail and creating heaves, one near Knight Island deserves attention. Travel cautiously off of marked trails. We have 3+ feet of ice.

See you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been most productive in 20-24 feet of water.  Guests are bringing home their limits of Walleye and Sauger with the occasional Perch and Northern mixed in. Fish have been most active early and late in the day and the bite has been terrific. The use of electronics continues to be very beneficial with fish taking jigging spoons, jigg’n raps or rattle baits.  Snowmobile ttrails on the Minnesota side continue to be maintained and are in great shape. We are still making ice, with most spots at over 30 inches. 

North and East of us in Canada, big Crappies are coming in on light tackle setups out of 30 feet. If you are looking for walleye, they are everywhere!

Until next week, 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been really good this past week with good numbers of slot fish and a 30” walleye. We have been on the move with our houses and it is paying off.  Multiple houses producing an all day sauger bite with plenty of walleye mixed in. 20-24 feet is where we have found the most action. Glow and white/gold spoons have been the prefered color as of late. 

Our snowmobile and marked trails are in great condition.  Thirty inches of ice is common with 24 in higher current areas.

Up in Canada, limits of crappies are still being had in 30’ and deeper water.  Ultra light tackle and rod set up can make the difference some days, while other days crappies can be caught on Rip’n Raps and Jigging spoons.  Walleye action remains strong on reefs and points in 24-28 feet. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, limits of walleye and sauger are being caught between 22 and 25 feet. Presentation changes daily from deadstick to jigging but not both. Pink and white, or gold and chartreuse have had many slot fish and lost a few BIG ones.

The Canadian side of the lake has seen a lot of northern action, with the biggest closing in on 48.” Walleye are still plentiful off of reefs and points. Crappie action has been sporatic with the changing weather fronts. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye continue to be caught in 18-21 feet at the bottom of shoreline breaks.  Rattle baits and jigging spoons call fish to the holes, while a plain hook and minnow seals the deal. Perch and sauger are consistently found between 25 and 28 feet, walleye can be found there too for a good mid-day bite. The hottest bite this week was within an hour of sundown. 

Up in Canada, walleye fishing remains relatively easy, get yourself to a spot that looks like walleye structure and start reeling them in!
      Canadian crappies are still filling freezers at 28-32 feet, with small UV colored rip’n raps or a small jig and plastic.  Depth finders have proven to be a necessity with finding a pattern in the fish, whether it be rising or falling jigging action.  

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      1.22.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye fishing has been consistent between 18-21 feet. The most effective method is on the dead stick set slightly above the jigging rod. 25-28 feet is also filling buckets with a good walleye and sauger mix, even the occasional jumbo perch. Slender and Tundra spoons have been bringing fish to the house. We have also seen numerous northern pike this week with the largest being over 42.”
      Canadian walleye fishing remain excellent, especially along points and reefs. Crappie action has been hit or miss. The bite has been better in the morning with anglers limiting out in the first few hours. Fishing deeper than 28 feet is important to get good action.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• kelly-p
      According to the Army Corp of Engineers weather station here in Waskish we have had a grand total of  1.29 inches of precipitation so far in 2018.  When we were burning the grass of there was still about 30% snow cover. The flames were hitting 10 feet high.
    • Wanderer
      Nice to see there might actually be some ice melting up that way! jkrash, those are hooded mergansers though.   I might’ve called out my first woodie sighting this year as one of those too.  But nah!  I know what I saw had to be woodie! Haha! Seriously though, I’ve seen more, and more variety of ducks this spring than ever  in my life.  The late lake ice outs have made the river a diver Mecca.  I think I saw a few with Ely or bust signs on em too!  The bulk of woodies have been in the Little Falls area for about a week, some for a couple.  The hoodeds have been here for at least a month. They’re all coming though!
    • Wakemup
    • mrpike1973
      Wow great job!! Looks like a nice young generation of care takers of the land. Thank you all for your efforts! Sure a nice day today.
    • eyeguy 54
      I see one of my hot spots   Nice job JC and kids!
    • SkunkedAgain
      I just cut it out, dip it in the breading, fry it fins up/meat down, and eat the meat off like you are eating oysters.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Keep on rockin' Tommy. 
    • mrpike1973
      Thanks! those suckers are sure fun!
    • JeremyCampbell
      Bonus!! Glad to hear you caught fish already on open water.Might explore some water soon too.Sure is nice out
    • JeremyCampbell