• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Wakemup

Nice fish Cigarguy, I didn't have the same luck. I found it to be a real tough bite the past few days. Even the pike were giving lazy follows on a few spots. I switched to slower moving presentations like jerk baits with long pauses and they still wouldn't eat all that much.

Managed to catch quite a few largies in slop bays on senkos and spinner baits.

Not sure when I'll get back out again, I seem to have a problem with my engine. It was bogging down on my yesterday and I limped back to the dock from across the bay. Time for a carb clean and new plugs I think :)

• Like 1

delcecchi

Carb?  What is that?  😀

delcecchi

Holy Cow, we just had a whole bunch of rain in not very long.   One weather station from just down the road says 2.5 inches in under two hours.   Two dumps of an inch plus in like 20 minutes each.  Water standing all over the yard.

Wakemup

Not good!! I already re-graveled my driveway once, hopefully I won't have to do it again.

delcecchi
Posted (edited)

supposedly more coming.😥

Lake up several inches in last few days. 

Edited by delcecchi

Darrell Larson

Last night 0130, the skies opened up but prior to that it was quite a light show, a lot of thunder and rain. I heard 4" plus in the Tower area, I can believe that, I leave my boat low on the lift and was making lunch looked out and my boat was floating away caught it just prior to it taking a trip without me. Water level in Pike Bay looks to be up 4-5 inches.  I live on a bottom of a ledge rock area water was running rapidly at the house, put in a drain tile on that side last year,  good idea of a friend of mine up here. All is good now. FYI for you all coming up for the weekend, skeeters are getting brave also.

• Like 1

CigarGuy

How much has the lake level gone up since Sunday on the west end? I'm a little nervous about my dock decking.  One of the neighbors down on Phillips Rd N had 12 loads of fill brought in and spread last wknd and heard most of it washed out.  

• Sad 1

delcecchi

We got over 5 inches of rain in last 24 hrs in Wakemup Village.   Lake is up maybe 3 or 4 inches in the last couple days.   My neighbor set the top of his dock 16 inches exactly above surface in June.   Now it is about 5.

I can swing by and take a look in the morning... if you would like.     even send a pic.    It was pretty calm today so you don't have to worry about waves, yet anyway.  

• Thanks 1

CigarGuy
11 hours ago, delcecchi said:

We got over 5 inches of rain in last 24 hrs in Wakemup Village.   Lake is up maybe 3 or 4 inches in the last couple days.   My neighbor set the top of his dock 16 inches exactly above surface in June.   Now it is about 5.

I can swing by and take a look in the morning... if you would like.     even send a pic.    It was pretty calm today so you don't have to worry about waves, yet anyway.                                                                         Thanks Del, that's a very nice offer.  My one Saturday a month to work is tomorrow, but I was able to switch it to another day. I'm going to head up tonight and secure things.  Thank you again!

delcecchi

Sounds good.

delcecchi

20180713_124921.thumb.jpg.fd18be8595e9406c0c797c53af362b8f.jpg20180713_124829.thumb.jpg.3ca79ab1324a0196a3be35c6e705083c.jpg20180713_124725.thumb.jpg.f6928a36d94df430bee387e72659d07d.jpgCheck it out.looksgood

• Like 1

CigarGuy

Just got up here. Road construction sucks.....four hour trip took almost 5 hours.  Thanks Del, back end of the boat was out of the water last weekend. Do you guys use zip ties to secure the dock boards, big rocks or ?...…any good ideas?

Just got up here. Road construction sucks.....four hour trip took almost 5 hours.  Thanks Del, back end of the boat was out of the water last weekend. Do you guys use zip ties to secure the dock boards, big rocks or ?...…any good ideas?

delcecchi
Posted (edited)

Saw one up Norwegian bay tonight with like 10 basketball size rocks.  

Never had to do anything with my old dock since height was adjustable so got no advice there.

