• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sunset Lodge

6.20.16 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

What a week we had up at the Angle! The weather has gone from one extreme to the next. A few days of sunshine mixed with days of rain, and some heavy rainfall at that! Aside from the up and down weather conditions, we are still catching fish. Lots of limits being taken and a few larger fish being caught as well. Early in the week the fishing was slower due to a mayfly hatch, but has steadily improved over the last few days. 

On the Minnesota side, gold spinners with bottom bouncers and crawlers have been turning fish near Four Blocks, Little Oak, and Crowduck Islands. Work the flats around these areas, as well as the reefs and rock piles in 18 to 26 feet for the best action. Crankbaits have been producing fish in these areas as well. The Flats have been giving up a lot of fish this week as well. Depths from 6 to 10 feet have been best. Orange, gold and pink have been solid colors.

On the Ontario side of the lake working the shorelines, points, and shallow reefs have been producing walleyes. Limits of "eater" fish as well as some over the 24" mark have been common. Jigging in depths of 20 to 25 feet with minnows and crawlers have been working best. Areas worth checking out are Deepwater Bay, Tug Channel, Monkey Rocks Reef, and the West side of Falcon Island. Smallmouth bass action has been lights out as well, casting small bucktails and crankbaits along rocky shorelines has been the ticket here. Muskie season started this week as well, and we've had several guests in camp trying their luck in landing one of these toothy critters! Casting baits in shallow bays, as well as rocky points have produced a few fish. Reports of fish ranging in size from 30" all the way to 45" have been slowly coming in. 

Cale Albers

---------------------------

This past week can be summed up as the week of storms and the mayfly hatch. It made fishing a little tougher but we still caught plenty of fish. The water temp is holding steady at that 64-66 degrees depending on where you are on the lake.

On the Minnesota side, pulling spinners in the mud was the way to go. 12-16 feet seemed to be the best depth. The Flats bite was strong at the beginning of the week but has slowed down a little bit now. Crowducks in 11-13 feet and Little Oak on the sandbar would be a good choice this upcoming week. Hammered gold was once again the best color.

On the Ontario side, we fished all mud this past week. Fish are scattered throughout the mud and pulling spinners seemed to be the best method in 24-28 feet. Jigging anywhere there was current also seemed to be effective. Gold and chartreuse were the best colors this week. Smallmouth are still up in the shallows and you can catch quite a few of them in a day throwing shallow crankbaits, spinnerbaits or tube baits. Musky season is now open and there are a few being caught already. Fishing bays is the best choice but there are a few fish on the post spawn rock spots.

Forrest Huset

Sunset Lodge

Dave Ansell went trout fishing with Bruce and Bon Bon.jpg

Dave Edberg.jpg

IMG_5266.JPG

Ronnie Davidson, co-owner of Sunset Lodge, and son Corey Davidson reeling 'em in!.jpg

The Dave Ansell Group went trout fishing with guides, Bruce and Scott Baumgartner! (1).JPG

The Dave Ansell Group went trout fishing with guides, Bruce and Scott Baumgartner! (2).JPG

The Dave Ansell Group went trout fishing with guides, Bruce and Scott Baumgartner! (3).JPG

The Dave Ansell Group went trout fishing with guides, Bruce and Scott Baumgartner! (4).JPG

The Dave Ansell Group went trout fishing with guides, Bruce and Scott Baumgartner! (5).JPG

The Dave Ansell Group went trout fishing with guides, Bruce and Scott Baumgartner! (6).JPG

The Dave Ansell Group went trout fishing with guides, Bruce and Scott Baumgartner! (7).JPG

The Dave Ansell Group went trout fishing with guides, Bruce and Scott Baumgartner! (8).JPG

The Dave Ansell Group went trout fishing with guides, Bruce and Scott Baumgartner! (9).JPG

The Dave Ansell Group went trout fishing with guides, Bruce and Scott Baumgartner! (10).JPG

Zach Ansell_Dave Ansell Group (1).jpg

Zach Ansell_Dave Ansell Group (2).JPG

Zach Ansell_Dave Ansell Group (3).JPG

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Yetzer2468
      By Yetzer2468
      Hey guys! First post so excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong spot. 

