• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monstermoose78

• gimruis

• Wanderer

• eyeguy 54

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took the owners of Baby Beaver Baits and my boss Brian out fishing in the wind and  caught a few fish. All gills over 9 went back and all crappies over 12 were released. Best bait was 3 mm jig with a

Went out to lake that I have not been on in many years and the nice gills wanted to play eat the pink impluse mayfly and I was all about that game. 8-11 feet of water away from the crowds on a nice in

I hit 4 lakes today from sunrise until 4 pm. The first 3 were dead, but the forth one was gold. I moved at least 3 times on the first two lakes and cut close 25-30 holes per spot. on the lake I found

Posted Images

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Well every year I get excited for turkey 🦃 season, but this year it’s really bad I need the outdoors to clear my mind!!

CA000D5C-DAA5-479E-A0C2-DC8B82BB8D0A.png

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1
eyeguy 54

Hang in there. Get out for a walk every day. 

monstermoose78
43 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Hang in there. Get out for a walk every day. 

I have with Finn

• Thumbs Up 2
monstermoose78

I hear the suckers are on the move!! Crappies and gills are hitting the shallows to feed. Turkeys are moving around so watch out.

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1
monstermoose78

No turkeys moving yet! 

69AAB100-CE01-4C0B-8B77-53A4C0A71C53.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Rick G

I give you credit... I'm too impatient for that. I would likley shoot my decoys out of sheer boardum 🥴

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 2
gimruis

Panfish are in the shallows.  I caught probably 100 crappies, sunfish, and perch combined on Saturday afternoon in about 3-4 feet of water.  I was initially using a minnow but switched to a small plastic after I realized they would bite that just as willingly.  Mostly dinks but was constant action and was nice to get the boat wet again.  Water temp was 45-50 degrees.

• Thumbs Up 2
monstermoose78

Sat until the wind picked up.

2D58A5CB-DB3D-4493-B188-74D851DF9242.jpeg

4BE00B8D-0993-4F4B-8A50-581D310341FD.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1
monstermoose78
49 minutes ago, smurfy said:

👍 where you planning on tilling afterwards??🤔😄 nice pics.

No the neighbor has corn and a clover patch

26 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

No the neighbor has corn and a clover patch

I asked because I seen what looks like a tiller in the background of your decoy.😄

monstermoose78
3 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I asked because I seen what looks like a tiller in the background of your decoy.😄

That tiller tossing a rod 

monstermoose78

Well this weekends show Was 3 hens and no toms or jakes, but it was awesome to be hunting. 

AE7F4817-5EA4-4D98-951F-8D0E667B73C4.jpeg

1C260D74-385F-4EE8-9A26-D6F52B40FE2F.jpeg

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1
monstermoose78

The hens are out the screen window 

monstermoose78

Good to see you @Cret Jigs !! To bad the fish were not bigger.

• Thumbs Up 1
gimruis

Tons of panfish in the shallows now.  Fished Blue Lake on Saturday for a few hours.  Crappies, sunfish, a few perch.  One after the other.  Used small artificial plastics the whole time.  Biggest crappie I caught was 11.5 and the biggest sunfish was 7.5 inches.  I released all of them fully alive to complete the spawning process.

I'm on a quest to catch a 15+ inch crappie but I don't think any exist in these local waters to be honest with all the pounding they get late winter and spring, year after year.  I am going to have to target a bigger body of water for this.

• Thanks 1
monstermoose78
12 hours ago, gimruis said:

Tons of panfish in the shallows now.  Fished Blue Lake on Saturday for a few hours.  Crappies, sunfish, a few perch.  One after the other.  Used small artificial plastics the whole time.  Biggest crappie I caught was 11.5 and the biggest sunfish was 7.5 inches.  I released all of them fully alive to complete the spawning process.

I'm on a quest to catch a 15+ inch crappie but I don't think any exist in these local waters to be honest with all the pounding they get late winter and spring, year after year.  I am going to have to target a bigger body of water for this.

