• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

monstermoose78

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

Mike89

tree rat dinner!!!   

• Yayyyy 1

monstermoose78

Well every year I get excited for turkey 🦃 season, but this year it’s really bad I need the outdoors to clear my mind!!

CA000D5C-DAA5-479E-A0C2-DC8B82BB8D0A.png

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

eyeguy 54

Hang in there. Get out for a walk every day. 

monstermoose78
43 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Hang in there. Get out for a walk every day. 

I have with Finn

• Thumbs Up 2

monstermoose78
Posted (edited)

I hear the suckers are on the move!! Crappies and gills are hitting the shallows to feed. Turkeys are moving around so watch out.

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

monstermoose78

No turkeys moving yet! 

69AAB100-CE01-4C0B-8B77-53A4C0A71C53.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Rick G

I give you credit... I'm too impatient for that. I would likley shoot my decoys out of sheer boardum 🥴

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 2

gimruis

Panfish are in the shallows.  I caught probably 100 crappies, sunfish, and perch combined on Saturday afternoon in about 3-4 feet of water.  I was initially using a minnow but switched to a small plastic after I realized they would bite that just as willingly.  Mostly dinks but was constant action and was nice to get the boat wet again.  Water temp was 45-50 degrees.

• Thumbs Up 2

monstermoose78

Sat until the wind picked up.

2D58A5CB-DB3D-4493-B188-74D851DF9242.jpeg

4BE00B8D-0993-4F4B-8A50-581D310341FD.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

smurfy

👍 where you planning on tilling afterwards??🤔😄 nice pics.

monstermoose78
49 minutes ago, smurfy said:

👍 where you planning on tilling afterwards??🤔😄 nice pics.

No the neighbor has corn and a clover patch

smurfy
26 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

No the neighbor has corn and a clover patch

I asked because I seen what looks like a tiller in the background of your decoy.😄

monstermoose78
3 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I asked because I seen what looks like a tiller in the background of your decoy.😄

That tiller tossing a rod 

monstermoose78
Posted (edited)

Well this weekends show Was 3 hens and no toms or jakes, but it was awesome to be hunting. 

AE7F4817-5EA4-4D98-951F-8D0E667B73C4.jpeg

1C260D74-385F-4EE8-9A26-D6F52B40FE2F.jpeg

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

monstermoose78

The hens are out the screen window 

monstermoose78

Good to see you @Cret Jigs !! To bad the fish were not bigger.

• Thumbs Up 1

gimruis

Tons of panfish in the shallows now.  Fished Blue Lake on Saturday for a few hours.  Crappies, sunfish, a few perch.  One after the other.  Used small artificial plastics the whole time.  Biggest crappie I caught was 11.5 and the biggest sunfish was 7.5 inches.  I released all of them fully alive to complete the spawning process.

I'm on a quest to catch a 15+ inch crappie but I don't think any exist in these local waters to be honest with all the pounding they get late winter and spring, year after year.  I am going to have to target a bigger body of water for this.

• Thanks 1

monstermoose78
12 hours ago, gimruis said:

Tons of panfish in the shallows now.  Fished Blue Lake on Saturday for a few hours.  Crappies, sunfish, a few perch.  One after the other.  Used small artificial plastics the whole time.  Biggest crappie I caught was 11.5 and the biggest sunfish was 7.5 inches.  I released all of them fully alive to complete the spawning process.

I'm on a quest to catch a 15+ inch crappie but I don't think any exist in these local waters to be honest with all the pounding they get late winter and spring, year after year.  I am going to have to target a bigger body of water for this.

There are 15 inchers locally but I ain’t saying anything else 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

gimruis

That's fair.  I wouldn't expect anyone to give up their honey holes for super slabs, especially if its a smaller sized body of water.  I fish Lake Minnetonka a couple times every spring and I know for a fact it has enormous crappies because I see them with my own eyes in person at the crappie contest weigh in every spring.  I just have to keep looking in there I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

Borch

Head west young man...

Well more like WNW.  The Ottertail county lakes have some tankers in them.  I have some smaller lakes up north that kick a few out but keep those close to the vest.  Also, use lakefinder survey info to identify lakes with potential.   A few with white crappies have trophy potential.   I stuck this 16 1/2" white a few years ago late ice.   As far as I know she's still swimming out there.Screenshot_20191218-205200_Gallery.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

monstermoose78

This hen came in and put on a show. It’s getting hot in the blind

129B9AEE-B11B-4CBE-B15B-E80DA105AFFC.jpeg

F365F20D-4A3C-4C81-901E-6DB479D18015.jpeg

1DB195D8-C568-48BD-83FB-1FABAD3DAC59.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

gimruis
On 5/2/2020 at 10:53 AM, Borch said:

Head west young man...

Well more like WNW.  The Ottertail county lakes have some tankers in them.  I have some smaller lakes up north that kick a few out but keep those close to the vest.  Also, use lakefinder survey info to identify lakes with potential.   A few with white crappies have trophy potential.   I stuck this 16 1/2" white a few years ago late ice.

