• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78
Posted (edited)

Most of my favorite wood duck puddles and  dry, so this year is going to be slow year unless we some heavy rains soon. 

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monstermoose78

• gimruis

• Wanderer

• eyeguy 54

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took the owners of Baby Beaver Baits and my boss Brian out fishing in the wind and  caught a few fish. All gills over 9 went back and all crappies over 12 were released. Best bait was 3 mm jig with a

Went out to lake that I have not been on in many years and the nice gills wanted to play eat the pink impluse mayfly and I was all about that game. 8-11 feet of water away from the crowds on a nice in

I hit 4 lakes today from sunrise until 4 pm. The first 3 were dead, but the forth one was gold. I moved at least 3 times on the first two lakes and cut close 25-30 holes per spot. on the lake I found

Posted Images

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

There ended up being 4 chocolate girls so mrs moose has a tough decision to make!

saw some kids that had a stringer full of eyes from the rum river. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Fishing has picked up for me the last couple weeks.  The Rum won't be fishable for this guy this season.  Its at historically low levels.  Gonna have to stick entirely to lakes this season.

7-30-21 bass1.jpg

7-30-21 bass2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
21 hours ago, Wanderer said:

@gimruis what baits seem to be working for the bigger bass these days?

The last couple times I have caught fish on some more aggressive patterns because when we started it was cloudy.  Buzz baits over clumps of weeds, chatter baits, and spinner baits.  Basically something that makes some noise or has vibration.  Once the sun comes out and moved up in the sky around 9am, the fish leave those areas and head towards shade whether that be in the form of thick weeds, docks, etc.  So them I have to rig up a plastic and pitch that in there with a slower approach.

I prefer to target them with the faster, more aggressive approach but unfortunately they just aren't willing to bite those lures when its sunny and warmer out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Strong summer walleye patterns continue, which is a good thing for catching LOW walleyes. The two primary techniques are drifting or trolling spinners with live bait and trolling crankbaits.
      Schools of walleyes obviously move around based on forage, wind, current and a variety of other factors.  This past week, a couple of patterns emerged.  First and very consistent, targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud in Big Traverse Bay.  Fish of all sizes being caught.  
      The second pattern was off of Pine Island.  With a south wind, a nice bite set up in 16 - 22 feet.  Other patterns such as walleyes relating to structure are also in play.  
      Hammered gold, pink, yellow, orange and red / white are colors doing well.  It is a good idea to use something different from your fishing partner until the walleyes tell you what they want that day.
      On the Rainy River...   A mixed bag on the Rainy River this week.  Most walleye anglers focus on the lake this time of year but nice pockets of "local" walleyes are in the river year round.  Holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find scattered fish.
      Pike adjacent to weeds and current breaks.  Smallmouth bass in great numbers and they don't get much attention.  
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing up at the Angle this week.  Much like the south end, one area to consider is the deep mud of Little Traverse Bay.  Walleyes are set up over mud in 28 - 33 feet.  Spinners and crankbaits are effective in covering water and catching these fish.  
      There is so much fun structure to fish where pods of walleyes are hanging out.  Underwater points, sunken islands, and neck down areas are just a few also holding walleyes.    
      Pike are usually willing to play and continue to be active in weedy bays.  Spinnerbaits, spoons, crankbaits and bucktails are good choices.  
      Smallmouth bass are relating to deeper rocks.  Some nice muskies caught and released again this week.
      Canada announced driving over the border will be possible August 9th for fully vaccinated Americans who have a negative PCR COVID test less than 72 hours old. Other ways to the Angle...
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  We are in the heart of a great summer walleye pattern on LOW. This means good fishing is taking place with two primary methods, pulling spinners with live bait and trolling crankbaits.
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud. Lots of big fish being caught.  The scattered reefs are holding fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, pink, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits and covering water over deep mud has also been effective.  Anglers getting cranks deep in a number of ways.  Leadcore line, a 4 ounce bottom bouncer with a 6' leader, snap weights or downriggers are all viable options.
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is a great option on windy days, small boats, kayaks or for a change of pace.  Fishing the river producing walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon.  
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great summer walleye fishing this week.  Fish in various areas including  the mud, structure such as sunken islands and underwater points and rocky areas.
      Most anglers drifting spinners with crawlers or minnows and trolling crankbaits.  
      Pike continue to be active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      Canada announced driving over the border will be possible August 9th for fully vaccinated Americans who have a negative PCR COVID test less than 72 hours old. Other ways to the Angle...
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  

