• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

monstermoose78

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

monstermoose78
17 minutes ago, WallyGader said:

Hear if any lakes are ice free in the Cambridge area yet?

I also went through on a lake in central mn moose, was trying to skirt around edge of rushes to get to better ice and found a weak spot, luckily I could grab the rushes and pull myself out was only 2 fow but another 2ft of mud. I was solo so made for a quick and final fishing trip ha.

Glad you are ok. I will be out checking some lakes this week as most still had some ice on them, but if it hits 80 today and the rain it should open some up.

Barbelboy

Not a lake, but the St. Croix is fishable.

20180421_124508_2.jpg

20180422_100958_8.jpg

• Like 4

rumeye

Rush lake as of yesterday still ice. Long lake and Stanchfield lake in Grady wide open. Fannie and Skogman looking like today or tomorrow. Hi Mike nice looking kids.

WallyGader

Thanks for heads up rum, trying to sneak out a evening after work to make sure i didnt mess up installing new impeller, or that' my excuse to get on the water again anyway ?

monstermoose78

Way to go @Barbelboy !! 

Ice is off most the lakes now. The crappies and gills are hitting shallow bays to feed. Get out there and have some fun. Please let us know how you did. You don’t need to say the lake but some details would be great to help others get some fish. Pictures are awesome too

IceHawk

Way to get the kiddos out on some good sucker fishing. Good way to make some great memories. 

ZachD
9 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Way to go @Barbelboy !! 

Ice is off most the lakes now. The crappies and gills are hitting shallow bays to feed. Get out there and have some fun. Please let us know how you did. You don’t need to say the lake but some details would be great to help others get some fish. Pictures are awesome too

I will be out Monday somewhere either long lake or green will give a report when I get back

• Like 1

gimruis
Posted (edited)

I went out on Saturday morning but I did not do any panfishing.  I mostly went out to get my boat in the water before opener and to make sure everything was running properly.  I'm not the person that's gonna wait until the opener to start up my outboard, livewell, electronics, etc.  Don't be THAT guy

Edited by gimruis

ZachD

Didnt do much fishing but didnt find any crappies  

was on long lake they didnt have the boat ramp dock out.

EFC042BD-C474-44FB-8F52-1DFD7AEF0551.jpeg

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Hello everyone, 

please check out the fishing report clubs. I believe the first few members can get in free. I hope you are all doing well fishing and hunting. I look forward to reading your reports. 

If you any questions just ask.

thank you,

monstermoose

monstermoose78

The walleye bite is heating up around the area. Bass are on the beds and panfish are keeping most anglers busy. Remember the new pike regs are in place now. Good luck and let’s hear some reports and see some more photos!! Thank you to all that check my reports. I am off to get some fishing in. 

gimruis

I went out on Saturday for about 5 hours and my friend and I caught a lot of crappies but they were mostly all dinks (8-10 inchers).  We only caught 4 of them over 10 inches.  Plus a few small bass and one pike.  We released all of them.  Water temp was right around 60, a little warmer up shallow in a bay.

• Like 1

monstermoose78
6 hours ago, gimruis said:

I went out on Saturday for about 5 hours and my friend and I caught a lot of crappies but they were mostly all dinks (8-10 inchers).  We only caught 4 of them over 10 inches.  Plus a few small bass and one pike.  We released all of them.  Water temp was right around 60, a little warmer up shallow in a bay.

Thanks for the update

monstermoose78

Well I did not get a turkey this year but I sure had a blast hunting for them. Lots of close calls but just never got a shot. 

Fishing the rum river before the rain was hot and the local lakes are doing well. Check out the fishing clubs section as many very skilled anglers post extremely detailed reports. 

monstermoose78

Come on guys let’s hear some reports?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello, from Sunset Lodge!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. In Minnesota, high winds limited fishing areas but many of our guests were able to find the walleyes stacked up on the humps pulling spinners.  Gold and green crawler harnesses are working the best.