Posted 3 pictures to be sure I got the right place.  Bits are (nearly) free

Edited by delcecchi

CigarGuy

Just got up here. Road construction sucks.....four hour trip took almost 5 hours.  Thanks Del, back end of the boat was out of the water last weekend. Do you guys use zip ties to secure the dock boards, big rocks or ?...…any good ideas?  This was supposed to have been posted last night.  A couple of ratchet straps and I'm golden. Molly the dog is helping me watch my bobber 😀 Two eagles and 5 loons, no fish!!

IMG_20180714_194721766_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

BrianF

CigarGuy, cool pic. Looks like a good time/place for a cigar. lol. As far as securing your dock sections, some folks use bailing wire.  That’s what I use. Heading down in a few minutes to secure mine before the next storm takes sections away. Man, the water is high! 

CigarGuy

Thanks Brian, the ratchet straps worked great.... quick, easy and secured it tight. I bought a bunch of big zip ties that it looks like I'll never use😀.

Pat McGraw

The guy I bought our place from had an 1/8" cable right down the center of the whole dock. I'll likely move towards a more invisible, section by section approach. However, the full length cable setup has been effective and not as intrusive as one may imagine. Really easy to fasten all the sections at once. May be able to see in the attached

IMG_2424.JPG

• Like 3

delcecchi

I think that's a great way to do it.  Probably only takes a minute to put it on or take it off. 

BigVwalters

Got on a pretty decent bite this weekend.   Lots of quality eating size fish 14-18" mostly,  a few bigger ones.  Fish were in main basin steep drop-offs in 20-30 feet.  Crawlers and leeches were working.  Weather was beautiful all weekend.  Can't wait to come back up in August!   

• Like 1

Wakemup

Big V, which bays were you primarily targeting? Glad you had a good trip!

BigVwalters

Wolf Bay/ Niles Bay area.  We were also on the water a bit before sunrise both days which I think helped find more active fish. 

• Like 1

SkunkedAgain

I'm hopefully going to get a rare chance to fish this coming weekend, having gotten a lot of chores done last weekend. Are crawlers/leeches the go-to right now on lindy's, targeting deep?

Cliff Wagenbach

Skunked,

Crawlers are my live bait of choice on Lindys right now but I have also been getting a few fish on pike suckers .

Have heard that leeches are also working in some spots.

Cliff

BigVwalters

Skunked I would start with crawlers. 

Bigfatbert

Skunkola ,  sounds like you like live bait , and so do I , and I know Cliff does , so I would say Cliff kinda summed it all up by mentioning all three live baits , If it was me , I would have all three aboard , as hour by hour the bite can go from crawlers to leeches to good sized minnows to even tiny minnows, and from one day to the next the walleyes preference can and usually does change on this very unpredictable body of water . Paying close attention to your screen also , as depth also can and usually does change on the Big V.... Don’t get hung up on Lindys as jigs fished with all of the above seem to have there times also , from vertical , to dragging..  If one method slows up ,usually just finding the correct combo usually gets em going again. To many people give up on a spot to prematurely and move on or give up totally when the going starts to get tougher . It does keep you busy by constantly changing up sometimes , but well worth the persistence . If there are two or three in your boat , you and your partners should be able to do the switch ups faster , thus lowering your down time on trying a different presentation , and putting those Vermillion golds in your livewell . In general it’s been pretty darn good out there , good luck to you , get em !!! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Water temps are consitently in the mid to high 70’s.
      Walleye in Minnesota can be caught on reefs with a jig and minnow. More productive methods currently are bottom bouncers and crank-baits in 24-28 feet of water.  Covering a lot of ground is key when the fish arent schooled together.  We have had many 40”+ Pike caught while trolling, reports of large Muskie also.
      Candian walleye are spread out as well, making bottom bouncing and deep cranks the ticket to success. Fish mud bottomed areas deeper than 25ft for best results. Many nice jumbo perch limits have been coming in recently. They are biting on a jig and fathead and are concentrated at 28-30ft.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are starting in the low 70’s in the morning, reaching mid to upper 70’s in the evening.

Minnesota walleye action can be hot running deep diving crank-baits straight, down rigging or lead core. Soft bottom areas can also be worked with spinners and a night crawler.  Fish have been favoring gold on bright days and orange, chartreus or pink in low light.  Many larger northern pike this last week in the boat via crank-baits just outside of rock reefs and points.

