• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog Kennel Floor

MattL

What does everyone like for a base under an exterior dog kennel?  I've priced up concrete, pavers, lumber, composite decking, and snap together kennel mats so far and they are all within about a few hundred dollars of each other. Just wondering what is best for the dog or if it really matters. I've always lived out in the country before this so I've never had a dog in a kennel. I've already identified a few pros and cons for each but I'm looking for other opinions. 

Right now her kennel is in the garage and she has an accident or two on the floor every day because I'm gone and my nieces and nephews don't always come to let her out because they're too busy playing Pokemon or whatever kids do now days. 

can you make it an indoor/outdoor kennel run?

I have concrete pad outside that has 5 x 20 kennel with a k9 kondo dog door into the garage with another kennel run under a work bench with a dog house. my dogs go in and out and accidents arent an issue just need to clean them up outside.

with the concrete sloped fluids drain away, and it easy to clean up with a hose and soap occasionally. my only complaint is dog hair and other fun stuff accumulates along the edges near grass and landscape rock and even the garage which can be unpleasant. I would think with any other surface it would be just as bad if not worse. 

I like the longevity of concrete over the others and its easy on my dogs feet and comfortable for them to lay on in any weather conditions.  Its also on the east side so the pad itself gets plenty of sun in the winter mornings to help keep things melted and shady in the afternoon and evenings in the summer. 

Edited by rundrave

I was sort of leaning towards concrete just because it will last forever and be easiest to clean. My only concerns were the cold concrete in the winter and being a little tougher on the dogs joints...if that will even make a difference?  I wasn't really thinking about garage access, but that would be a good idea. I have a 3rd stall that I could add a doggy door into and have an area she can stay warm in the winter. That would require me to put the kennel in a different spot than I was planning but it should work. 

I have 2 GSP's and the cold concrete doesnt bother them at all. I try to shovel all the snow from the outdoor kennel run when I clear the driveway and even when I don't they do fine. Their paws see more abuse hunting late season roosters on ice and snow than they do on a cold concrete kennel floor. Come late winter their pads are pretty tough after a season of hunting and the cold doesnt bother them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided against concrete since I don't really plan to stay in this house long term. I ended up building a base with treated 2x6s and composite decking. I looked into manufactured dog houses and the quality seemed pretty poor so I built one. Its not as pretty as the store bought houses, but should hold up better. Its 36"x48" with a partition to make a sleeping area about 30"x36" for the colder days. If this isn't sufficient I will relocate the whole works to a different spot in the yard that I can tie it into the heated garage. 

IMG_20160814_171745109.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Looks great Matt 

Either her first day outside went really well or she's just tuckered out from barking all day... This is how I found her when I got home...

IMG_20160815_182533.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/2/2016 at 7:44 PM, MattL said:

What does everyone like for a base under an exterior dog kennel?  I've priced up concrete, pavers, lumber, composite decking, and snap together kennel mats so far and they are all within about a few hundred dollars of each other. Just wondering what is best for the dog or if it really matters. I've always lived out in the country before this so I've never had a dog in a kennel. I've already identified a few pros and cons for each but I'm looking for other opinions. 

Right now her kennel is in the garage and she has an accident or two on the floor every day because I'm gone and my nieces and nephews don't always come to let her out because they're too busy playing Pokemon or whatever kids do now days. 

Concrete with a 2' to 4' border of #4 stone around it. Clean it with a bleach solution every month or so, weather permitting. After you have washed the bleach away & it is dry, treat the stones with lime or borax. Treating the stones with salt eliminates fleas.