In Canada, working a slower presentation such as a lift and drag technique has been most effective.  Limits of walleye are being caught using gold and chartreus colors in 18-22 ft.  Key areas have been Deepwater Bay, Monkey Rocks and the west side of Falcon Island.  Smallmouth fishing has been heating up as well, using a jig and plastic on the rocks. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      In Minnesota, walleye fishing has been fantastic! Using a jig and minnow or a bobber rig, walleye can be had anywhere from 3-15 feet in the evening and 18-25 during the day. Pink and white, chartreuse or blue and white jigs have been the most productive.

Canadian walleye are being found a little deeper at 22-26 feet. Many nice fish were caught this last week, multiple 26-28 inch and a very nice 30 incher. A jig and frozen shiner is the go to, however a freshly dead fathead works equally as well.

Surface water temps are in the high 50’s at sunrise, reaching mid to upper 60’s by evening after this sunny Memorial day weekend!

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      So if you are like me and have a jig addiction please help. I am looking for 3 mm sized jigs with bigger hooks. Why you ask I have been fishing lakes with big gills, but also have big crappies. Those tiny hooks on the 3 mm jigs just don’t seem to hold those crappies as well. I found the clam xl jigs but they are between 3.75-5 bucks jig. Anyone know where to find some small jigs with bigger hooks please let me know. Would you all be interested in finding jigs like this as well. Thanks 
    • Rick
      By Rick
      Some of the shallowest panfish we catch each winter happen in March during late ice on many fisheries.  Fun sight fishing patterns often emerge.  Fish can sometimes be found in a few feet of water under the ice.  Shallow weed patterns often come alive at late ice.  Many anglers assume that aquatic vegetation has to be green and vibrant in order to hold fish.   While still green weeds do hold fish, dead stands of weeds will also hold fish if the weeds provide cover and there is good oxygen.  When the ice begins to rot along the shorelines and water begins to seep into the lake along the shorelines, shallow water can be extremely productive.
      One of my absolute favorite locations for looking for shallow water bluegills at late ice is really shallow pencil reeds.  Pencil reed beds are common on many lakes and often hold big fish.  In many cases… depending on the thickness of the ice,  we might only be fishing in two to three feet of water under the ice.
      These pencil reed locations can really vary in size and profile.  Some dish bowl lakes might simply see pencil reeds lining the rim of the lake where there is the right sand bottom composition.  Other locations might be prominent reefs and bars that might be several acres.  My favorite type of location features pencil reeds that are growing out into five or six feet of water with a little bit of a roll to the contour where there is a sharper break running along the outside edge of the reeds.
      There are many strategies to fishing these reed beds but there is one overriding challenge.  You have to drill several holes to really figure out the nuances of the location but drilling a lot of holes over these shallow locations seems to push the fish off.
      Can’t prove this but it seems like electric augers and smaller bits seem less intrusive.  Six and four inch augers shine for cutting enough holes to really figure out these locations.  On the flip side, these smaller holes are terrible for sight fishing.  If you are planning on strictly sight fishing, use an eight or ten inch auger to give you a bigger window and let everything settle down after you drill your holes.  Another tip is to not drive vehicles over the location or drag anything on the ice.  When initially figuring out a location, we typically drill a lot of holes for simply learning the spot.
      You can walk from hole to hole and fish but what we so often find is that we catch a lot more fish by recognizing the sweet spots and waiting out fish.  The sweet spots are often open lanes and cuts, troughs and dips in the bottom that funnel fish movements.  Once you recognize and locate these spots, you can sit and let everything settle down.  Seen it happen often where you drill your holes and it takes five to ten minutes for fish to come back underneath you.
      You can definitely fish too aggressive and move too much in this type of situation because the reality is that fish might be scooting ten to twenty feet away from each step you take.  Have also seen situations where fish wouldn’t swim underneath a shelter or sled.  As a rule of thumb, you can get away with much more noise and presence if you are alone and on the spot first. As angling pressure increases over multiple days however, it seems like fish become more sensitive to everything.  The more you fish a location and learn the spot on the spots however the less holes you have to drill and the less intrusive you can be.
      Big bull bluegills in pencil reeds can be a handful.  These fish can wrap you up and break you off.  Because this can often be combat fishing, I often opt for heavier line like the Frost Four Pound  Mono.  This isn’t finesse fishing.  Because four pound test can lack sensitivity, I often use tungsten jigs even in this often shallow water just because the added weight of tungsten improves the performance of heavier lines.
      These patterns are notorious for producing big bluegills and this is fun fishing.  Much like trying to pull a heavy bass from out underneath a dock or laydown, there is an element of drama when fighting big fish in heavy cover.  Focus on the troughs, holes and bowls or any sharp outside edge that is in tight proximity to high dense stands of rushes and you will typically find big bluegills at late ice.
      Just remember, shallow pencil reed patterns can often provide some exciting fishing opportunities for big bluegills at late ice.
      http://fishingminnesota.com/top-stories/the-skinny-on-bulls-late-season-panfish-ice-fishing-adjustments/
      by Jason MItchell
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. Minnesota fishermen can be selective of fish kept, as  they have had no problem filling Walleye limits.  17-19 feet will produce late in the day with 21-25 feet being most productive away from structure during mid day. Pink, white and gold have been most productive all around. Glow or UV have also had success during cloudy conditions if charged often.

