• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

SkunkedAgain

I never was able to get out walleye fishing over Memorial Day weekend, but saw a lot more boats than usual.

mulefarm

Excellent idea!

Wakemup

Also, please excuse the obvious spelling errors and formatting issues- I posted this thread on my phone, which wasn't wanting to cooperate.

StillFishin'

Yes, good idea.  

Latest  from  Wolf bay is that my  buddy  manages to catch a 22" or so eye every night but only one.  Tonight he lost it!  It was not a good night for fishing as it was cold . 

• Thumbs Up 1

TrueNorth

I used to catch a few early season eyes way back in Norwegian and Spring Bay.  Anyone have insight on larger pan fish on the west end?  We don't have the motor to go east but try to do a fish fry one evening during vacation.  

Thank you!

Edited by TrueNorth

Wakemup

Usually I've found some decent panfish in black bay this time of year but I haven't gone after crappies or large sunnies yet.

bassbouncer

Got 4 after work last night. (2) 16", and 18-1/4, and a 20". All west end. Leech and a rig. Missed a few also.

OhioVike

The fishing has been great.  Primarily 14'-18' feet, sometimes 20'. Using a rig and minnows,  we have found them all over the place. Mud, rocks, weeds.  It seems to me the critical factor has been light. Transition periods, dawn, dusk, cloudy to sunny and sunny to cloudy seem to the trigger for more active fish.  Each of my guests left the weekend with there limit of nice keepers.

Deet

Can anyone post the water temps they're seeing lately?

Wakemup

I saw anywhere from 59 to as high as 64 in some of the shallow bays on Monday with the sun.

Smallies were going decent for me this past weekend. Nothing huge but quite a few good numbers of fish. They seemed to be fairly scattered. My biggest was 17" and lots in the 14-16 range.

No walleyes to report for me yet, I'll try again this coming weekend.

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

SkunkedAgain

Black Bay was 64.5 degrees on Monday morning when I drove home. Using her "Frozen" kiddie pole, my 4 1/2 year old daughter hauled in a crappie and six nice panfish in the span of 15 minutes from our dock. There are lots of great panfish spots litered all over this lake. We are truly spoiled.

I didn't have luck with the smallmouth as I usually do this time of year from my dock, but I'll try again this weekend. I hooked into some nice northerns on the windward side of bays, just around turns and points. They were gobbling up my topwaters while looking for lunch.

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 2

CigarGuy

Picked up 1/2 dozen crappies and sunfish each night over the long wknd in Black Bay.  No walleyes, usually this time of year I catch a few in the bay and also the channel-only caught 1 slot fish all wknd. 

• Thumbs Up 1

OhioVike

Are there any projected dates for the Mayfly hatch?

Cliff Wagenbach
7 hours ago, OhioVike said:

Are there any projected dates for the Mayfly hatch?

The hatch of the big Hex mayflies is usually between the last week of June and the first week of July.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Wakemup

Headed up to Vermilion tonight, will post a report hopefully tomorrow. Good luck this weekend to all... Please wave if you see a guy in a green ranger on the West End hopelessly looking for walleyes this weekend :)

delcecchi

Weather is sort of ugly.   Hope it moves on since camping is next, tents in quetico.

bassbouncer

Thursday evening caught 9 kept 3 decent eyes. Weather tonight is awful maybe tomorrow will be better??

• Thumbs Up 1

OhioVike

I have heard several comments about Niles Bay point being hot. I made a short trip and marked only a couple of fish and found some aggressive perch that were a nuisance.  Has anybody worked this area?

Wakemup

I fished a few points in Niles but no walleyes for me on a Jig and minnow or a lindy rig.

I am seeing a few more reports where leeches have been successful and may give that a shot. I am planning on timing on a lighted bobber and fish off the dock at the cabin this evening.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wakemup

Got out this afternoon for a few hours and the fishing was decent despite the cool weather. Brought in a dozen largies and half a dozen pike with one pike over 30". Biggest bass was just over 17". No smallies to speak of.