Canadian walleye fishing has been more productive away from reefs and points in soft bottomed areas. The best method is to pull a spinner to find concentrations along the bottom and switch to jigging to fill out limits.

Musky attitude in Canada varies day to day. Plenty of fish are still being caught in shallow weeds including a couple of 50+ giants this past week.  Fish are also being caught in more traditional mid-summer spots such as rock reefs and points.  The most productive baits this week were crane baits or other flat baits, buck tails and top waters. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, walleyes and pike have been found using crank-baits on the south side of Oak Island.  Walleye have also been caught pulling spinners in 26-30 feet using gold and green.

In Ontario, walleye have been very active using pink and orange jigs on the breaks of reefs or casting shallow crank-baits in 8-12 feet by rocky shoreline points.  A good mixed bag of smallmouth and pike have been found with the walleye as well.

Musky fishing has really picked up with lots of fish over 40+ inches.  Fishing sand and weedy bays near rock reefs have produced well using buck-tails, small crank-baits and top-water baits. 

Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are currently hovering in the mid 70’s.

Minnesota walleye action has been really good with bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Gold spinners with hints of chartreuse, orange or just hammered gold are favored.  Walleye and occasional large pike can be had trolling deep diving crank baits around shoreline breaks and reefs.

Canadian walleye fishing continues to excite anglers via jigs and minnows. Pink or white jigs tipped with shiners will put fish in the boat.  Night crawlers on spinners will produce fish in the mud deeper than 25 feet. 

Musky action has been all over the place, fish are still being found in sandy, weedy bays, rock points and reefs.  The nearing new moon should have fish on the prowl this week. 

Congratulations to our neighbor and local guide, Forrest Huset and his dad Sean on their victory at the Lake of the Woods Musky Bowl this weekend!

Another neighbor, Jerry Klema, landed a 29 1/2 inch trophy walleye last week!

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!
      In Minnesota, walleye have been found using green, gold and orange spinners in 24-30 ft.  Jigging in the morning on tops of the reef has been the most productive.
      In Ontario, walleye fishing has been very good jigging on top of reefs as well, with gold and orange being the hot colors.  Musky fishing has been heating up as muskies are moving to the reefs and windblown points.  Multiple muskies have been caught over 50 inches within the last week.
      Happy Independence Day!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, Walleye fishing has been good in 18-28ft pulling hammered gold and orange lindy rigs.  Jigging has also been very productive on top of the reefs before the Walleye move out deeper onto the flats.  Key areas have been Dawson Island, Little Oak and Shady Island.

In Ontario, Walleye have been found deeper in 22-30ft.  A gold or chartreuse jig with a fathead or frozen shiner have been producing well around Deepwater bay, West side of Falcon and Gardner Island.  Many fish over 24 inches including a few Northern Pike and Muskie.  

Good luck and keep your lines wet!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello, from Sunset Lodge!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. In Minnesota, high winds limited fishing areas but many of our guests were able to find the walleyes stacked up on the humps pulling spinners.  Gold and green crawler harnesses are working the best.

In Canada, working a slower presentation such as a lift and drag technique has been most effective.  Limits of walleye are being caught using gold and chartreus colors in 18-22 ft.  Key areas have been Deepwater Bay, Monkey Rocks and the west side of Falcon Island.  Smallmouth fishing has been heating up as well, using a jig and plastic on the rocks. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      In Minnesota, walleye fishing has been fantastic! Using a jig and minnow or a bobber rig, walleye can be had anywhere from 3-15 feet in the evening and 18-25 during the day. Pink and white, chartreuse or blue and white jigs have been the most productive.

Canadian walleye are being found a little deeper at 22-26 feet. Many nice fish were caught this last week, multiple 26-28 inch and a very nice 30 incher. A jig and frozen shiner is the go to, however a freshly dead fathead works equally as well.

Surface water temps are in the high 50’s at sunrise, reaching mid to upper 60’s by evening after this sunny Memorial day weekend!

