• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What is a good bow for elk hunting?

otis32

Going bow hunting elk this fall, what is a good bow to buy for this. I have shot a bowtech for 10 years at whitetails and mule deer and liked it, I just want something newer and better.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

shoot ever bow on the market! I have a 2004 bowtech as well. after 2017 turkey season im upgrading. Going to see what are the new bows coming out at the ATA show. Xpedition bows are top notch! and prob what i will get!

• 4 months later...

A good bow for elk hunting is one that you can shoot well and hold at full draw for at least one minute. For a compound, you should be pulling more than 55 lbs. After that its pretty much about what bow fits you best and feels the best. Elk can be shot at 20yds or out to 60 with the right setup and lots of practice. 

There is plenty on the horizon for newer and better. All of the bow companies are revealing their newest offerings. Check out your loacl bow shop and try as many as you can. 

• 2 weeks later...

Spot on info above. Pair a well tuned bow with an arrow between 400-500 grains total weight (not less) and a good fixed blade broadhead and you'll be set.

Ignore those who suggest you shoot whatever works for whitetail- everything on an elk is thicker, bigger, tougher...