• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

monstermoose78

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

monstermoose78
17 minutes ago, WallyGader said:

Hear if any lakes are ice free in the Cambridge area yet?

I also went through on a lake in central mn moose, was trying to skirt around edge of rushes to get to better ice and found a weak spot, luckily I could grab the rushes and pull myself out was only 2 fow but another 2ft of mud. I was solo so made for a quick and final fishing trip ha.

Glad you are ok. I will be out checking some lakes this week as most still had some ice on them, but if it hits 80 today and the rain it should open some up.

Barbelboy

Not a lake, but the St. Croix is fishable.

20180421_124508_2.jpg

20180422_100958_8.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

rumeye

Rush lake as of yesterday still ice. Long lake and Stanchfield lake in Grady wide open. Fannie and Skogman looking like today or tomorrow. Hi Mike nice looking kids.

WallyGader

Thanks for heads up rum, trying to sneak out a evening after work to make sure i didnt mess up installing new impeller, or that' my excuse to get on the water again anyway ?

monstermoose78

Way to go @Barbelboy !! 

Ice is off most the lakes now. The crappies and gills are hitting shallow bays to feed. Get out there and have some fun. Please let us know how you did. You don’t need to say the lake but some details would be great to help others get some fish. Pictures are awesome too

IceHawk

Way to get the kiddos out on some good sucker fishing. Good way to make some great memories. 

ZachD
9 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Way to go @Barbelboy !! 

Ice is off most the lakes now. The crappies and gills are hitting shallow bays to feed. Get out there and have some fun. Please let us know how you did. You don’t need to say the lake but some details would be great to help others get some fish. Pictures are awesome too

I will be out Monday somewhere either long lake or green will give a report when I get back

• Thumbs Up 1

gimruis
Posted (edited)

I went out on Saturday morning but I did not do any panfishing.  I mostly went out to get my boat in the water before opener and to make sure everything was running properly.  I'm not the person that's gonna wait until the opener to start up my outboard, livewell, electronics, etc.  Don't be THAT guy

Edited by gimruis

ZachD

Didnt do much fishing but didnt find any crappies  

was on long lake they didnt have the boat ramp dock out.

EFC042BD-C474-44FB-8F52-1DFD7AEF0551.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

Hello everyone, 

please check out the fishing report clubs. I believe the first few members can get in free. I hope you are all doing well fishing and hunting. I look forward to reading your reports. 

If you any questions just ask.

thank you,

monstermoose

monstermoose78

The walleye bite is heating up around the area. Bass are on the beds and panfish are keeping most anglers busy. Remember the new pike regs are in place now. Good luck and let’s hear some reports and see some more photos!! Thank you to all that check my reports. I am off to get some fishing in. 

gimruis

I went out on Saturday for about 5 hours and my friend and I caught a lot of crappies but they were mostly all dinks (8-10 inchers).  We only caught 4 of them over 10 inches.  Plus a few small bass and one pike.  We released all of them.  Water temp was right around 60, a little warmer up shallow in a bay.

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78
6 hours ago, gimruis said:

I went out on Saturday for about 5 hours and my friend and I caught a lot of crappies but they were mostly all dinks (8-10 inchers).  We only caught 4 of them over 10 inches.  Plus a few small bass and one pike.  We released all of them.  Water temp was right around 60, a little warmer up shallow in a bay.

Thanks for the update

monstermoose78

Well I did not get a turkey this year but I sure had a blast hunting for them. Lots of close calls but just never got a shot. 

Fishing the rum river before the rain was hot and the local lakes are doing well. Check out the fishing clubs section as many very skilled anglers post extremely detailed reports. 

monstermoose78

Come on guys let’s hear some reports?

monstermoose78

The rum is giving up somefish in town, but if you get away from easy spots you will catch more. 

Most area lakes are giving up bass and gills. 

Turkeys are looking like they had a great hatch. I have not seen pheasants for awhile or ant grouse.

gimruis

Moose, there was an article in the Star Tribune yesterday about the grouse population and how it has possible plummeted in Minnesota and Wisconsin due to WNV (West Nile Virus).  I wonder if this disease could affect pheasant, turkey, or even duck populations.

monstermoose78

I put money it can. 

Sculpin

I saw the article also, I think it is possible, but how the population went from up 58% last year to practically nothing is beyond me.  More "science" from our friends at the DNR. 

It is also becoming increasingly more evident that the expansion of the turkey range may be playing a role in the reduction of grouse numbers, both in terms of nesting success, and the survival of chicks.

I'm sure 20/25 years of study, analysis, speculation, comparative data, blue ribbon panels, neighbor states consultations, and hunter surveys will have it all sorted out.