There are 15 inchers locally but I ain’t saying anything else 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1
gimruis

That's fair.  I wouldn't expect anyone to give up their honey holes for super slabs, especially if its a smaller sized body of water.  I fish Lake Minnetonka a couple times every spring and I know for a fact it has enormous crappies because I see them with my own eyes in person at the crappie contest weigh in every spring.  I just have to keep looking in there I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Borch

Head west young man...

Well more like WNW.  The Ottertail county lakes have some tankers in them.  I have some smaller lakes up north that kick a few out but keep those close to the vest.  Also, use lakefinder survey info to identify lakes with potential.   A few with white crappies have trophy potential.   I stuck this 16 1/2" white a few years ago late ice.   As far as I know she's still swimming out there.Screenshot_20191218-205200_Gallery.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1
monstermoose78

This hen came in and put on a show. It’s getting hot in the blind

129B9AEE-B11B-4CBE-B15B-E80DA105AFFC.jpeg

F365F20D-4A3C-4C81-901E-6DB479D18015.jpeg

1DB195D8-C568-48BD-83FB-1FABAD3DAC59.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1
gimruis
On 5/2/2020 at 10:53 AM, Borch said:

Head west young man...

Well more like WNW.  The Ottertail county lakes have some tankers in them.  I have some smaller lakes up north that kick a few out but keep those close to the vest.  Also, use lakefinder survey info to identify lakes with potential.   A few with white crappies have trophy potential.   I stuck this 16 1/2" white a few years ago late ice.

10-4, I'll keep that in mind but since I don't ice fish it will have to be done on soft water.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Borch

They are still around in those places but many have small or primative accesses.

• 3 weeks later...
JBMasterAngler

Tried the rum for the first time in about 25 years. Went out at Walbo. Got rained on mostly. Just 1 fish. 

342D5201-3233-48C3-9479-719D5133DF26.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Confused 1
  • l Love It 2
Wanderer

That stretch always seems like it should be awesome but has been more miss than hit for me.  Still fun times.  😎

JBMasterAngler

Yeah, talked to a couple other people and they didn’t catch anything either. Definitely looks like a stretch that should be loaded with northerns. I was going to check out the county 14 access on the way home, but just didn’t feel like it...was considering fishing it tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
monstermoose78

Well I hunted just about every weekend during this turkey season and some days during the week. I just could not get a jake or Tom to come and play. Until this morning I was watching a buck and two yearlings all morning they just never presented a good photo opportunity. I was calling and I hear a gobble!! O yeah I get the crossbow Set up for an easy pick up. I look to the west and see a deer looking into the woods. I look to the east and see two turkeys making a bee line to me. At 50 yards I can’t see a beard on either of them, but I pick the crossbow up and get ready. The first turkey has a little beard at 20 yards I can see it. They go out sight and he comes up next to the blind and heads out 3-4 yards. That tiny beard looks like 15 inch rope at this point in my season and turns to give me a spine shot. Game over a full hunting season used and   Turkey 🦃 wild rice soups is cooking!! 

2815AD74-D61C-4D8F-9B90-10DFED5A596B.jpeg

44DA0524-D9AA-44BF-BC00-E3DA03AAA51A.jpeg

83D31062-F738-44FA-AD73-D3A5FE42E36E.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 1
  • l Love It 1
Wanderer

Sounds like you got your money’s worth!

I hunted 3 afternoons in the C season is all, due to being too busy with work and projects or too tired/lazy to get up in the morning.  Didn’t take any time off work to chase with all the COVID stuff going on.  The bird I did get was one one the easiest birds I’ve ever taken on the first day of the last season.  

I guess what I’m saying is you EARNED that bird and should rightfully be proud!

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Pike anglers catching fish in back bays. Deadbait on a quick strike rig under a bobber, spoons, spinnerbaits and crankbaits are the go to presentations.  The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.    
      The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers looking to keep a sturgeon have through May 7th.  After that catch and release kicks in again.  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 3-5 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the most common setup.  
      Good numbers of fish, all size ranges, being caught.  Sturgeon have been active.
      Up at the NW Angle...  A few anglers fishing pike in back bays but most looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  The go to walleye spots come the opener will be shoreline and island structure and underwater points.  The technique, a jig and a minnow!
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• CJH
      By CJH
      Anybody been out or heard any water temps on the Le Homme Dieu Chain?  The weather has been so up and down, kind of curious where they are at.  