10-4, I'll keep that in mind but since I don't ice fish it will have to be done on soft water.

Borch

They are still around in those places but many have small or primative accesses.

JBMasterAngler

Tried the rum for the first time in about 25 years. Went out at Walbo. Got rained on mostly. Just 1 fish. 

342D5201-3233-48C3-9479-719D5133DF26.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Confused 1
  • l Love It 2

Wanderer

That stretch always seems like it should be awesome but has been more miss than hit for me.  Still fun times.  😎

JBMasterAngler

Yeah, talked to a couple other people and they didn’t catch anything either. Definitely looks like a stretch that should be loaded with northerns. I was going to check out the county 14 access on the way home, but just didn’t feel like it...was considering fishing it tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Wanderer

Sent you a PM @JBMasterAngler

monstermoose78

Well I hunted just about every weekend during this turkey season and some days during the week. I just could not get a jake or Tom to come and play. Until this morning I was watching a buck and two yearlings all morning they just never presented a good photo opportunity. I was calling and I hear a gobble!! O yeah I get the crossbow Set up for an easy pick up. I look to the west and see a deer looking into the woods. I look to the east and see two turkeys making a bee line to me. At 50 yards I can’t see a beard on either of them, but I pick the crossbow up and get ready. The first turkey has a little beard at 20 yards I can see it. They go out sight and he comes up next to the blind and heads out 3-4 yards. That tiny beard looks like 15 inch rope at this point in my season and turns to give me a spine shot. Game over a full hunting season used and   Turkey 🦃 wild rice soups is cooking!! 

2815AD74-D61C-4D8F-9B90-10DFED5A596B.jpeg

44DA0524-D9AA-44BF-BC00-E3DA03AAA51A.jpeg

83D31062-F738-44FA-AD73-D3A5FE42E36E.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 1
  • l Love It 1

Wanderer

Sounds like you got your money’s worth!

I hunted 3 afternoons in the C season is all, due to being too busy with work and projects or too tired/lazy to get up in the morning.  Didn’t take any time off work to chase with all the COVID stuff going on.  The bird I did get was one one the easiest birds I’ve ever taken on the first day of the last season.  

I guess what I’m saying is you EARNED that bird and should rightfully be proud!

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• DavidA
      By DavidA
      I’ll be on Birch Lake - Ely - in late July. Anyone familiar with good spots? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Lots of limits of nice walleyes this week with plenty of larger slot fish (19.5" - 28") and trophy walleyes (over 28").  Schools of fish all around the lake.  From the Lighthouse and Morris Point Gap area which is adjacent to Pine Island to Zippel Bay to reefs and mud near Long Point and Rocky Point all producing.  Garden Island area also holds nice schools of walleyes.  The go to presentation is pulling spinners with crawlers or leeches at 1.0 - 1.3 mph.  Some anglers are doing well trolling crankbaits as well on lead core line or downriggers.  Nice schools of walleyes also staged over deep mud.  Some fish are shallow, 7- 15', other fish holding in 23 - 31'.  Hammered gold, gold/glow, pink, and orange hot colors this week.      
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers catching some good fish as the season opened on July 1st.  Fishing holes in the river with a 3 ounce no roll sinker and sturgeon rig loaded with crawlers and/or frozen shiners.   Nice smallies in rocky areas.  Pike are also active cruising weedy bays, bay mouths and current breaks.  Walleyes hanging out on flats and can be caught with crawler harnesses or trolling crankbaits.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle services available and fishing for multi species has been excellent.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Excellent fishing for walleyes, pike and bass continue.  Schools of walleyes on structure, over sand and on mud.  Nice walleyes 8 - 17' on the sand or 25 - 28' around structure.  The best presentation is drifting and trolling spinners with crawlers or a minnow.  Pike and smallmouth bass active in weedy bays.  Bucktails for pike retrieved slow working well.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      7.6.20 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Minnesota Lake of the Woods Walleye action continues in less than 10’ casting Rapala’s, floating leeches or pulling crawlers in rocks and sand bays. Walleye are also showing back up on classic structure including points and main lake reefs. Trolling deep diving Rapala’s has been producing very large pike and slot walleye in 12 to 18 ft. of water.

Lake of the Woods Musky opener was successful in shallow, weeded areas. With one over 50” boated and the rare 49.5” as well as many mid 40” fish.

With water temps increasing into the high 70’s this week, Rock areas are heating up. Smaller bass sized baits and blades have been favored by these toothy critters. Current musky anglers are seeing up to 10 fish a day!

• Little Blueberry
      By Little Blueberry
      any current musky info?  Looking for new water since can’t get to LOW.
    • tacklejunkie
      By tacklejunkie
      I haven't seen any reports locally this year. The other forums all have updated reports. 
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Got out on Fathers day with the Kayak down the Mississippi River for some good ole Smallmouth Bass action. River was low which made a great float and the smallies were hungry! They just couldn't resist the wacky worm once again. We have such an amazing fishery here in MN, glad to call this state home.  Enjoy. 

