• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who is jacked up

monstermoose78

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Duck season is coming up quick!! What are you all seeing for numbers? I am seeing good numbers of ducks around and lots of geese!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Who is jacked up?

Pick me!

Still have to fine tune my little boat blind situation but I'm basically ready to roll.  The ducks and geese have more or less dispersed across the countryside ponds and sloughs.  When I see them on a body of water I see LOTS of them.  They seem pretty socialized now. We'll see how that changes after the opening bell rings!

My wife flushed 3 out from under the pontoon today. :grin:

• Thumbs Up 1

I am seeing lots of ducks flying in the mornings and the seem to around the wild rice ponds! This weekend I am thinking of going dove hunting to see how Finn does 

Finn and I are going to try kill some sky carp tonight!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well we scouted and we found couple spots for bright and early! This wind made the 3 doves a saw fly like fighter jets!! Finn was ok with the shotgun going off but not so happy with bad shooting dad

Got my nephew tonight and Finn is ready!! It time for some wood ducks to die

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just winding back down for the morning after sending my oldest hunting buddy off with his son, out on the river.

We scouted a couple areas last night with the duck boat so he could get familiar with them, then back to the house to load up.  We found out the water intake on the outboard must have gotten clogged with some junk.  We tried clearing it last night but no dice.  They're paddling now.

It's all part of the adventure and teaching the next generation how to improvise, overcome, and adapt!  I hope he gets a few shots fired in the process.

Well, the breakfast dishes are cleaned and I see the bottom of my coffee cup, so it must be time for that post breakfast nap. :P

• Thumbs Up 3

Well we saw a few ducks but for first timer woodies are quick to pass by. Had pair land and they spotted him and took off as he was trying to draw a bead. A merk landed infront of him and bang. I got it yep he did. 

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Congrats on the bird and Finns retrieve!

My buddy's son picked off a young drake woodie.  The kind of duck you hope falls into your lap on youth day for a 10 year old.  He had other opportunities but those all turned into learning moments!

I helped him breast the bird and then cooked it up as an hors d'oeurve to dinner.  

He wants to come back and do it again. :cool:

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 4

That is great to hear @Wanderer !! I am now searching on here looking for a youth stock for my 870 12 gauge. I remember Gordie gave someone one but can't find the post. My nephew is now asking for shotgun for his birthday made a tear come my eye.

• Thumbs Up 1

On my walk around the lot today I noted 5-bluewings in one pond and 2-mallards, a hooded, and a fat lonely goose in the other  

The cold weather up north will get things bunched up, 34deg forecasted for Bastic Bay LOW tomorrow morning. 41-deg today. 

Soon....

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am JACKED UP, we leave for North Dakota tonight, scout all day tomorrow and blast:Bang: first thing saturday morning.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope this weekend is better than last!!  I know there is a  lot of ducks around but they have so many places to hide.

Well I got a wood duck with my first shot and missed 2 big ole Canadian geese with all 3 shells. 

IMG_0628.JPG

11.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

Well the first blast of cold weather!! Let's hope some ducks come with it

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

To all you duck hunter it is a fun time to watch all the ducks coming through. Golden eye bluebills ringnecks buffleheads mallards o my get the cameras out

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw teal for the first time this morning.  I've had 8 drake mergs hanging around the house for at least a week.  Ringnecks have taken their place for about the past week.  The goldeneyes came and went pretty quick.

I heard snows last night.  Other guys reported the same this morning.  One person reported a flock of Ross' geese last night.  Too bad they don't show a hint of setting down around these parts.

Ive heard woodies but can't say I've actually seen one.  And my wood duck house appears to still be empty.  There was a No Vacancy sign on it by this time last year.

In all, I'm seeing the usual suspects but I have to say the numbers are less than last year.  I hope that's just due to there being more open water all around than last year.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/29/2017 at 8:57 PM, Wanderer said:

Ive heard woodies but can't say I've actually seen one.  And my wood duck house appears to still be empty.  There was a No Vacancy sign on it by this time last year.

The sign is out now.  Pretty mature looking pair.  I'd be surprised if it was the same pair as last year but they're behaving the same way.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

Well the duck numbers seem to be ok not the numbers I was seeing last year. There seems to be more geese, Sandhill cranes, and swans. Its all good Finn and I will try our best. My nephew is ready for youth day.

• 3 weeks later...

Youth day is Weeks away !!! 

• 3 weeks later...

Well my nephew was so excited to go but his wonderful dad is mad at my wife, so he is not allowed to go hunting with me on youth waterfowl day. I wish his dad would have just told me, because I had the truck loaded up last night.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the big day for duck hunters!! May you all get up early and find your spot filled with ducks.

Guest Yellowstone

Thanks. Had a good opener. Fun and got some wood ducks. Shot at some mallards passing through and had some geese come in hard on our decoys Sunday afternoon but we had just motored into our spot and didn't get the blind down before they flared off. Hope you had fun.

duck opener.jpg

PS, He likes that blue sweatshirt but I keep telling him to tuck that hood inside his camo. Ha.

That is great to see!! got to love the wood ducks. Looks like you made a duck hunter!!

• 10 months later...

Alright duck hunters who is itching to blast at some ducks ? Finn and I are ready and I am excited to see how he does on his third season of duck hunting.

Not a duck hunter.  Curious what the resident population looks like by you?

I have not seen a ton of ducks in my area of Morrison Cty.

4 hours ago, ANYFISH2 said:

Not a duck hunter.  Curious what the resident population looks like by you?

I have not seen a ton of ducks in my area of Morrison Cty.

Not seeing much lately, but earlier I saw lots of baby ducks and now nothing. The babies should be flying around soon. I will keep my eyes open, but Sherburne county road 3 is closed from county road 5 to county road 1. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Seen a hen wood duck with 7 little babies on my walk with Finn 

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven’t seen squat.  Very little waterfowl activity this summer.  I’m in the same neck of the woods as Anyfish2, and others around here have reported similar observations. ?

About the best news I have going is that I might be able to squeeze in a 4 day trip for opener - somewhere - north of home.  Not being secretive, just haven’t committed to an area yet.  The silver lining is we can load the kayaks and dekes in the toy hauler fish house and hit the road.  Will probably toss in a little fishing gear too.  Just go get lost somewhere. ?️

• Thumbs Up 1