I just moved to Elk River, MN and am feening for some fish. I have no idea where to go first but do any of you know any decent spots to get some Crappie or Walleye within a 45 min drive from Elk River? Any spots are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!!!! 
    • smalljaw
      By smalljaw
      Finally, a rain free day on Rainy Lake.

• smalljaw
    • Topwaterordie
      By Topwaterordie
      Anyone got any place that they would like to share with me to catch walleyes from shore. That is good anytime of the season.
      Preferably public land. I've got bad hips and cant be lifting my canoe any longer, so Im stuck to fishing on the shore. If you have
      any ideas of places let me know. Id be grateful for the advice.

Minnesota or North Dakota advise welcome.

Oh, Ill be fishing at night mostly. Ill be using live bait, Chubs and leeches.

Thanks!
    • Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      The sweltering heat, high humidity values, and intermittent thunderstorms have certainly provided some challenges for anglers but even as we enter the dogdays of summer the fish are still on the chow!
      As we all know there is never any shortage of action when one sets out to target Bass. Smallmouth Bass can be found along the deep weed lines, rocks, and sunken humps. Try using a Drop-Shot Rig tipped with a Leech. Largemouth on the other hand can be found working the weeds inside and outside the lines using Tubes, Spinner Baits, and Carolina Rigs. In the early morning, try working docks, shoreline structure and swimming platforms next to sharp drop-offs.
      Of course, usually by this time of year we have shifted our focus to chasing Large Slab Crappies. The weed beds are holding large numbers of both Crappies and Sunfish. Pay especially close attention to the cabbage along deeper drop-offs. Slip-Bobbers using live bait or plastics, Small Swim Baits, Spinners, Beetle Spins are all working well, these buggers have been hungry!!
      The Walleye bite is also one that has yet to relinquish to the torrid, humid conditions. A lot of techniques have still been producing good numbers of fish. Anything from pulling Spinners in the weeds, Lindy Rigs, Slip-Bobbers, jigs tipped with Leeches, Crawlers or Chubs… Cranks, Shiver Minnows and the list goes on!! It really is Dealer’s Choice it seems, trolling Cranks on the mid-lake flats has been best toward the evening hours until after dark, Spinners have been enticing them during the mid-day, as well as jigging raps for the walleye found out over the deep structure.
      -Cheers!
      Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525

• Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      The sweltering heat, high humidity values, and intermittent thunderstorms have certainly provided some challenges for anglers but even as we enter the dogdays of summer the fish are still on the chow!
      As we all know there is never any shortage of action when one sets out to target Bass. Smallmouth Bass can be found along the deep weed lines, rocks, and sunken humps. Try using a Drop-Shot Rig tipped with a Leech. Largemouth on the other hand can be found working the weeds inside and outside the lines using Tubes, Spinner Baits, and Carolina Rigs. In the early morning, try working docks, shoreline structure and swimming platforms next to sharp drop-offs.
      Of course, usually by this time of year we have shifted our focus to chasing Large Slab Crappies. The weed beds are holding large numbers of both Crappies and Sunfish. Pay especially close attention to the cabbage along deeper drop-offs. Slip-Bobbers using live bait or plastics, Small Swim Baits, Spinners, Beetle Spins are all working well, these buggers have been hungry!!
      The Walleye bite is also one that has yet to relinquish to the torrid, humid conditions. A lot of techniques have still been producing good numbers of fish. Anything from pulling Spinners in the weeds, Lindy Rigs, Slip-Bobbers, jigs tipped with Leeches, Crawlers or Chubs… Cranks, Shiver Minnows and the list goes on!! It really is Dealer’s Choice it seems, trolling Cranks on the mid-lake flats has been best toward the evening hours until after dark, Spinners have been enticing them during the mid-day, as well as jigging raps for the walleye found out over the deep structure.
      -Cheers!
      Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525

• cg2
      By cg2
      Anyone know of lakes with decent shore fishing near Mankato? I've gone to North Shore on Madison Lake but can't find any shore on other lakes near by. Any suggestions?
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Up here in the Northwest Angle lines are tight and fish are biting! Water temps are warmer in the shallows at 50-52 degrees to upper 40’s in the main lake.

