• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe Ice reports

Horseshoe_Don

I was on long a week ago and had about 10 inches.  No trucks were driving out.  Any one been on it recently?  Wondering if it would have 14 by now with the cold snap.  That small blanket of snow might have been enough to slow ice making? 

For anyone looking for specific ice reports by GPS check out this app, actually a decent number of reports in our area lakes including horseshoe. I'm going to begin using it. It's called Ice Report, should be available on iPhone and Android. 

Right around 15inches on most of the Chain right now. They are driving full size trucks out now..... but as always, be careful when driving on the Chain.

• Thumbs Up 2

Was out all weekend.  Drilled a lot of holes on cedar and horseshoe, least amount of ice I found was 12 in and that was in the bay on the south side of horseshoe south of the small island.  Cats bit best in 38 fow on small red jigs stuffed with waxies for me. 

so far I have stuck to the lake portions of the chain, but am wondering if you can venture out by atv on any of the "river" lakes (koetter, zumwalles, Krays)?  

Edited by Whiskerbent

There are places you can drive an atv..... and there are places on the river that never quite freeze right. One spot I can think of right off hand is at the head of the 40ft hole on Krays lake. You will find very thin ice at the head of the hole, and just yds away there will be tons of ice.  Best advice, find someone who knows the system...or take it slow,  and wear a life jacket

Thanks Rick, i was hoping that at least a few of the areas would be decent to explore.  Looks like a life jacket, spud, hand auger and a lot of walking are in store to get to know the area.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with Rick.    I would not venture to any of the lakes with a current with a wheeler without knowing how the ice forms in these areas.   koetter, zumwalles, and Krays especially.   Plus the bridges or channels that connect them are usually not passable.

I have made it to the 2 cat holes in koetter but the entrance from cedar island is very dangerous.   You can get there from the winter access on cedar island.  about a 2-3 mile drive by wheeler.  (do not go near the bridge at the end of koetter

Don

Edited by Horseshoe_Don
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Personally I leave those areas alone until the lakes have quality ice.  Conditions can change quickly so it's good to plan for the worst and not push it.

Fishing can be so good in the lakes if you leave the box of where cats are supposed to be.  I've found they often move up shallow during the day.  When you find them there they are usually biters.  So I rarely see a need to fish those areas anymore. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for the info everyone. And Borch that is good to know too.  I try to spend 2-3 hours looking on cedar each trip, but It's a lot of water to break down , and having only been out hardwater cattin 6 times so far I still have a lot to learn.  Generally I spend a lot of my 3 hours losing confidence and then wind up at the meth hole to catch a few :grin:.  Putting in the work is what makes it so fun once it all comes together though!

• Thumbs Up 2

When the early morning bite fades in the holes look towards those shallower flats near the holes.  It usually takes some drilling bit the rewards can be big.

• Thumbs Up 1

As if there was any question...definitely be careful on those high current lakes.  I went through (walking) on Koetter tonight. Thankfully I only plunged one leg in to the hip and was able to scramble away.   Its a spot I have been a dozen times in the past few years.  I knew the ice got thinner in this area but was always passable and I followed a 4 wheeler or tank track and then a foot/sled path so I thought I would stay dry.  I was ON the path when I got wet.  Had picks around my neck and glad I did even if I didn't use them (happened SO fast).  The walk back to the car was more than a little nerve wracking.  Not sure I'll ever fish that spot again.  And in the future I wont be so trusting of other's tracks.  Spud on...

tg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

ick. glad I have the grandkids for a week. :) be careful out there guys. slip and fall now you get wet and sore. ;)

Are the catfish still biting decent out there? Usually make it up earlier in the year have not made it up yet this year but I'm looking to come up one of the next couple evenings. 

1 hour ago, trappingaddiction said:

Are the catfish still biting decent out there? Usually make it up earlier in the year have not made it up yet this year but I'm looking to come up one of the next couple evenings. 

Fish the deeper holes and you'll find some suspended cats. They seem to be cruising around about 28-32' under the ice. 

Did any one hear anything about a truck going in on the chain today?  Seen a pic on fishing MN face book page. 

I saw 3-4"loss of ice from Thursday night to Saturday on part of the chain away from current.  I would certainly treat conditions like early ice and check ice often

It was in the river mouth.   That is why you use the winter access.   These guys were not locals and probably did not know better.   NEVER DRIVE FROM THE SUMMER ACCESS TO HORSESHOE, EVER!!!

Don

16215949_10210143577764389_1151683952_n.jpg

This is the location the truck went through.   About 3" of ice where it went through.   I was there.   

Don

full-27930-52506-coolcats.jpg

Hope everyone is OK.  Thanks for the info Don.