Canada continues to give up Crappies between 25 and 32ft, still with a light setup and electronics. Many tulibee and the ocassional whitefish are being caught while crappie fishing.  Walleye in Canada on points and reefs remain easy to catch.

We still have plenty of ice on the Minnesota and Canadian side and trails are still being groomed. 

March is a great time for a last minute trip to the Angle!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

The Minnesota side is still kicking out fish between 18-25 feet. Fish are hitting jigging spoons when active; specifically White, Gold or U.V.  When activity levels are slow, try the Deadstick 8-10 inches from the bottom. We had numerous Giant Pike this week, all caught on Walleye spoons.

Canadian Walleye fishing is incredible. Fish are slamming aggressive presentations like rip’n raps and spoons tipped with Shiners. Crappie action varies day to day. An ultra-light set up is guaranteed to catch more Crappies than a walleye rod.

Trails are still being manicured and are in overall great condition. The warmer weather is exposing ice chunks off of the snowmobile trail and creating heaves, one near Knight Island deserves attention. Travel cautiously off of marked trails. We have 3+ feet of ice.

See you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been most productive in 20-24 feet of water.  Guests are bringing home their limits of Walleye and Sauger with the occasional Perch and Northern mixed in. Fish have been most active early and late in the day and the bite has been terrific. The use of electronics continues to be very beneficial with fish taking jigging spoons, jigg’n raps or rattle baits.  Snowmobile ttrails on the Minnesota side continue to be maintained and are in great shape. We are still making ice, with most spots at over 30 inches. 

North and East of us in Canada, big Crappies are coming in on light tackle setups out of 30 feet. If you are looking for walleye, they are everywhere!

Until next week, 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been really good this past week with good numbers of slot fish and a 30” walleye. We have been on the move with our houses and it is paying off.  Multiple houses producing an all day sauger bite with plenty of walleye mixed in. 20-24 feet is where we have found the most action. Glow and white/gold spoons have been the prefered color as of late. 

Our snowmobile and marked trails are in great condition.  Thirty inches of ice is common with 24 in higher current areas.

Up in Canada, limits of crappies are still being had in 30’ and deeper water.  Ultra light tackle and rod set up can make the difference some days, while other days crappies can be caught on Rip’n Raps and Jigging spoons.  Walleye action remains strong on reefs and points in 24-28 feet. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, limits of walleye and sauger are being caught between 22 and 25 feet. Presentation changes daily from deadstick to jigging but not both. Pink and white, or gold and chartreuse have had many slot fish and lost a few BIG ones.

