• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Calling season '16/17

Neighbor_guy

I think it might be time for calling season. I've got the itch. Been working the hand calls the last few days. The neighborhood dogs and cats fall for em almost every time. New batteries in the foxpro and the critter just in case. Got plenty of #3 buckshot for the 20ga and the rifle is ready to bark(as soon as muzzle deer is closed).

please stop and share your seasons ups and downs here. Otherwise I will try not to bore you all too bad with my pour calling and shooting. 

Good of luck and happy calling. 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I went out last Friday night. I called for 30 minutes at my dads nothing. I was going to hit a couple more spots but my wife said to get home. 

We did some roadside scouting in the Chippewa national forest on Sunday. Put on a pile of miles driving the forest roads with the fresh dusting of snow and never cut a track. Kinda disappointing, but my daughter wasn't really up for it. 

Season is still young. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Soon as muzzle loader is done I will be out I saw a coyote almost every sit I had deer hunting in one of my spots. Took a shot at one at 150 yards and was just a little high it is a shame I love when I can smack em with a slug.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seen some fox tracks where I was looking for birds yesterday so I might have to head out there after dark.

I'm hoping the snow they are forecasting shows up. Because then it's on for sure. 

Put new glass on the light weight .223 so I don't have to carry the heavy target weight gun around. Just not practical where I hunt to have a 300yard gun. A 150yard gun will do just fine. 

When you cary a shotgun and a rifle on almost every stand a few extra pounds can add up in a hurry. 

Good luck tonight moose

• Thumbs Up 1

Had a small window to play with yesterday with a break in the clouds. Unfortunately I spent most of it in a meeting. By the time I got home and got things ready to go the window closed and the cloud bank came back in. Depending on the wind and clouds the goose and I hope to give it ago this evening. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Made two public land sets last night. Wanted to save my private land spots for when I had some company along. 

So calling over frozen water and cat tails. Saw two sets of fox tracks on one spot and a set of coyote tracks in the other. 

No response in either case :/ but it was nice to have the winter whites on and the shotgun loaded with buckshot. Used a mouth call in both cases as I didn't want to mess with the e-caller yet. Just hit and run. 

• 4 weeks later...

Have not had any luck so far but still trying

It figures the lead up to this full moon is cloudy and can be. Hard to hunt them at night if it's clouded up. :(

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...

Who is hunting 

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

We are but waiting on abfresh snow to run the hounds been a tough season so far with the elements, but maybe with the next snowfall we put some on the ground!

I am going out tonight 

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a few times during that 30 below weather. Saw nothing but thousands of wolf tracks. That night while we sat on the hunting shack deck having a cigar a pack of coyotes we're yipping out by our trucks 400 yds away. They were probably tipped off by our generator though and couldn't get them to come in. I did see 2 moose 30yds in front of me going into one calling spot. That was cool.

Edited by PRO-V
  • Thumbs Up 2

That’s pretty awesome!

I’ve been keeping an eye out around the house but haven’t seen enough activity to coax me out in the temps we’ve been having.  We mainly have fox around the house, and only one good yote.  We had a young wolf do a lap around the house in the spring but haven’t seen him around since.  I know I couldn’t shoot him but I’d sit out just to see him if he started showing up again.

Mainly turkey tracks as of late.

On 1/19/2018 at 11:23 PM, Wanderer said:

That’s pretty awesome!

I’ve been keeping an eye out around the house but haven’t seen enough activity to coax me out in the temps we’ve been having.  We mainly have fox around the house, and only one good yote.  We had a young wolf do a lap around the house in the spring but haven’t seen him around since.  I know I couldn’t shoot him but I’d sit out just to see him if he started showing up again.

Mainly turkey tracks as of late.

It’s almost turkey season