Water temps between 57-59, all fish caught on a spinner bait. Will do some walleye fishing on a slip bobber this evening.

image.jpeg

bassbouncer
On June 3, 2016 at 10:45 PM, bassbouncer said:

Thursday evening caught 9 kept 3 decent eyes. Weather tonight is awful maybe tomorrow will be better??

Saturday evening caught 26", 22" 17.5", 12" west end with a buddy. Continual cold fronts and unsettled weather are making it a challenge. 

Wakemup

Found a dozen smallies this morning on rocks adjacent to deep water. The largies were in pencil reeds. Looking forward to heading up again next weekend. 

Water temps today ticked up a bit with the sun to 59-61.

Xplorer

Coming up Friday with my 13 year old for the annual "out of school" trip.  He loves casting for bass so that is what we will be doing.  Smallies or Largies, does not matter at all to him, tho we do get into some very good smallie fishing up on Rainy and Namakan on camping trips in July and August so largies are pretty fun for him.  He got 4 last year and that made his day!

Last year we fished the bays from Oak Narrows up to Wolf Bay lodge, had lunch, and fished our way back.  

This year I am thinking of doing the same, but starting at Norwegian Point and working up to the end of the bay, stopping and doing a shore lunch of some type somewhere (any suggestions, since Life of Riley has no restuarant?) and then fishing our way back the other side of the bay til his casting arm is tired:)

Or would Black Bay be a better choice?  

Plan on putting in at either Wakemup campground landing for Norwegian bay, or next to the Landing for Black bay.

Any suggesttions/advice on these options is appreciated!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• jtnjenn
      By jtnjenn
      What are ice depths in the metro right now?
    • Hatto018
      By Hatto018
      So the weeks betwixt point and click and smoke pole deer hunting always have my ire up to get that last Musky Missile into my hands.  Gotta scrub that slime into my glove until next year.  Going to give the Mississippi below Falls a try here in a few hours.   Might find it frozen, might find a spot to get in.   I'll bring my boat because I'm an optimist,  but I'll bet the kayak is where i end up.   
      Wish me luck, otherwise I have a scheme on my mind for my favorite frozen central mn musky lake. 

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are holding in the low 50's but expect them to continue to drop this week with temperatures in the high 30's and even snow in the forecast.

Both Minnesota and Canadian walleye fishing are on fire with only a jig and shiner or minnow needed. Look for Walleye in areas of current, pinch points between islands or rocky bays. Fish are currently shiner dependent in 17-25 feet.

Crappies are being found away from the rocks suspended over mud bottoms in 24-28 feet.

Perch can be found on deeper reefs topping out at 28 feet. 

Muskie trolling is off to a great start and will only continue to get better as the water temperature reaches into the high 40's. 

We will be closing down for ice in October 22nd - we hope to see you before then for some late fall fantastic fishing!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Lake of the Woods water temps are steadily falling into the mid to low 50’s. This past week cold fronts and strong winds have fish schooling up and feeding heavily.

In Minnesota, look to rocky bays and adjacent reefs in 15-22ft. of water.  A jig and minnow is all that is needed to catch a limit in a short period of time. Bottle necks between islands in the NW Angle are also worth fishing in the evenings.

In Canada, the fishing has been excellent.  Crappie, walleye and perch are all schooling up and taking a jig and minnow.  With the water temperatures dropping, expect to see the muskie bite increase while trolling. 

We will be closing October 22nd for ice in! Contact us for availability for your fall fishing trip!

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin... Very strong walleye fishing continues with the jig bite picking up.  Charters finding limits of eater walleyes with big fish mixed in.  Crankbaits, spinners / crawlers and jigs with frozen shiners in main basin successful. 15-31 feet of water producing good numbers of walleyes across south shore with very good numbers in front of gap. Shiners showing up at mouth of Rainy River as well as up the Rainy River. 
      On the Rainy River... With shiners entering the river, eater walleyes showing up as well.  Anglers reporting success both jigging and pulling crankbaits.  Walleye activity will be increasing as shiner run continues.  

