• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

5 hours ago, OhioVike said:

Del, if you don't mind me asking, how do you rig your senko?

Not at all do I mind.  I was fishing wacky, with no weight, just a hook.  Seems to work well on shallow rocks and doesn't snag much.  (evening thing).   I have a couple of those wacky jigs, small ball head, thin weedguard, that I am going to try in a little deeper water near the rocks more during the day.  

I usually stick to walleye but my son wants to try some bass. I bought some senko worms a couple weeks ago and will give hem a try.  I will go weedless in the weed beds and wacky over the rocks. Thanks!

I found the fishing to be tough this weekend... Warm water temps and algae seemed to be abundant. Caught only a few bass and panfish here and there.

Fishing was tough during the day for us as well. We found some pretty reliable walleye action before 7am or after 9pm tho. I think the water temp had a lot to do with it. 

Any updates on how the west end is doing this week? I haven't been able to figure out the walleyes on the west end at all this year & I think I may throw in the towel on walleye fishing for a while and stick to bass fishing.

What's been working well for you lately Del? I'm finding fish on docks that will hit a senko. Going to try and fish the slop a little more this weekend to look for more largies. 

Haven't come across many pike which has surprised me.

Guess I might be coming up midweek,  How are the mosquitoes, we will be camping.  Thanks

With the Beebe and cooler evening, skeeters not bad tonight.

I'm not much on dock fishing.  Just seems sort of invasive to me.

Evening on rocks connected to shore with senko is still working but hard to tell with the storm and front that went through.

Got a nice pike, like 31, trolling a crank across the humps down by turtle island the other evening whilst looking for eyes on the sonar.

Dock fishing isn't my first choice either- will avoid docks with anyone on them. Hoping the fish want to hit some scum frogs today in the thick weeds.

Granddaughter got a 13 inch largemouth this afternoon on 1/4 inch of crawler .  It was somewhat of a surprise for everyone.

• Thumbs Up 2

We did really well on walleyes this weekend on Frazer bay.  We caught limits of 12-15" eaters each morning between 530-730 am.  Bite pretty much shut off after 730am.  A few decent eyes (18", and 2 19") mixed in, as well as several nice smallies (15", 17", 18").   All our fish were caught on black jigs and 1/2 crawler, and all caught between 11-13 FOW.   Found the pattern by accident, anchored with slip bobbers and little kids in the boat friday evening.  I threw on a few different color jigs until they started biting on black.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was fishing the past week and last weekend and found the walleye fishing to be way better than average on the West end.  Each night we were able to catch multiple keeper (15-17) walleyes along with slot fish (largest 24).  All fish were caught on crawlers and at transition points where sand to rock meet especially.  Color and speed were important.  We would catch one night in one area and then nothing the next and had to move.  0.6-1 mph were the key speeds.  Most nights the key color of the spinner was "perch".  Found if you start getting "taps" from the bluegills you may as well head out but if you were able to catch a few small perch then wait for the walleyes to come.  There are plenty of spots to hit in Wake-em-up and Norwegian bay and all help good groups of fish.  

• Thumbs Up 3

Looks like I should give it a try.  So you are pulling spinners and bouncers?

I see all sorts of stuff on the sonar just off the bottom of some humps in wakemup, like around turtle island.   Tried a rig and crawler--plain hook--no joy this afternoon, other than a few of the endemic smallies.

They seem to be everywhere this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm interested to learn the method that's been working as well- I readily admit I am a lousy walleye fisherman, but I don't want to be a lousy walleye fisherman for the rest of my life :) 

Fishing bass and pike lately in weedy bays & points with rocks and catching them on a spinner bait. Small size (1/4 oz) has been working best vs a larger (3/8 or 1/2 oz) spinner bait. Soft plastics have been working best in the evenings on boulder piles and on shallow to deep transitions. 

What  worked for me and has been working the past few years is kind of a modified Lindy.  I make a 4-6 foot Lindy with two hooks on it for the crawler and then use one of the spinner snaps you can change to try different colors.  Use a regular Lindy sinker or egg sinker because half of the bottom bouncers on the bottom of Vermilion are mine.  I am no expert but this is what has worked for me.  I just move along fast enough to get the blade to "wobble" rather than spin.  I used to read all the posts by Mark B and try what he was doing or a slight modification and it always worked.  Miss his reports.  

• Thumbs Up 1

That's interesting.  The old timers all used to put a spinner blade on their rigs.  I haven't been doing that.  Yet another thing to try.

• Thumbs Up 1

A report from me.  Had a great weekend Thurs thru sunday morning.  Fished spots from oak narrows all the way into frazier bay.  Plenty of 15-16 inch fish and 5 over with many 11.  Found spots outside of our normal.  all the same theme.  Fished transition areas from 16-22 ft off of structure with rigs and crawlers.  Interestingly we tried spinners and cranks over similar areas with nothing.  Great fishing and good luck, one of the only times i have looked at areas that looked fishy and caught fish.

• Thumbs Up 2

Of course Frazier Bay is not generally considered "west".  Still, interesting information.

5 ft snell, 1/2 ounce and 1 plain hook.  I have always kept it simple on vermilion.  Some say half crawler, i just take the last half inch of the crawler.

That should say last half inch of the crawler off.

Heading up for a few days.  Anybody troll crank baits in Wake-em-up around merry go round or stove top?  Years ago I caught a few fish doing it but have had more luck along the shorelines and over the humps.  Anybody switching to minnows yet or too early?  I should have a report in a few days.

funny, I see all sorts of stuff in 20 or so feet.  Doesn't bite, don't know what it is.  wakemup. 

Example is the big flat near woody's cove.  

Caught my first walleye of the year this evening.  It was even legal without any tail trimming.  Trolling an xrap deep in about 16 feet on west side of schmidt's island.

I was trolling because I got tired of fighting the wind while bass fishing (not catching)

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, delcecchi said:

funny, I see all sorts of stuff in 20 or so feet.  Doesn't bite, don't know what it is.  wakemup. 

Example is the big flat near woody's cove.  

Del,

Are these fish right on the bottom or suspended?

If they are suspended in 20' depths they are probably tulibees. If they are on the bottom they could be walleyes or suckers.

If they are bunched up on the bottom they may be either perch or walleyes. Suckers are usually scattered out and not bunched up tight.

Cliff

10 minutes ago, Cliff Wagenbach said:

Del,

Are these fish right on the bottom or suspended?

If they are suspended in 20' depths they are probably tulibees. If they are on the bottom they could be walleyes or suckers.

If they are bunched up on the bottom they may be either perch or walleyes. Suckers are usually scattered out and not bunched up tight.

Cliff

They are really too abundant to be walleye.  They go for hundreds of feet.    Pretty close to the bottom.  

I'm more used to seeing tulibees as nice big hooks out over deep water, like 20 down over 40 feet. 

Del,

You are right, tulibees are usually suspended out over deep water in the summer.

Could they be bluegills?

Cliff