• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

On 12/29/2019 at 12:09 AM, monstermoose78 said:

Anyone else been out? I was last weekend and did great both days. Saturday was catch release day Sunday was harvest day for much needed fish fry. 

I really like the 3 mm sized jigs with the bigger hook on them. Plastics are what use 90% of the time. I am trying all kinds of plastics but what still works is the maki mino and northland mayfly. I just found some other cool stuff and I will try it out soon.

I took a drive around the other day. Stayed off the ice but there were plenty in the usual spot on Green. There were a few on Baxter and 1 ATV. The SE access on Blue looked to have open water straight out from the landing and Spec had 3 people, 1 of which was walking back to the access.

I'll wait for the colder weather to lock things up before I venture out on local lakes.

• I Like it 2

Well, I had plan today, as well as several backups. None of them panned out, for one reason or another. One of the lakes was little stanchfield lake...it looked like someone tried to drive onto the ice, and broke through immediately. I wasn’t about to wade through a foot of water to get across. So I eventually ended up at long lake, west of Isanti. Ice was about 7 inches. No slush issues. Was able to catch a 16 inch bass right off the bat, but only a couple perch after that.

10F0F366-D5EA-4343-9342-3DC50135B6EB.jpeg

• l Love It 1

I went out to Spectacle yesterday and didn't see anything on the vex. Had 3 spots on my way back to the truck where the ice cracked/buckled under my feet. It was dark by that point with only 1 other vehicle at the access. Other areas might be ok out there but definitely proceed with caution if going out to Spec.

• Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
1 hour ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Well, I had plan today, as well as several backups. None of them panned out, for one reason or another. One of the lakes was little stanchfield lake...it looked like someone tried to drive onto the ice, and broke through immediately. I wasn’t about to wade through a foot of water to get across. So I eventually ended up at long lake, west of Isanti. Ice was about 7 inches. No slush issues. Was able to catch a 16 inch bass right off the bat, but only a couple perch after that.

10F0F366-D5EA-4343-9342-3DC50135B6EB.jpeg

JB did you get to the only hole on long lake? That’s the spot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave S said:

I went out to Spectacle yesterday and didn't see anything on the vex. Had 3 spots on my way back to the truck where the ice cracked/buckled under my feet. It was dark by that point with only 1 other vehicle at the access. Other areas might be ok out there but definitely proceed with caution if going out to Spec.

Spec can be sketchy ice any year

• Thanks 1

Yes. The bass came on the north edge of the hole in about 11 ft. Moved into 15 ft, but didn’t mark anything. Got the perch in about 8 ft. If I ever fish this lake again, I might try going another couple hundred yards into the interior of that hole. That lake must have horrific algae blooms in the summer? Every hole I drilled would get chunks of algae floating up. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah it does it’s nasty in the summer

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2020 at 8:03 PM, JBMasterAngler said:

Yes. The bass came on the north edge of the hole in about 11 ft. Moved into 15 ft, but didn’t mark anything. Got the perch in about 8 ft. If I ever fish this lake again, I might try going another couple hundred yards into the interior of that hole. That lake must have horrific algae blooms in the summer? Every hole I drilled would get chunks of algae floating up. 

Spec is actually a very clear lake in the summer compared to the lake next to it, Green Lake.  I can often seen right to the bottom in 8-10 feet of water on Spectacle Lake in the summer time.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tom Sawyer said:

Wow, that's quite the slaughter Nick.

What is Baby Beaver Baits?

Musky Lures they are an awesome bait my dad is part owner in.

23 minutes ago, rumeye said:

I know that lake.............

You do

• Thumbs Up 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
6 hours ago, rumeye said:

I know that lake.............

I know I do ??  Good job Bud glad it worked out ! Time spent with family and friends especially your dad is what its all about. The memories will last forever. Catching fish is a bonus.  By the looks of it you guys dialed them in real good? Looks like some good eating. Well done my friend.