Up at the NW Angle... Strong numbers of walleyes being caught on mud flats and around Garden Island. 15 - 25' is a good start.  Spinners, crankbaits and jigging all producing.  Some nice jumbo perch mixed with walleyes.  Muskie activity picking up as water is cooling.  Next full moon, Sep 24.  Crappie anglers are producing big black slabs.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye action remains strong with spinners in mud bottomed areas near reefs using both minnows and crawlers. Fish can also be found in shallower water (15ft. or less) around Garden Island. Crankbaits seem to be the most effective at enticing larger fish. 
      Canadian walleye fishing has been fabulous this past week. The jig and minnow bite is on! Multiple boats ran out of bait and had just as much success switching to plastics. Bottom bouncing with crawlers remains effective in soft bottom areas as well.  Crappies continue to school up on deep water points. Hot windows of muskie bites have become shorter but still with good success.  Plenty of fish in the 4ft plus range and even a couple over 50!
      Water temps remain stable between 64-67 degrees. 
      See you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      9.4.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye fishing remains best with deep trolling minnow baits in 22-27 feet of water.  These same areas will provide action with a spinner and a minnow, however crawlers are still producing fish.  In the coming weeks, jig and minnow fishing will be the go to with fish stacking themselves on points and current areas. 

Canadian walleye action remains strong on bottom bouncer and spinner rigs with either a crawler or minnow.  Walleye are starting to school tighter making jig and minnow fishing very effective. Fall fishing is starting to heat up and we are seeing crappies schooled up on deep points.

Surface water temps are currently in the low 70’s throughout the day. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye fishing has been great using bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Anglers are being selective to fill limits with 16-18” fish as well as a few over 28 released. Most success has been in the mud, off of structure in 21-23 feet and 26-30 feet. The largest fish seem to come from South of Garden Island on crank-baits.

Canadian walleye are also most effectively targeted with bottom bouncers and spinners. Depth has not been as important as being at the bottom of a break line in the flat. Gold with chartreuse has been best as of late.  Musky activity has slowed from the prior weeks but expect it to ramp up with the full moon approaching. Perch have been schooled up on and around reefs topping out around 30 feet.

Water temps remain consistently in the low to mid 70’s. 

Remember - fall is the time for trophy fish up at the NW Angle!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Kettle
      Fished the SW corner today about 2 miles out. Lowest amount of ice I found was 10" and a few spots well over 20". Before anyone gets too excited I'm pretty sure these spots were where the ice push up on itself or below itself. Rough ice in general. Marked a lot of fish, tried everything and eventually got a few at dusk on a dead stick and a spoon. No big cracks but a few about half a foot and completely open. Nice to get out but was a long walk out and back.
    • leech~~
      PBJ samy with chips and a Coke?  😌
    • Lamont Gray
      Hi i was wondering how the ice and bite been on phalen just tips to where to head 2nd year ice fishing and I always wanted to try there don't want any ones secret  spots just the depths people been lucky on I want to learn to ice fish big lakes  Fishing_Prizes_2017.pdf
    • Team Bobberdown
      Well I wish you guys would do it after walleye closes. The last few years you guys have done it on the final weekend of walleye  so some people won't do it . Cats don't close so you can do it whenever you want. 
    • slammer
      Dakota lithium has a cool little box like that.  Comes with a lithium battery thats half the weight but a bit pricey at around $200
    • Mike89
      take it slow friend!!! if it's bad say help....
    • mikemac
      I found a little cooler on Sunday morning on the lake with some ones lunch inside. I will return the cooler if you can identify it. 
    • timjones
      Didn't get to swing the sledge on Saturday. Had a bum ankle that has kept me sidelined and was feeling pretty good on Friday so I got out and about shopping. May have over did it and suffered a little bit of a set back but it's pretty good today. Should be able to swing the hammer tomorrow.
    • Kelly Oman
      Open water right in front of launch on linwood. 2 guys went through this morning. Up to their waists in water. Just be careful walking out. Had 9 inches everywhere I drilled on the lake.
    • machinist24
      Been pretty snow for me. 3 pike last weekend. Tired catching gills on Friday one nice one a few small ones. Me and the girlfriend went out today put out tip ups she caught a nice 29”. Only fish we caught.