Thanks much!!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Most attention right now is with sturgeon and pike with anglers looking forward to the May 15th walleye opener.  The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.  Backwater areas and back bays are all over LOW and the Rainy River and are where pike are being caught.  Deadbait on a quick strike rig under a bobber, spoons, spinnerbaits and crankbaits are all working.  
      The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon fishing is in full swing and fishing is good.  Now through May 7th is the sturgeon harvest season (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 3-5 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops / resorts have rigs and bait available.
      Find a deeper spot or hole in a stretch of the river, anchor up and still fish the bottom.  Your bait sends a scent trail the sturgeon will find!  Some huge sturgeon being caught in excess of 70 inches.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  The NW Angle is ice free and everyone is looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  There are many ways to access Angle resorts.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  A complete list of lodging and fishing packages available in Baudette, on the Rainy River, around Lake of the Woods and up at the NW Angle at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Lake of the Woods is ice free!  Walleye anglers are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener on May 15th.  Based on the big fish in the Rainy River this spring, there is a lot of excitement!
      The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.  Backwater areas and back bays are where pike spawning activity is taking place.  The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   The spring walleye season closed with good success.  Despite varying clarity and some spring rains pushing debris into the water, hearty walleye anglers still pulled some very good fish last week.  Now looking toward the walleye opener.  
      Sturgeon fishing this past week was excellent.  Sturgeon of all sizes being caught which bodes well for the health of the fishery which is very strong.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 4-6 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops / resorts have rigs and bait available.
      Find a deeper spot or hole in a stretch of the river, anchor up and still fish the bottom.  Your bait sends a scent trail the sturgeon will find!
      Up at the NW Angle...  The NW Angle is ice free and everyone is looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  There are many ways to access Angle resorts.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• BigTrucka
      By BigTrucka
      Hey all, just moved back to MN where I grew up after living in the PNW for a long while. I became addicted to fishing rivers and streams out there and have started to check out the offerings in the NW section of the state as of yesterday’s opener. Wondering if anyone has experience in this area and can give me some pointers or just tell me if I’m wasting my time since that’s what I’m wondering right now since I didn’t find any signs of fish. I’m using a spinning rod with Mepp’s and Panther Martin style spinners and went through a bunch of color combos. I started yesterday morning at the Clearwater River in western Beltrami County essentially on the border with Clearwater County where the state has some land and a pretty lengthy easement. Probably a well known area. Beautiful area to walk through. Found multiple holes, but yeah no fish at all. I waded for a bit and decided to leave. I went south since I live closer to Moorhead and stopped at Felton Creek. I’ve read a DNR study about this creek having a decreasing population of fish, but it’s still considered a trout stream although not “designated”. I understand the channelization of creeks in this region ruined fish habitat over the last 100 years, but still find some DNR material as of the last 5 years that reference Felton Creek as a spot for trout. Walked the stream for a bit before I left and headed to Lawndale Creek south of Barnesville. I waded through the AMA on the Atherton WMA expecting to find some brook trout since the DNR has stocked it as of at least 2017. Nothing through the entire stretch besides frogs and minnows. Are there actually fish in these places? The Clearwater and Lawndale are designated trout streams. The Clearwater is stocked annually and Lawndale is supposed to have wild brook trout. Anyone have any experience in these spots? Should’ve just drove down MN200 & 71 to the obvious spots in Becker/Hubbard?
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      Someone had to kick things off.