Recent weather was not great but the fishing was. Some of the best action has been within a few miles of the lodge. Walleyes have been found anywhere from 3 to 30ft. 22-30ft with a jig and minnow is best during daylight hours. 

Multiple trophy walleye were caught this week including a couple 28’s and one 31 inch.  The bite off of the dock late evening is really heating up and will produce limits.

Come up soon to take advantage of great spring fishing! 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      We're still OPEN & fishing up at the NW Angle!
      Fishing on the Minnesota side continues to be best early morning and from sundown to dusk. Work deeper edges of the break line in the morning and afternoon, moving up to the flats and points for an evening flurry. With low pressure coming for the weekend expect fishing to be excellent.
      On the Ontario side, Crappie action was really good this past weekend in 30+ feet of water. Lots of fish over 14."
      Lake conditions have drastically improved as water making slush has receded below the ice or has frozen over in most areas. Caution should be used in areas of high current or between islands. 
      Hard water fishing ends April 15th!
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• JBMasterAngler
      Trout/Wabana were really nice lakes, the one and only time I got to fish them 2 years ago. Would love to make it back up there some day. Too many places, too little time!
    • Rick
      Thank you for the report.
    • Wanderer
      I’ve never just canoed the river so I guess I can’t really debate that time estimate.  It’s always been a float/fish trip but casting only, not stopping to really work a deeper hole or anything.   I used to live on the river along that stretch.  About midway between Isanti and St. Francis.
    • Kettle
      Cambridge to St Francis is definitely a long float, Isanti to St Francis not fishing just canoeing takes me about 5-6 hours. If your going solo check out the central park in Andover. You can float solo for about 3 hours and you end up within a 5 minute walk of your vehicle since it twists and turns so much in that stretch. I have not caught many walleye that far south but definitely will get a bass or two 
    • Tominator692
      My soft water season ended Saturday. Landed the boat and need to give it some TLC. I fished everyday in October and boated 304 walleye. Primarily fished my 5 favorite fall spots. Strictly used a jig/minnow.  Lots of nice stuff with a fair amount of smaller fish. To be clear I am a catch and release guy. I probably kept 8 fish. This is a picture of a nice one from my last day out..
    • Wanderer
      We got one gadwall yesterday.  Today duck motivation is low.  Clear sky and zero wind right now.  Going back to bed for a couple hours and then off looking for roosters or grouse.  Whatever works.
    • JerkinLips
      Fished Thursday-Saturday this week and caught only 12 walleyes in 2½ days, half as many as I caught two weeks ago.  Fishing was quite slow for me, and the walleyes were biting very light.  At least this week there were some decent meal size fish as only 2 were dinks along with 3 slot fish.  Caught another 26" walleye pictured, and this one weighed 5#-11oz, 1oz more than the one I caught two weeks ago.  Maybe it was the same fish and added another ounce.  Weather was nice today and it brought out a lot of boats as shown in the second photo.  Fishing wasn't good enough to deal with this crowd so I quit early.  Good luck fishing, and enjoy the fall.
    • monstermoose78
      Had one of those days where I swear those ducks had bullet proof vests on!! Finn laid down after a bit and well my dad sucks!!
    • Wanderer
      Floating those sections of the Rum will take you much longer than you’ll originally think it will.  Be aware of that when you plan your trip.  I’m assuming the water is high right now as most rivers in MN are, so it could go a little quicker.   For example, Isanti to St. Francis will be like 10 hours without slowing down much to fish.  Figure about 1 river mile per hour to be a steady pace for a fishing trip.
    • gunner55
      🤔 He wanted to teach Toto how to catch fish too?