• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe Ice reports

Horseshoe_Don

Don, is it OK if I share this info on the Facebook Minnesota ice fishing page?  Just trying to share the info of the map so people know the proper place to access the ice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I decided to go watch them pull it out.   Never seen that before.   While they are working on pulling it out, another car is driving at them down the riverbed.   The officer has to run over and shoe them away.   The DNR might need to close that to traffic since there are a lot of dumb people.

Don

20170122_172152.jpg

The DNR should post a sign telling those unfamiliar with the lake that driving out from the main public access is unsafe. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that over there. 

How's the winter access holding up with these warm temps? Was thinking of coming up tomorrow or Tuesday. 

Shoe side is pretty bad, Cedar is a little better.... there is another access to Cedar off 71, that one is about the best right now.

yea personally i think people are nutz driving vehicles on the lakes around here right now.............be safe walk or use a wheeler!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/23/2017 at 6:53 PM, noska said:

Out of curiosity what do you all think this cost them?  Not including the truck damage.  

$3000-5000 to yank a truck out of the lake. Plus, some insurances will not cover any of the damage.

On 1/23/2017 at 6:53 PM, noska said:

Out of curiosity what do you all think this cost them?  Not including the truck damage.  

my uncles truck was $5,500 to pull out. that included a diver. 

How's the vehicle traffic on the Chain following our recent warm-up? Are people still driving out there, or is there an increase in those dragging sleds? I'm a little concerned about those accesses.

Made it up to Horseshoe yesterday to mix it up and look for some cats. Fished from 10-3:30 and caught around 15 cats from 1.5-5lbs. A trailer wiring issue kept us from staying for the prime time bite.  The fish were roaming the edge of the basin in 29'-40'. Never even set up the house and had to hole hop the entire time to stay on them.  Winter access was a little wet, but useable. We parked on the ice and drove the side by side out.  One thing to note, they only marked the spot that truck went in with a tree branch.  Seems to me they could have left a cone or reflector so nobody runs a sled into it.

1 hour ago, tworiversman said:

That's a few bills.....

3 hours ago, tworiversman said:

you wouldnt happen to have an uncle nicknamed schmiddy do ya???????????

On 1/25/2017 at 3:16 PM, smurfy said:

you wouldnt happen to have an uncle nicknamed schmiddy do ya???????????

No, most people call him Big Bry or Bryan. 

Just curious...... i have a high school classmate that dropped his truck in near krons bay years back!!!!!!!!!! wondered if it was the same guy!

They are driving everywhere.   Never really stopped.   The guy that went through, it was his own fault and would have gone through if there was 2 feet on the lake.

Don

5 hours ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

They are driving everywhere.   Never really stopped.   The guy that went through, it was his own fault and would have gone through if there was 2 feet on the lake.

Don

I figured that out just hours after making that post on Weds. I dragged out, just to be safe, because the access looked a little sketchy. Plus, I didn't see anyone out there. Once I was out there, I realized the ice was plenty solid and I could have driven out.

1 hour ago, Kelly Oman said:

Can a car make it out? Or is the access too torn up?

Might or might not make it on Shoe side. Cedar side is a little more forgiving

• Thumbs Up 1

Found only 13" of ice most places I drilled on cedar island.   Both accesses are fine on shoe and cedar island.

Don

2 hours ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

Found only 13" of ice most places I drilled on cedar island.   Both accesses are fine on shoe and cedar island.

Don

13 inches of ice and people driving all over with trucks and big houses. That's plain crazy and asking for trouble,IMO!

On 1/28/2017 at 6:59 AM, Kelly Oman said:

Can a car make it out? Or is the access too torn up?

The Horseshoe side is quite bumpy and steep. I certainly wouldn't take a car out on that side. That'd be a good way to seriously bust up the underside of your car.

2 hours ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

Don

No wonder you're driving the wheeler around. 13" of ice during a sketchy freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw winter is really pushing it, in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

The chain is a mess now.   Water everywhere.    I personally did not think the ice was safe before this for big trucks.   We did not gain much ice this last cold snap.   Going to melt every day for the next 15 days except 1 according to the forecast,   I would get those wheel houses off this weekend.

Don

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

The chain is a mess now.   Water everywhere.    I personally did not think the ice was safe before this for big trucks.   We did not gain much ice this last cold snap.   Going to melt every day for the next 15 days except 1 according to the forecast,   I would get those wheel houses off this weekend.

Don

I'd mainly be worried about busting a tire through and getting stuck in those Hwy 22 accesses. 

well I took a tour around the chain this afternoon and there were some vehicles out on both sides. about 8 vehicles park on shore! on the horseshoe side. not many houses out. there where a few vehicles out on long but mainly in the bat by the acess no one out further with vehicles!!!!! 

8 hours ago, Tom Sawyer said:

Quite a few wheel houses on Cedar Island today....

There's still that city of nice houses off to the left when you head out of the 22 access. I'd imagine they'll be coming off shortly. 

Thinking about heading up there in the next week, gonna walk out though. Wondering if people are still catching em? I have several spots I wanna try..