• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello, I will be at a friends cabin this coming weekend on eagle lake and am looking for a few tips or walleyes. The owner of the cabin doesn't fish much so he's not a lot of help. I read up on eagle and see that its a very clean lake with good numbers of walleye according to the last dnr netting. I live in central mn and mainly fish walleyes here. I am used to fishing dirty water and tend to struggle when i fish a cleaner lake. can anyone give me any hints on tactics and depths for current conditions on eagle? also i thought i would probably venture to a different lake in the area if i had to. i am set up with leadcore, jigs, rigs, cranks, etc.  Thanks to anyone for a tip or hint!

thanks

Pulling cranks at night on Ottertail or West Battle lake has been decent. Fishing the edges of breaklines in 8-12 feet has been the best. Quite a few boats out on Ottertail Friday night pulling cranks.

Eagle is very clean.  One of the best.  Did some scuba diving there in past years and you  can see pretty good in the deepest part of the lake.  Morning and evening will be best bets.  I've had best luck along the South and East shores.  Small point over by the access can be a good spot.  I would try live bait rigs in the AM and cranks in PM.  Have not been there fishing for a few years but the lake has a reputation for quality, not quantity.

Hey thanks for the insight guy! Is Ben's bait pretty good for updates reports? I will post if I have any luck this weekend. Thanks again

Ben's bait has pretty basic reports. You can look at the Outdoor News website for a weekly fishing report from Ben's Bait that they update every Thursday.

Made it to otter tail last night for a couple hours after dark caught 6 fish few small and few nice eaters, put them all back. Pulled cranks in 6-9 fow on top of a couple of bars. Went out this morning had one decent walleye and bunch of dink perch on cranks. Tried spinners from 15-30 fow with no success. Hopefully get out tonight yet.

Well I will call it a successful weekend. Did well on otter tail each time I went out. Caught a lot of small fish but did also catch plenty of eaters, caught a few 19-20 in fish which were the biggest for me. I did my best during light hours just after sunrise and before sunset, things seemed to slow down when the sun went down. Also pulled some leadcore on eagle and picked up a couple nice walleyes middle of the day today. There was some kind of fish jumping all over on otter tail, never did get a good look at any always saw them from a distance does anyone know what kind of fish they were? They were big long fish and would jump straight up like a torpedo. Anyway, thanks for the tips guys it was fun!

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:51 PM, kemp13 said:

There was some kind of fish jumping all over on otter tail, never did get a good look at any always saw them from a distance does anyone know what kind of fish they were? They were big long fish and would jump straight up like a torpedo.

I had the same thing happen to me on Rush lake (upriver from Otter Tail) 2 weeks ago.  My son saw one first and it blew him away.  The size of the fish and the height of the jump had him speechless.  I had no idea what he saw.  The next morning, I was out with my daughter and, about 10 yards directly in front of the boat, I saw the same thing!  It was a sturgeon about 4 feet long and it flew straight out of the water.  Awesome sight!  It's theorized that they do this for a couple of reasons... Either echo location to communicate with other sturgeon or as a mating ritual to impress the ladies.  It's always sex or money and I'm sure sturgeon aren't worried about cash.