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Cliff Wagenbach
      Use a good brand of MARINE silicone sealant. Most marinas will give you the right stuff! Cliff
    • Wanderer
      Yup, that’s one that’s as tough or tougher than lakers.  Keep at it!  I’ve fished 6 days this year em and boated 2.  Been fortunate enough to see some every time out though, so I’ll take that.   Glad to hear you’re trying it out. 😎
    • yoppdk
      I'm pretty sure there is a setting on your Hummer that lets you set where (voltage level) you want to get the "low battery" warning or dropout. At least mine does ... and I temporarily reset it once to keep it from dropping out each time I started the outboard. Of course I wouldn't advise that for a long-term fix as you might go to start the engine one time and get nothing but clicks. Is it possible that setting got changed at one time and maybe it's set too high?
    • chaffmj
      Well I got skunked on my first ever attempt to fish muskies. It was still a lot of fun and I will try it again!
    • Rick
      DNR urges people to use caution when operating farm equipment Exceptionally dry conditions in the northwest part of the state have contributed to several small fires over the past week. To prevent a possible wildfire, the Department of Natural Resources urges extreme caution when using farm equipment right now.  To reduce the chances of starting a wildfire when working in the field, follow these steps: Make sure machinery is well maintained and working properly to prevent overheating and the formation of sparks. When cutting or mowing, be aware of rocks that may cause sparks if struck by mower blades. Check that all fire extinguishers are appropriate for the size of the machinery, are fully charged, and are easily accessible. Carry an ABC rated fire extinguisher – it can be used for electrical and petroleum-based fires originating on the tractor and for vegetative fires. Check and remove combustible vegetation from motors, exhausts, ledges and brackets several times a day. Remove debris from the surface of the baler using a portable gas-powered leaf blower. Keep hay in groups of 10 bales or fewer and at least 100 feet away from structures or other ignition sources. Firebreaks – 30 feet of mowed grass, bare ground, or rock between bale groups – will help prevent fire from extending to additional bales. Frequently check to see if stored hay is hot or has internal fire (noted by a caramel or strong burning odor, visible vapor or smoke, strong musty smell, or all of the above). Do not move overheated or smoldering hay. Immediately call 911 if fire occurs and provide clear directions to your location. Check the weather – avoid running equipment on days with warm temperatures, high winds, and low humidity. Plan your day – take advantage of mornings and evenings that tend to have calmer winds, cooler temperatures, and higher humidity. Find more information about fire danger at mndnr.gov/burnrestrictions. ### Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • mrpike1973
      From what I'm hearing I believe I will just keep my K-Drill. I have no doubts whatsoever that Nils is a great product and Frank does awesome work on the blades. Many of my friends have used his services before. I drill a lot and almost always on dirty wind swept ice last year was terrible on the lakes I was on. 2 sets of blades for me last year first set got dull around January then replaced to the second set at the end of the year. I did call K Drill today they said that's normal for the usage I do. No cause for alarm at all. So I'm always looking for the grass is greener on the other side type person. No hurt feelings here fellas both are good augers and I will not say bad things about them just thought I was missing the boat but as someone said does it really matter if you get the hole drilled 2 seconds faster? It matters how many fish you pull up that hole😁
    • BobT
      Here's a thought that just occurred to me. I was having some similar issues with my sonar unit. While troubleshooting noise feedback from my trolling motor, one thing I tried was to add a ferrite core filter on the power cable to my HB 596c. Now that I think about it, I have not had a problem with my HB shutting down on starting my outboard since I added the filter. It's possible the ferrite core is attenuating the voltage fluctuation just enough.    Got the clamp-on filter online for less than $5.00. Something like this one from ebay. You need to get the right size to fit your HBs power cable. Mine was 1/4".   Inexpensive thing to try.
    • leech~~
      So there is Trout in there as well?  Where is this Holy Buckets Lake?  😯
    • BobT
      Now, I'm puzzled. Both units should therefore be experiencing the same brownout conditions when you start your outboard. I wonder if a surge suppressor might be helpful? Is the bow mount unit a newer unit and if so, maybe it has updated technology that is less susceptible to the voltage drop. I'm just thinking out loud now. 
    • Rick G
      Wow, nice gill😁