• Dash 1
      By Dash 1
      Curious how the depth is in river from Wolf lake to Andrusia and Cass. Is it navigateable.  Was  up there last September and went through there. Kind of scenic and nice slow ride on the mighty Mississippi.  Did get a few fish as well.  Hopefully going there again this year.  Staying at my brother's cabin with his son and my dad near Becida. With dad in his early 80s hoping to keep this 3 year tradition going for a while.
    • PSU
      By PSU
      Heard from an island neighbor (Church Island) next to ours that a bear killed a small dog yesterday around 8:00 pm on an island in Frazer Bay. Also, my other island neighbor to the east (Juniper Island) reported three bears yesterday and one chased after their labrador retriever.  

Watch your pets friends, some of these bears are very aggressive!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A lot of summer walleyes are being caught and fishing has been good.  
      Not all walleyes are targeting the same forage consequently walleyes are being caught shallow to deep.   Many of the shallow fish are eating crayfish or schools of baitfish.  Deep fish feeding on baitfish, mayfly larvae, blood worms, tullibees and the list goes on!
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud.  The scattered reefs can always hold fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits has also been effective.  This technique puts your lure in front of a lot of fish and will get those "reaction" bites even when fish aren't actively feeding.  Pink UV Firetiger, chrome/blue and shiny golds are good colors to start with. 
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River producing a variety of fish.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are in the mix.    
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The river is a great change of pace, is beautiful and doesn't receive a lot of traffic during the summer months.
      The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st and is open through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Lots of walleyes being caught.  Some fish over the mud, others hanging around structure and a few in shallow rocks eating crayfish.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows or leeches on the spot on the spot can be effective.  If fish aren't there, move and find them.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers and trolling crankbaits over deep mud areas.  
      Pike are active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      With the Canada border still closed, there are a few ways to get up to the Angle.  
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages around LOW at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging.  For last minute lodging, try the lodging availability finder at www.fishingminnesota.com/lodging-availability-request/

• CigarGuy
      By CigarGuy
      Have some friends coming up this weekend. They have an 18" glass pleasure boat. Wondering if with the low water, we'll have trouble launching? Anybody use the launch lately?
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Day 3 of using nothing but drop shots, wacky rigs, and jig and craw took me to Wisconsin to see if I could continue my newfound favorite lures. I went to Church Pine Lake, just east of Osceola. Never been here before, so had no clue what to expect. Turns out to be a nice little lake for a small boat such as mine. Lots of potential here, but fishing was tough today. Most fish came on the drop shot on the deep weed edges. 6 bass and 1 little pike. Highlight came at the very end of the day, where I caught a 21 inch bass right in front of the access. Best way to end the day 😁

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Another really good week of summer walleye fishing.  Walleyes are being found in many areas but most are targeting deep mud in 30 - 34' of water.
      A nice mix of eaters, slots and quite a few trophy walleyes over 28 inches caught this week.  Spinners with crawlers / leeches or trolling crankbaits have been the most effective techniques.  
      Good spinner blade colors to start with are hammered gold, red / white, gold / glow, pink, orange or chartreuse.
      Crankbait colors, pink UV firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger.  It is good to start with different colors / shapes / action of cranks when fishing with other anglers and let the walleyes tell you that day what they want.    
      On the Rainy River...   The river produces a mixed bag of fish during the summer months.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are all available.  
      The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st and is open through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Lots of walleyes being caught.  Some fish over the mud, others hanging around structure and a few in shallow rocks eating crayfish.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows or leeches on structure is still effective if fish are present.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers over deep mud areas.  Trolling crankbaits continues to be effective.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are a few ways to get up to the Angle.  

• Marye
      By Marye
      So I'm fairly new to the area my boys love fishing as do I . We have been attempting for the past couple of weeks to find a place we can fish without a boat. In between Brainerd and Little Falls. Also times of day to go. We love fishing I'm a newbie as well so just looking for ideas please and thank you.
    • rumeye
      By rumeye
      Going up to GM 16th through the 21st bringing my 14fter was looking at Ball club and east west twin for walleyes. Anybody fish these before or am I just better off smallie fishing on Two Island or trout in Kimball. I know JB and Moose will have some feedback so what say you ? going up with the wife and 8 yr old grandson they will be kayaking me fishing. Although grandson will probably want to be fishing with me. Appreciate any feedback from you guys thanks.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.