15 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

I know I do ??  Good job Bud glad it worked out ! Time spent with family and friends especially your dad is what its all about. The memories will last forever. Catching fish is a bonus.  By the looks of it you guys dialed them in real good? Looks like some good eating. Well done my friend.

Well Icehawk I know this really nice guy who may have pointed me in the right direction!! I used what he told me and it paid off. I can’t wait to fish with soon. The key was hole hopping in the wind and I was doing it

• Thumbs Up 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
12 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

Well Icehawk I know this really nice guy who may have pointed me in the right direction!! I used what he told me and it paid off. I can’t wait to fish with soon. The key was hole hopping in the wind and I was doing it

Sure he's  a nice guy, some would beg to differ ?

• Yayyyy 1

2 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Sure he's  a nice guy, some would beg to differ ?

Well the ones who differ should look at themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Headed out to.blue lake to scout for a friend so he could take his boys out for a good outing. For gear I was using a 26 inch black ice Kichler Custom paired with a descent inline reel spooled with 3 pound test line. I was using 3 mm gold Vexan tungsten jig with a impluse white mayfly and my trusty Vexilar FL-8. I used a Dewalt brushed drill the dcd985 with the clam plate and 6 inch auger.  

I went out to weed edge and cut some holes from 7-12 feet of water. The bluegills were racing up and smashing my set up. I fished for an hour and caught lots of small gills and 6 crappies. There were enough keeper sized fish mixed in to keep me interested and to allow my friend to have a fish meal if he chooses. No photos as I forgot my phone at home. 

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 1

Blue had 15 inches of ice with 3-5 inches of white ice the last time I was put. I heard green has 16-18 with the same 3-5 inches of white ice. So you looking 10-13 inches of good clear ice. Be careful of what you bring out on the lake.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Went out on Blue lake .... The sunnies were biting every where.   Most where on the smaller size but was still fun.   Moved to deeper water .... SUNNIES ... they where all over it seemed.  Just know size.  Maybe a few border liners.  But for a quick 1-2 hours at midday, hey it was fun.    Tried a small lake close bye and it was very slow 1 hour before dark to dark.  weird.  see ya all out on the water ... gotta go get on the 4 wheeler and get out there :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

Took my boss out fishing and he upgraded his gear to be able keep pace. He realized how important it is to have the right gear to chase gills and crappies. He bought a Thornebrothers sniffer rod and put 3 pound test line on. He got 3 mm jigs and used wax worms. We got some gills for him for his Super Bowl get together. I used my Kichler Custom Black Ice rod with a descent inline reel with 3 pound test and Vexan 3 mm gold jig with purple mayfly.

On the lake we got away from the cities found a nice point and set up on the edge. 8-11 feet of water.  

2F2FD2BB-9E7A-4C88-ADAC-558233AEFFBF.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

23 hours ago, Cret Jigs said:

Went out on Blue lake .... The sunnies were biting every where.   Most where on the smaller size but was still fun.   Moved to deeper water .... SUNNIES ... they where all over it seemed.  Just know size.  Maybe a few border liners.  But for a quick 1-2 hours at midday, hey it was fun.    Tried a small lake close bye and it was very slow 1 hour before dark to dark.  weird.  see ya all out on the water ... gotta go get on the 4 wheeler and get out there :)

There is another thread started about the issue of lakes with stunted populations of fish.  The problem will likely continue to get worse if its already present in a system.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gimruis said:

There is another thread started about the issue of lakes with stunted populations of fish.  The problem will likely continue to get worse if its already present in a system.

Most lakes around here cycle with small fish give it 3-5 years they come back after the pressure lets up. Baxter lake has done this for 30 years that I know of. Blue cycles too and I fish the heck out of blue lake. There are still nice fish in there but you have to work for them. Get away the the typical spots and try fresh ice. The south side of the point on the east side can hold some fish. Come to a get together as I try hard to put people on fish.

• Thumbs Up 1