• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Mr. Pickeral

Roadkill Deer

Mr. Pickeral

Im sure this topics has been discussed many times but just wanted to revisit it real quick as I had one quick question.  If you do all the necessary steps in claiming the roadkill deer can you just take the deer directly to a processor or must you gut it and strip the hide off first and do your own processing?  Im aware that many parts of the deer might be damaged, but I would imagine a processor would know that?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks  

Wanderer

I might suggest having the discussion with a processor you think you'd use before picking one up.

Once you get the possession tag from LE, it's as good as a license.  Whether or not a processor would handle road kill is something I can't answer for them.

• Like 4

Powerstroke

Agreed with Wanderer, once you've got your possession permit from LE, its yours. Your processor may not take it. They may also charge you full price to process a deer that is only half edible. 

If you've never done it before, roadkill can be a great opportunity to start learning to process the animal yourself and save some  $$ without feeling like you might mess up the only deer you shot this year. 

• Like 4

DonBo
14 hours ago, Powerstroke said:

Agreed with Wanderer, once you've got your possession permit from LE, its yours. Your processor may not take it. They may also charge you full price to process a deer that is only half edible. 

If you've never done it before, roadkill can be a great opportunity to start learning to process the animal yourself and save some  $$ without feeling like you might mess up the only deer you shot this year. 

Great answer!  Plenty of youtube how too videos out there.

Mr. Pickeral

Awesome thanks guys.  Only reason i ask was someone hit one just by my house the other night and just got me thinking.  Only got 1 doe that had to get split with 4 guys this year during hunting season so the freezer is a little thin, but agreed that a deer like that would be good to learn on how to get better at doing it myself.  Thanks 

• Like 1

ZachD

We got a road kill deer this year, We didn't worry about cutting steaks or anything with it, we just cut it and put all the meat in with the rest of the trim from the deer we shot. Usually when we bring trim in they only care to have one tag I know when I brought trim from 3 different deer in last year the guy only wrote down my main tag info.

I wouldn't bring one in straight the processor though like powerstroke said it would be good practice. And if you are just cutting meat to make sausage and what not it shouldn't take too long.

I know some places charge you  extra money for handling spoiled meat too so at least this way you don't waste your money incase for some reason it is bad.