• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

I sat for 8 of the 9 day deer season.  The first 4 days were really good and then the warm temps/rain completely halted almost all deer movement.  My Father dumped a corn fed doe to fill a bonus antlerless deer tag so we'll have some decent venison to eat.  I saw 4 small bucks including a decent 8 pointer but I let them walk.  I probably saw over 200 pheasants and over 100 turkeys while I was deer hunting.  There is no shortage of either one.  I'll be pheasant hunting starting this week and I expect it to be nothing short of fantastic until the season ends.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
3 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Monster moose, do your dogs sit on your lap too like this!🙄🤣

IMG_20221115_184621731~2.jpg

Yes they do lol

• l Love It 1

Well I check a few lakes and south stanchfield, lori, green, baxter, blue all looked to be locked up. There might have been open water on green and blue where the geese were, but I could not tell for sure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey everyone I want to say if you see any spam crap please click report and put spam in the reason. This allows me to go take care of it quickly . thank you

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 2

Today was the day to get my ice gear ready to go. Put new line on, sorted jigs, filled plastic containers, and got the batteries charged up. Now for the questions.

Switched the auger back to the 6 inch bit for around here. The question is should I have switched? I have a 8 and 6. 

Debating on ordering a 32 or 34 inch panfish custom rod. I just can’t decide if I should or not. Hmmm 🤔 

Tomorrow should I go pheasant hunting or grouse hunting? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

2 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Today was the day to get my ice gear ready to go. Put new line on, sorted jigs, filled plastic containers, and got the batteries charged up. Now for the questions.

Switched the auger back to the 6 inch bit for around here. The question is should I have switched? I have a 8 and 6. 

Debating on ordering a 32 or 34 inch panfish custom rod. I just can’t decide if I should or not. Hmmm 🤔 

Tomorrow should I go pheasant hunting or grouse hunting? 

No, yes, yes! 😄

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1

Well the pups and I just got home. No birds found, but boy did we find some deer. All in the cattail’s and to the guy muzzleloader hunting, I hope your shot connected with that 8 pointer. I dont know how you got in there because we did not see and cars or trucks. Looked like he stopped in front of you to see if we were coming. Then boom 💥. The dogs are sleeping and I am thinking about a nap. 

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

4 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Well the pups and I just got home. No birds found, but boy did we find some deer. All in the cattail’s and to the guy muzzleloader hunting, I hope your shot connected with that 8 pointer. I dont know how you got in there because we did not see and cars or trucks. Looked like he stopped wright in front of you to see if we were coming. Then boom 💥. The dogs are sleeping and I am thinking about a nap. 

Hey I'm going bow hunting in the morning.  Mind taking your dog out again!  😁

• Yayyyy 2
  • l Love It 1

53 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Hey I'm going bow hunting in the morning.  Mind taking your dog out again!  😁

No problem 

• I Like it 1

On 11/26/2022 at 12:25 PM, monstermoose78 said:

Tomorrow should I go pheasant hunting

I'm planning to go later this week.  There's fresh snow coming tomorrow too.

Went yesterday afternoon for a couple hours in the fresh snow.  Got 4 roosters at 3 spots and raised about 50, plus 3 deer.  Areas near standing corn were the most productive.

12-1-22 roosters.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gimruis said:

Went yesterday afternoon for a couple hours in the fresh snow.  Got 4 roosters at 3 spots and raised about 50, plus 3 deer.  Areas near standing corn were the most productive.

12-1-22 roosters.jpg

Let me know when you go again.  I'll being my crossbow and take out the Deer when you kick them up!  😁

• I Like it 1

The pups and I put on 10.5 miles today and flushed 3 hens, 2 grouse and I killed a pine tree, 1 rooster flushed wildly 100 yards to left of us. It sure was fun to get out and seeing some birds. We did jump a good number of deer. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Ok I did not check ice thicknesses yet but green, blue, baxter, lori, and elk all had anglers on them. I hope to check thicknesses soon.

17 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

and elk

I have a story about Elk Lake.  Last spring after ice out, I was crappie fishing out there in one of those shallow back water areas that hold dozens of puny crappies.  I caught over 100 in a couple hours.  I went back a week later, and one of the land owners came down to his dock and told me that a couple days earlier, a flock of pelicans was in there gulping up crappies as fast as they could.  Literally.  He said they would herd them into a corner and then other ones would swoop in with their gaping mouths/beaks and suck em down like a vacuum.  They did this for 2 days straight until there didn't appear to be any crappies left in there.

He said he considered putting a halt to it because they are gluttons and he could tell it was going to make a sizable dent in the crappie population, but he let it go because it was just "part of nature."  Needless to say, when I was back there fishing the second time, I didn't catch a single crappie and I had caught over 100 a week earlier.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 2

no friggin way i'd let them worthless friggin pelicans do that. i'd make me a life size leech lookin scarecrow!!!!!!!!!!!🤣🤭

just joshing ya leech!!!!!!!!!!🤗 but i seriously wouldnt allow that  to happen!!!!!!!!

• Confused 1

Any update on ice fishing? Was out on Green yesterday and there was about 5" of ice from the launch. Didnt push it too far. Really slow fishing. 

Anyone fished Ann lake in the past year? Update? 

2 hours ago, thefishingpublic said:

Any update on ice fishing? Was out on Green yesterday and there was about 5" of ice from the launch. Didnt push it too far. Really slow fishing. 

Anyone fished Ann lake in the past year? Update? 

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the ice report. I'm sure more reports on other lake will start coming in as more folks brave the ice. 

19 hours ago, Mike89 said:

seem then birds do that too!!!   it is interesting the way they herd the fish and swoop in on them...  

I've never really seen or heard of pelicans making a dent in a fish population around here.  I don't even see that many to be honest.  I see more of them to the west on bigger waters.  I always thought they were more of a saltwater bird.

Edited by gimruis

3 hours ago, gimruis said:

I've never really seen or heard of pelicans making a dent in a fish population around here.  I don't even see that many to be honest.  I see more of them to the west on bigger waters.  I always thought they were more of a saltwater bird.

spring time  and fall is when I seen them eat like that...  

On 12/6/2022 at 12:43 PM, Mike89 said:

seem then birds do that too!!!   it is interesting the way they herd the fish and swoop in on them...  

I didn’t personally see it but DNR staffer claimed the same thing happened on Crow Wing Lake just south of Brainerd this spring.

I guess I’ll know if it’s true soon enough. 😐

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

I didn’t personally see it but DNR staffer claimed the same thing happened on Crow Wing Lake just south of Brainerd this spring.

I guess I’ll know if it’s true soon enough. 😐

even seen it here on the small lake I live on in the spring..  

Not sure how they pick their lakes but seem to hit certain ones yearly. I know they put a big dent in the sunfish on Eden Lake. But I have never seen them on Carnelian Lake. I know DNR would frown on shooting them but I bet some kids having fun with drones could scare them off maybe.

This might not have been bad for elk lake to get rid of some of those tiny crappies. Maybe this will allow some to get bigger.

On 12/9/2022 at 11:38 AM, monstermoose78 said:

This might not have been bad for elk lake to get rid of some of those tiny crappies. Maybe this will allow some to get bigger.

They've been stunted in that lake for over a decade.  I've never caught one over 10 inches in there out of literally thousands I've caught over the years.

On 12/12/2022 at 8:02 AM, gimruis said:

They've been stunted in that lake for over a decade.  I've never caught one over 10 inches in there out of literally thousands I've caught over the years.

I have done good but it has been a while. 

anyone been out ? I am hoping next weekend when things firm up.