• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

BrianF

For the first time, I've been marking massive pods of spiny water fleas on my sonar.  I presume others are seeing them too.

Wondering...how are these nasty invasives changing the fishery on the lake? Anyone have any early observations as to how the native fish population is interacting with these massive pods of spiny zooplankton? 

Brian

Cliff Wagenbach

What part of the lake are you seeing them on?

I found a few on my lead core line this fall when I was trolling one day. Have not noticed any large pods of them in Big Bay though.

Cliff

Captain Acorn

I had plenty on my line at the end of the summer trolling lead on big bay outside of everts and on the very east end.

OhioVike

I had them on my line trolling in Frazer Bay this past week. Never seen them on sonar. I am not sure what they would look like.  

BrianF

Cliff, the largest concentrations I've seen have been in Frazier.  On sonar, they look like big clouds that seem to go on and on.  We know they're spiny fleas because we bring them up on our gear when we fish through these big clouds.  I'll try to capture and post a sonar screen shot of them sometime. 

Edited by BrianF

Cliff Wagenbach

Brian,

That certainly can not be a good thing for Vermilion!

I have not seen it that bad on Big Bay yet.

Cliff

BrianF

Cliff or others, have you ever seen spiny water fleas in the stomachs of perch or other fish you cleaned from Lake V?  Curious if the native fish population has learned to eat these invasive.