• Joe
      By Joe
      The Leech Lake walleyes are on the move and our guides have been chasing them! With a recent fly hatch and some heat moving in this week has been a grind but we are still finding limits. A few keys to putting fish in the boat have been the location, the presentation and the wind.

Most of our fish have been on Sucker bay and the main lake. Duck point, Ottertail point and Stoney point have all been good and putting out fish. We have been focusing on the 11-14 feet of water and covering ground has been important. Both Duck and Ottertail points have nice break lines that top out around 8 and bottom at 20, which, is what we have been focusing on. Try to run your boat along the break line and make note of where the fish tend to be. If they are on the top of the break fish there and likewise for the deeper water.

Our presentation of choice, when the wind allows it, has been bottom bouncers with spinners. Gold, pink and white, and green have all been getting the Leech Lake walleye guide fish in the boat. Try to run these at 1.3-1.8 mph with just enough line out to “bounce off the bottom.”

The wind has been a nice advantage the past few days. Use the wind to push your boat along the desired path for a nice easy drift. As stated above the places we have been focusing on are actually in the same area but with different layouts. this allows you to make sure you are fishing in the waves and not in flat calm water. As you may know, leech is very clear so on a flat calm and sunny day it can be tough. Find the waves and find the action.

We do still have some openings for July yet. Give us a call to see what we have open. https://leechlakeguideservice.com

Dennis Carlson with his Biggest walleye 27 inches. Caught on a green spinner rig
    • MNredneck
      By MNredneck
      I was looking to go sturgeon fishing on the st croix river, what parts of the river hold a fish-able population of sturgeon. i was hoping to be near st croix or wild river state parks.
    • Bmiller1981
      By Bmiller1981
      Hey everyone,
      Normally I don’t ask for help but I’ve been skunked last three summers on Side lake / Sturgeon Lake Chain for walleye.  I’ve spent most time on Big Sturgeon and Side for eyes but have come up short. I’m heading up for a long weekend and hoping to change my luck with some advice.  I’d appreciate anything as it’s been a grind... thanks !!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The lake just keeps producing walleyes.  Good fishing in numerous spots across the south shore, near the Lighthouse and Morris Point Gaps in 8-10' and around Garden Island.  Big numbers of walleyes also staged over deep mud in 25 - 31'.  Most anglers drifting or trolling harnesses (spinners) with crawlers or leeches.  Hammered gold is hard to beat but glow, pink, chartreuse and orange are also popular in the stained water.  Some fish are still being caught jigging on structure or rock to mud transitions.  Anglers catching plenty of eater walleyes along with good numbers of saugers.  Larger slot fish (19.5-28") along with trophy walleyes over 28" being caught often.    
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers looking forward to sturgeon fishing reopening on July 1st.  Big numbers of sturgeon await.   No roll sinkers and sturgeon rigs along with crawlers and frozen shiners available locally.  Smallmouth bass in rocky areas, around bridges and current breaks.  Pike are also active cruising weedy bays, bay mouths and current breaks.  Both species don't get much attention and are present in good numbers.  Walleyes hanging out in 20-25'.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Walleye fishing is worth the trip.  Schools of walleyes on structure, over sand and on mud.  Most fish showing up in 8 - 14' or 26 - 28'.  The best presentation is drifting and trolling spinners with crawlers or a minnow.  Pike and smallmouth bass active in weedy bays.  There are hundreds around the Angle.  Try a spinnerbait or spoon. 

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• monstermoose78
      I don’t know many who reload 
    • DavidA
      I’ll be on Birch Lake - Ely - in late July. Anyone familiar with good spots? 
    • Poutwhacker
      We bring a weather and an FM radio. Cell phone coverage is sporadic, but you can find a signal almost anywhere (but usually it originates from Canada). Bad weather can come in a hurry, so it is nice to be able to know what is coming in advance.
    • Grainbelt
      Do you know anyone who reloads? Ammo has been bought up with the civil unrest currently going on.
    • BirchPtMike
      I would agree with James about tough bite. The last few days have been tough. You wont see those mayflies in Big Bay, because they all hatched last week. We have had high heat no wind to go with mayflies,then fish flies so I think that explains the problem. It will get better soon as minnows become primary food source for eyes. Wont see you out there for a while as I have to leave for a week. Good Luck !!
    • monstermoose78
      Lots of people looking just no posts
    • Wishin4Walleyes
      Unfortunately this forum has gone really quiet. All lake superior users moved to the Facebook group:(
    • Muskies
    • ManBearPig
      I may not get a chance to fish Leech before this fall, but I still really liked reading your report Joe.  Thank you for posting.
    • ManBearPig
      One more question about communication and weather alerts on eastern Rainy Lake.   We could occasionally get  an AT&T signal, especially after we had signed up for the Canadian signal.  We were about 16 miles east of the visitor center, and at the Kemp Channel entrance.  The signal strength kinda depended on weather conditions and time of day.   I am looking at the possibility of getting a weather alert radio.  It states:  Public Alert Certified Weather Radio, Receives all 7 NOAA Weather Channel and Reports.  It is also an AM/FM radio.  Does this actually work in the mid-lake area, or would you recommend something different?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.