• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe Ice reports

Horseshoe_Don

Any updates on ice? Hoping to make it out on New Year's Eve with a four wheeler and trailer to get our group out towards the meth hole.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Saw a couple 4 wheelers out that way yesturday as we drove by. 

Th ice is suitable for ATVs right now. There were at least 3 on Horseshoe in late afternoon yesterday. I'd say it's 5-6" of solid clear ice with 2-3" of cloudy, frozen slush on top.

• Thumbs Up 1

On December 29, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Horseshoe_Don said:

been driving mine on shoe for almost 2 weeks

Good enough ice to drive the wheeler to the meth hole or around that area?

drove right by it today.   The cats are really biting in the crappie hole.   Someone catch them all so I can start catching some crappies

Don

Edited by Horseshoe_Don
  • Thumbs Up 2

I love fishing for the cats!where is the crappie hole? Is that down the shoreline from the meth hole in that little bay? Ill gladly catch them all !

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

drove right by it today.   The cats are really biting in the crappie hole.   Someone catch them all so I can start catching some crappies

Don

Thanks Don! I'm not able to make it out to often so the info is appreciated. Have a good New Years!

I dont have a wheeler so i would have to walk out. Where is the best place to park so the walk isnt so bad? 

Heading out twards the Meth hole in the morning. Maybe I can take care of some of those Cats for ya!

I went last night for some cats. Bite was kinda lite,only caught 6 missed a few others. Marked tons of fish though. Hope you have better luck dogbowl!

• Thumbs Up 1

measured 10" yesterday.   brought a bucket of cats home for smoking.   Most active times were 10 am to noon and 4 to 6pm.

Best presentation was a small glow treble bait with pink gulp and 1/2 minnow.

Don

Thanks for the info Don. I'm sitting on the ice right now and haven't caught a thing. Bouncing holes from 20 to 31 feet. I'll keep at for a couple more hours. 

3 hours ago, DogBowl said:

Thanks for the info Don. I'm sitting on the ice right now and haven't caught a thing. Bouncing holes from 20 to 31 feet. I'll keep at for a couple more hours. 

Go deeper.   I am in 38 ft.    Do not jig much they usually do not like it.

Don

• Thumbs Up 1

Ended the day with only 2 cats and a pike. Never made it to deeper water. I'll try a little deeper next time. Thanks again for all the information on here. It really helps a guy like me that doesn't live close to the lake and only makes it out a couple of times a year. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I too dont live near the lake. Its about an hour drive for me. I try to go up there a couple times a year.  The depth for cats can change. I did really good on them last year around 22ft deep. It was later in the year so that might make a difference. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The cats start deep and go shallow as the winter goes on.   by march they are under 20 feet.   Right now I am finding the tornados in deep water, but that will change as time goes on.

Don

• Thumbs Up 2

Two rivers lake has 11" on the north end about 9" on the south end. Just off the point in front of the landing has open water. The crappie bite is the slowest I have ever seen it. I caught one all day Fished from 1:00PM-7:00PM

Saw the first idiot of the season.   Saw a full size truck driving on shoe(across the lake not just parking on the shore) this afternoon.   Its not worth dying for a fish.   Never feel sorry when people are that dumb.    I measured 9.5" on Sunday!!!!   Surprised he did not go through.

Don

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

Saw the first idiot of the season.   Saw a full size truck driving on shoe(across the lake not just parking on the shore) this afternoon.   Its not worth dying for a fish.   Never feel sorry when people are that dumb.    I measured 9.5" on Sunday!!!!   Surprised he did not go through.

Don

Always those people. Just don't get how people and that lazy or dumb. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Ive heard that cedar island is just as good or better than horseshoe for cats? I was just wondering if this was true? Wouldnt know where to go on the lake. I have only fished horseshoe on the chain. Would it be worth trying cedar next time im up there or should l stick to horseshoe? Thanks in advance! 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Plenty of cats around the island in the deeper holes.  Crappies too.

Long is another good option.

12" of ice on cedar island.  Still think it's crazy to be driving a truck with a 20 ft wheelhouse.

Don

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree Don.  My wife and I just moved to Avon, so this was my first time fishing "The Chain."  I fished cats on Cedar Saturday morning and drilled a lot of holes.  I found 12-14 inches of ice in many holes, but there where a couple with only 8-9".   I was out with my wheeler but there was definitely guys with trucks passing over those spots as well.  Not good.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's been a lot of driving on the Chain in the last week. I don't mean parking next to shore, I mean out in the middle of the lake, passing over spots with less that 9", little do they know.

• Thumbs Up 1

All it takes is for 1 truck to drive out then if he doesn't go through the ice more and more drive out because they think it's safe.

It's like a herd mentality you see one go and they just go go go go go. My wife it scratch my eyes out if I went on anything less than a foot.

• Thumbs Up 2