I personally think turkeys can sweep thru the woods and eat everything in sight in short order. I'm a turkey hunter, but its reason for concern  

Bigfatbert
8 hours ago, gimruis said:

Moose, there was an article in the Star Tribune yesterday about the grouse population and how it has possible plummeted in Minnesota and Wisconsin due to WNV (West Nile Virus).  I wonder if this disease could affect pheasant, turkey, or even duck populations.

Our  DNR isn’t good whatsoever , mis-management , and a lot of BS .yes the West Nile is out of there control , but does anybody really believe a straightforward answer and/or possible response or plan to combat such  will be brought forward to us ? They will say there favorite line ‘’we will take things into consideration’’ .. our game/fish are in the in the hurt bag in this state . Kiss the good old days away for grouse , deer , waterfowl ,walleye in some lakes with slots , and other game fish . Now with that being said the state just wants money from license sales , imagine that , money , the root of all evil  , hmmmmmm where have we heard this before ?? Our state and our DNR are bogus when it comes to proper management , when oh when are we the sportsmen going to say enough is enough . Period ! Ok , know I now the cumbiya sayers will be defending our DNR here , but fellow people what are you all seeing with our game ? There we go now I think a few others besides me , and the Monstermoose will see what I’m getting at . Ive hunted and fished here in Mn my whole life , I’ve seen the good , and I sure do see the bad now in so many ways.  No none of this game is extinct , but it sure ain’t like it used to be . Probably a lot more hunters and fishermen today with much better technology , that all needs to be taken into consideration and managed accordingly in a biological sense , whatever that may be , not in the holy dollar sense .. By !!

• Thumbs Up 1

eyeguy 54

some of you guys need to go work at the DNR so its run perfect. LOL 

• Thumbs Up 3

Sculpin

If you want to see how the DNR "runs" volunteer, or perhaps you have in some capacity. I have, and what I saw, and learned was very frustrating, eye opening, and for me, almost total disbelief.

It's a world of volunteers, interns, low level functionaries, and a few people who are working their way up the bureaucratic ladder within the organization. For the most part a bunch of "scientists" career bureaucrats, but well meaning, and for the most part dedicated.

They are continually understaffed, underfunded, and their equipment for the most part is broken down. Its not their fault, they have their hands out continuously, and they never get the funding necessary to function at the level that Minnesota outdoors people have come to expect.

If the Sportsmen and Women of Minn. could ever come together and become the political and economic force that their numbers represent, then maybe real change would occur.

In the meantime, sadly, they muddle along with what they have, and it will never "run perfect" But that does not exempt them from constructive criticism.   

monstermoose78
12 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Tried but they told me I am over qualified @eyeguy 54 

• Haha 2

Bigfatbert
9 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Never could work for the state again ..  only did for about a total of 6 months back in the 1980s , and wow what I saw , wasted tax payer money  to the big nuts , hush hush type of doings ,  was even told once that what I saw shouldn’t be mentioned to nobody ..

i happen to know a world renowned , now retired wildlife biologist who reviewed our present DNR whitetail deer strategy just released by the DNR for the next year . His response was “wow what a mess” not liking it at all .. He even offered the DNR tips or thoughts ,just to hear we will take it into consideration .. 

eyeguy 54

you shoulda stayed, then all would be great. LOL 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are holding in the low 50's but expect them to continue to drop this week with temperatures in the high 30's and even snow in the forecast.

Both Minnesota and Canadian walleye fishing are on fire with only a jig and shiner or minnow needed. Look for Walleye in areas of current, pinch points between islands or rocky bays. Fish are currently shiner dependent in 17-25 feet.

Crappies are being found away from the rocks suspended over mud bottoms in 24-28 feet.

Perch can be found on deeper reefs topping out at 28 feet. 

Muskie trolling is off to a great start and will only continue to get better as the water temperature reaches into the high 40's. 

We will be closing down for ice in October 22nd - we hope to see you before then for some late fall fantastic fishing!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Lake of the Woods water temps are steadily falling into the mid to low 50’s. This past week cold fronts and strong winds have fish schooling up and feeding heavily.

In Minnesota, look to rocky bays and adjacent reefs in 15-22ft. of water.  A jig and minnow is all that is needed to catch a limit in a short period of time. Bottle necks between islands in the NW Angle are also worth fishing in the evenings.

In Canada, the fishing has been excellent.  Crappie, walleye and perch are all schooling up and taking a jig and minnow.  With the water temperatures dropping, expect to see the muskie bite increase while trolling. 

We will be closing October 22nd for ice in! Contact us for availability for your fall fishing trip!

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin... Very strong walleye fishing continues with the jig bite picking up.  Charters finding limits of eater walleyes with big fish mixed in.  Crankbaits, spinners / crawlers and jigs with frozen shiners in main basin successful. 15-31 feet of water producing good numbers of walleyes across south shore with very good numbers in front of gap. Shiners showing up at mouth of Rainy River as well as up the Rainy River. 
      On the Rainy River... With shiners entering the river, eater walleyes showing up as well.  Anglers reporting success both jigging and pulling crankbaits.  Walleye activity will be increasing as shiner run continues.  