I caught some shrimp at the grocery store over the weekend. I'm hoping to see some spawning walleye this weekend. Who knows where they will be in a month when we are all allowed to actually fish for them!
    • Coleman
      By Coleman
      Has anyone been on the water of areas lakes?  Kinda curious what the water temps are hovering around?  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... The lake is still ice covered with big stretches of open water which is expanding daily.  Anglers fishing the lake are fishing in front of the Lighthouse Gap where the Rainy River enters LOW.  Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River during the spring walleye season which lasts through April 14.  The walleye season opens again on May 15th.
      Pike Fishing.  Open water is available in the back bays such as various Four Mile Bay, Bostic Creek, Zippel Bay and backwaters on the Rainy River where pike spawn.  Some nice pike being caught in shallow water areas.  These areas are off of the main lake and perfect for small boats.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      On the Rainy River...   This past week was nothing short of incredible for walleye fishing on the Rainy River.  Large numbers of big walleyes were caught and released.  Many fish 30 - 33+ inches in the mix.  Exactly why anglers love the Rainy River in the spring.  
      Good reports up and down the river including Four Mile Bay.
      A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Bright plastics and frozen shiners working best on jigs.  Some anglers trolling crankbaits with success to cover water.  
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be good with good numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Most anglers targeting holes in the river.  Some sturgeon being caught on rolling sand dunes with fish laying in the depressions. Wherever there is food and a bit of slacker water!
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs and bait available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Locals are able to get their boats from the mainland (Angle Inlet) to most areas of the islands.  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• leech~~
      By leech~~
      Whats your guess? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... Most of the lake is still ice covered with the exception of large areas adjacent to inflowing water such as the Lighthouse Gap (Rainy River) and Morris Point Gap (Bostic Creek) areas.  Open water is expanding daily.  Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River through April 14. 
      Open water is becoming available in many of the back bays around the lake where pike spawn.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      On the Rainy River...   River fishing started out strong, slowed down with cold weather and the Big Fork and Little Fork Rivers spilling mud into the Rainy River and now is picking up again.  The water is clearing and water temps are on the rise.
      A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Bright plastics and frozen shiners working best on jigs.  Walleyes caught in various depths down to 35 feet.  
      Some anglers trolling crankbaits with success to cover water.  Walleye season is catch and release only on Rainy River and Four Mile Bay through April 14th.
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be good with good numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Sturgeon aren't as affected by dirty water as they feed by scent.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs and bait available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Various areas are starting to open up.  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Raven77
      West end this afternoon:     Richie Bay 48     Black Bay  55  
    • Raven77
      Bill, you can follow me around for walleyes if I can follow you around for crappies 
    • imhatz
    • MikeG3Boat
      Anyone heading to the WFC for the opener this weekend?  I am planning on heading up on Friday morning and hope to find some Crappie on Friday before trying to some Walleye on Saturday.  Last time on the water the temps were only low to mid 40's.  Anyone have any updates on the water temps?  I will be fishing in a Red G3 boat with a Black Talon and Yamaha kicker.  Stop and say hi if you see me, I might be fishing solo this weekend.  I will publish something about my trip Sunday or Monday.  Good Luck Everyone!  Stay safe and Tight Lines!
    • mbeyer
      Tripp   Always good to see this tread bumped and revived for the spring. Maybe, I run in to you this year on the lake......
    • gimruis
      I've seen over 40 boats parked on a small flat on Mille Lacs before.  You can whisper to the boat fishing next to you as long as you aren't running an old loud 2-stroke motor.  Pool 4 in the spring can also be bumper boats and that's even more interesting because there's current.   I'm sure others can comment about how close people come when ice fishing.  The only written law I'm aware of is that you cannot legally fish within 10 feet of another fish house.  If someone is within casting distance of me, that is too close.  That includes recreational boats too.
    • Rick
      A weekly list of news briefs about fish, wildlife, and habitat management. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Mother Nature gave Minnesotans extra ice-free days this spring on many of the state’s water bodies, but relatively cool weather since then—including overnight lows in the 30s—means the water temperature may be lower than people expect. As anglers prepare to hit the water for Saturday’s fishing opener, it’s vital they keep this in mind and put their safety first. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • PSU
      I realize this is the longest of long shots, but has anyone seen some coolers (one larger blue soft-sided, another smaller gray/blue) floating around Smart's Bay or Northern Hinsdale Saturday morning or perhaps at Timbuktu Marina?   We either left them at Timbuktu Marine, or they flew out of the boat going there in Smarts Bay or Northern Hinsdale.   Thanks  
    • CigarGuy
      Hope this wasn't directed at me. I was just joking about following raven around. I go out of my way to stay away from other fisher people! 40,000 acre lake, no need to fish on top of others. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.