The Canadian side of the lake has seen a lot of northern action, with the biggest closing in on 48.” Walleye are still plentiful off of reefs and points. Crappie action has been sporatic with the changing weather fronts. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Parmer
      I don't think you will be able to run it on that generator. I have a yamaha 2000 and I have not tried it yet but from everything I have read you need 2800 watts to start the AC. All the 2018 ice castle fish houses are coleman mach 3 plus AC I think. 
    • BigVwalters
      The fishing was pretty decent over the weekend.  Walleyes were biting on rigs with leeches or crawlers. Caught 12 between Friday and Saturday with with 4 nice slotters.   Biggest being a 24".   
    • Borch
      Star Island in Cass Lake has remote, boat in primitive camping as well.
    • A Warrior
      Just returned from a successful trip on Kab.  Minnows did catch fish, but leeches were the ticket
    • Rick
      Angling regulations on Lake of the Woods and the Rainy River in northern Minnesota would change under a proposal being considered by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources to reduce the number of walleye and sauger allowed to be kept in the winter on the lake, and on the river allowing only catch-and-release fishing for those fish in the spring.  “We recently went through a public process of updating the Lake of the Woods Fisheries Management Plan and identified several potential areas of concern with regard to current levels of harvest,” said Phil Talmage, Baudette fisheries supervisor. “That’s why we’re discussing these potential changes.” The proposed changes would reduce the aggregate limit of walleye and sauger in the winter to align with the summer regulations on Lake of the Woods, and make spring angling on the Rainy River catch-and-release for walleye and sauger. The changes would go into effect starting March 1, 2019. Anglers will see yellow signs at public water accesses around Lake of the Woods and the Rainy River later this month notifying the public of the proposal. Future news releases will provide the details of a formal public comment period during the fall, and will include ways to provide comment to the DNR on the proposal. For more information on Lake of the Woods management go to mndnr.gov/lakeofthewoods. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is accepting public comments on an environmental assessment worksheet (EAW) prepared for the Tioga Recreation Area Mountain Bike Trail project in the city of Cohasset in Itasca County.  The city proposed construction of 30 miles of single-track mountain bike trail within the 500-acre Tioga Recreation Area. Facilities include trailhead, parking, signage, restrooms, picnic shelters, changing shelters and a bike repair station. Additional outdoor recreational opportunities include hiking and snowshoeing. The agency will take comments during a 30-day public review period from June 18 to July 18. A copy of the EAW is available online on the project page. A hard copy may be requested by calling 651-259-5126. The EAW is available for public review at: DNR library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul. DNR northeast regional office, 1201 East Highway 2, Grand Rapids. Minneapolis Central Library, Government Documents, 2nd Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall. Duluth Public Library, 520 West Superior St., Duluth. Grand Rapids Area Library, 140 NE 2nd St., Grand Rapids. The EAW notice will be published in the June 18 EQB Monitor. The EQB Monitor is a biweekly publication of the Environmental Quality Board that lists descriptions and deadlines for environmental review documents and other notices. Written comments must be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 18 to the attention of Bill Johnson, EAW project manager, Environmental Policy and Review Unit, Ecological and Water Resources Division, DNR, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4025. Electronic or email comments may be sent to [email protected] with “Tioga Recreation Area” in the subject line. If submitting comments electronically, include name and mailing address. Written comments may also be sent by fax to 651-296-1811. Names and addresses will be published as part of the EAW record. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Efforts to increase the number of hunters and anglers in Minnesota will gain new focus with advice from a 15-member council that the Department of Natural Resources is establishing to zero in on hunter and angler recruitment, retention and reactivation (R3). Citizens can nominate themselves through Friday, June 22, to serve on the 10 open seats of the council, for two year terms, with meetings scheduled every three months. The council will work with and advise the DNR on R3 efforts, programs and potential partnerships that will benefit the recruitment of new hunters and anglers, the retention of current outdoor enthusiasts, and the reactivation of individuals who have not been active recently in hunting or fishing. Applications and more information on R3 in Minnesota can be found at mndnr.gov/R3. Any questions about this process, or the role of the R3 council, can be directed to James Burnham at [email protected] or 651-259-5191. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Anyone with a 2018 Minnesota fishing or hunting license can receive a free camouflage and blaze orange Twins logo cap thanks to a special ticket offer online at mndnr.gov/twinsAs part of the Minnesota DNR Days partnership with the Twins, license holders can purchase a reserved game ticket online and receive a special Twins cap at these games:  Sunday, June 24, Texas Rangers, 1:10 p.m. Sunday, July 15, Tampa Bay Rays, 1:10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 25, Oakland Athletics, 6:10 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 8, Kansas City Royals, 6:10 p.m. Ticket prices vary by game and seat locations are either in the Field Box or Home Run Porch sections. All ticket holders under this partnership will pick up their cap at the game. Instructions for purchasing tickets are at mndnr.gov/twins. Buy fishing and hunting licenses at any DNR license agent, online with a mobile or desktop device at mndnr.gov/buyalicense, or by phone at 888-665-4236. Mobile buyers receive a text or email that serves as proof of a valid fish or game license to state conservation officers. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has confirmed reports of zebra mussels in Norway Lake, just west of New London, and Diamond Lake, southeast of Spicer, in Kandiyohi County. All connected waters from Norway Lake downstream to Lake Andrew will also be added to the infested waters list.  A boater on Norway Lake recently found an adult zebra mussel attached to a floating piece of Eurasian watermilfoil and filed a report using the GLEDN (Great Lakes Early Detection Network) app.  DNR invasive species specialists conducted a dive search and found a half-inch zebra mussel attached to a rock at the south end of the lake. Separately, a citizen contacted the DNR after finding an adult zebra mussel on a settlement sampler at the end of a dock on Diamond Lake. Settlement samplers are metal plates on which young zebra mussels may settle and attach, and can be used for monitoring. A third observant lake user reported two zebra mussels found at the west boat access on Diamond Lake. “Early detection is possible when people watch for aquatic invasive species and contact us when they find them,” DNR invasive species specialist Eric Katzenmeyer said. “Take a clear photo and keep the specimen, if possible, for DNR identification.” There are several ways to be a more observant lake user. Download the GLEDN app and use it to report invasive animals and plants. Build a settlement sampler plate, using instructions available here. Consider becoming a certified aquatic invasive species detector through University of Minnesota Extension or get engaged with lake or county monitoring programs. Whether or not a lake is listed as infested, Minnesota law requires boaters and anglers to: Clean watercraft of aquatic plants and prohibited invasive species. Drain all water by removing drain plugs and keeping them out during transport. Dispose of unwanted bait in the trash. Some invasive species are small and difficult to see at the access. To remove or kill them, take one or more of the following precautions before moving to another waterbody, especially after leaving infested waters: Spray with high-pressure water. Rinse with very hot water (120 degrees Fahrenheit for at least two minutes or 140 degrees for at least 10 seconds). Dry for at least five days. Zebra mussels can compete with native species for food and habitat, cut the feet of swimmers, reduce the performance of boat motors, and cause expensive damage to water intake pipes. People should contact an area DNR aquatic invasive species specialist if they think they have found zebra mussels or any other invasive species that has not already been confirmed in a lake. More information is available at mndnr.gov/ais. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Jmnhunter
      i would be surprised; but mine is the samething, alittle loud! i cant find out which model i have, i even have the paperwork, looks like it oculd be the mach 3 plus and by the specs, i should be able to run my 1700 genny?