Up at the NW Angle... Strong numbers of walleyes being caught on mud flats and around Garden Island. 15 - 25' is a good start.  Spinners, crankbaits and jigging all producing.  Some nice jumbo perch mixed with walleyes.  Muskie activity picking up as water is cooling.  Next full moon, Sep 24.  Crappie anglers are producing big black slabs.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye action remains strong with spinners in mud bottomed areas near reefs using both minnows and crawlers. Fish can also be found in shallower water (15ft. or less) around Garden Island. Crankbaits seem to be the most effective at enticing larger fish. 
      Canadian walleye fishing has been fabulous this past week. The jig and minnow bite is on! Multiple boats ran out of bait and had just as much success switching to plastics. Bottom bouncing with crawlers remains effective in soft bottom areas as well.  Crappies continue to school up on deep water points. Hot windows of muskie bites have become shorter but still with good success.  Plenty of fish in the 4ft plus range and even a couple over 50!
      Water temps remain stable between 64-67 degrees. 
      See you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      9.4.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye fishing remains best with deep trolling minnow baits in 22-27 feet of water.  These same areas will provide action with a spinner and a minnow, however crawlers are still producing fish.  In the coming weeks, jig and minnow fishing will be the go to with fish stacking themselves on points and current areas. 

Canadian walleye action remains strong on bottom bouncer and spinner rigs with either a crawler or minnow.  Walleye are starting to school tighter making jig and minnow fishing very effective. Fall fishing is starting to heat up and we are seeing crappies schooled up on deep points.

Surface water temps are currently in the low 70’s throughout the day. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye fishing has been great using bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Anglers are being selective to fill limits with 16-18” fish as well as a few over 28 released. Most success has been in the mud, off of structure in 21-23 feet and 26-30 feet. The largest fish seem to come from South of Garden Island on crank-baits.

Canadian walleye are also most effectively targeted with bottom bouncers and spinners. Depth has not been as important as being at the bottom of a break line in the flat. Gold with chartreuse has been best as of late.  Musky activity has slowed from the prior weeks but expect it to ramp up with the full moon approaching. Perch have been schooled up on and around reefs topping out around 30 feet.

Water temps remain consistently in the low to mid 70’s. 

Remember - fall is the time for trophy fish up at the NW Angle!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Water temps are consitently in the mid to high 70’s.
      Walleye in Minnesota can be caught on reefs with a jig and minnow. More productive methods currently are bottom bouncers and crank-baits in 24-28 feet of water.  Covering a lot of ground is key when the fish arent schooled together.  We have had many 40”+ Pike caught while trolling, reports of large Muskie also.
      Candian walleye are spread out as well, making bottom bouncing and deep cranks the ticket to success. Fish mud bottomed areas deeper than 25ft for best results. Many nice jumbo perch limits have been coming in recently. They are biting on a jig and fathead and are concentrated at 28-30ft.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• JerkinLips
      Lake Vermilion/Big Bay is frozen over and somebody was fishing in a portable out of McKinley Park today, so the season has officially begun.  Not sure if I will make it up next weekend after 12 days of deer hunting.  Be very careful if you go out.    
    • monstermoose78
      In my deer hunting party you can’t shoot anyone else’s deer any more!! Unless you give them permission to harvest your deer and everyone agreed except one uncle and he is no longer allowed at deer camp! He is not happy but the deer camp is better without him.
    • gimruis
      Minnesota is one of very few states that still allows party hunting.  That rule needs to go.  If you were limited to one and ONLY one buck the entire season, regardless of what weapon or zone you hunted in, or who you hunted with, it would immediately increase the average size of bucks.  If a hunter was going to hunt for days, and he saw a spike or a fork on the first day, I think it would make them think twice about filling their tag right away knowing that they wouldn't be able to shoot another one and fill someone else's tag later on.   The House of Representatives recently passed a ruling on removing gray wolves from the endangered species list in the great lakes region.  That's a good first step.  Each state is capable of managing their own wolf population whether that is through a limited, lottery drawn season or whatever.
    • kfancody
      I found 14 of these! Glad ice is back.
    • Parmer
      On red people walking out. Not sure about LOTW. 
    • CANOPY SAM
      I've heard there are places allowing folks to walk out.  Is this true?   Any news on 2018-19 Ice?   Satellite images?    I'm chomping at the (auger) bit!!!  har har har.... 😆
    • CANOPY SAM
      This is always an interesting topic.   I absolutely love Whitetail Deer and Deer Hunting!  I read messages from all over the state and I'm often reminded just how fortunate we've been to live in a high density deer area (Northwest Minnesota).   In our particular zone, being primarily agricultural land, it's key to a hunter's success to be on, or very near the food during the regular firearms deer season.  In a "normal" year with reasonably normal early to mid-November weather, if you're on the food source you're covered up in deer.  If you're not, you can have some pretty quiet days in the stand.   Last year, and the year before, we had some standing beans on our deer lease.  All thru the bowhunting season, and well into the firearms season, it wasn't unusual at all for us to have 25-35 deer milling around any one of our multiple stand sites.  We had our choice from multiple 2 1/2 yr old bucks, spikes and forks galore, and of course does and fawns constantly making it hard to remain undetected.  There was always at least one real tanker somewhere on the State Land adjacent to our lease, but they usually go entirely nocturnal about 30 seconds after the firearms season starts.   This year, for a number of foolish reasons, we didn't have ANY food left on our lease anywhere!  Boy was that a mistake we'll never make again!  We still had a fair number of deer move thru our property, but for obvious reasons they were all headed somewhere else.  Personally, I passed on a couple forkhorns, and a couple mature does, but never did see anything I bothered to put the scope on.   My youngest son harvested his first deer ever - a nice 9-point "first" deer for a young hunter.  He's pictured in another thread.  That was the biggest animal any of us saw on our lease.   Opinions/observations.... As we are really fortunate compared to many I really can't complain about our deer hunting opportunities.  One of the things that worked against us this year was the weather.  Our weather patterns were like a bad roller coaster ride!  Super cold and windy one night, then really mild and dead calm the next.  Then another couple days of spitting snow, high winds, and frigid temps, only to return to mild and calm.  This made it hard to "pattern" any movement.   I'm pretty sure we're seeing an uptick in predator numbers in our area.  I watched fox from the deer stand.  I know there are coyotes in the area, and I saw very large canine tracks on our land, but I can't say for certain if they were a wolf's tracks, or if they were simply the neighbor's dog?  I did note there were noticeably fewer fawns around this year as compared to last year, and the year before.   Last winter was a long, tough one in NW MN.  It was VERY cold (double digit subzero temps) for a VERY long time (3-4 weeks straight?), and it just dragged on, and on, late into the spring.  I suspect we likely experienced more winter kill than many of us know.   My last observation.  I see this every year, and I sense it's just getting worse with each subsequent season.  There aren't very many people in our area that know how to successfully hunt whitetail deer.  This year I actually watched a neighbor drive INTO the woods, right to the base of his stand!  Mind you, there isn't any road there!  He just drove across the field to the edge of the treeline, then proceeded to drive right thru the trees and brush to his stand!    Few people pay any heed at all to scent control.  They routinely make more noise than a demolition crew going into and out of their hunting areas.  And when the deer aren't up and moving, again for obvious reasons, most people jump into their vehicles and road hunt all day.  To take a trophy animal in our zone during the regular firearms deer season is almost nothing but LUCK.  It might just be me, but I believe the vast majority of our really big trophy bucks go 100% nocturnal within minutes of the firearms opener.  It's not really hard to see why.   But again, I can't complain.  We see lots of deer, and we have lots of opportunities to harvest animals.  I am spoiled by numbers of Whitetail Deer.  Is there such a thing as being too picky when deer hunting? 😄  It will be wonderful to hit the woods again this coming weekend with the muzzleloader.  There will be almost no one else around.  Our zone is a ghost town during the smokepole season.  It's AWESOME!!!!!   ALL the deer are MINE!!! 😆
    • JFitz
      Dad and I got on the lake today. Ice in Niles Bay was pretty good, we found 4.5" about 100 yards off shore. No walleyes but the whitefish were going pretty good! Caught 10 of these today. Sure good to be back on ice!
    • Wanderer
      Area 172 started slow but stayed steady or improved a bit for our group.  I think there were 9 FA hunters and only 1 buck shot the first weekend.  Most everyone saw deer though and let em walk.     Weekend 2 we picked up one more buck.  Deer were still seen but the woods went pretty quiet for shooting.  Mid week another tag was filled, leaving us with 6 to go into this weekend.   2 of the 6 were filled yesterday and 2 more filled today.  So, 7/9 didn’t seem too shabby.  6 bucks; 1 doe.   I’d say where we were, going to HC this year from permits last year might’ve been premature.  Maybe?  I do know there were hardly any hunters out this last weekend and the harvest was down like everywhere else going into it.  In my travels on public land, sign was poor.  On private it was pretty good.  But our best 4 deer came off public land.
    • Kettle
      Boot lake is not open to fishing.  I checked typo lake yesterday. Really sketchy right out from the access about 10 feet or so. Past that there was 4.5 inches. I did not fish just wanted to see if I got the new auger blades on correctly