• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Looks like a great time @crappie king 42and thanks for reminding people to release them!! 

Those red horses are good smoked!!

Love fishing those Red Horse ... I grew up fishing the Rum River by the rum river golf coarse.   I caught some that would brake the MN Record!!   Great memories as we would ride our Huffy Thunder roads down to the river and spend the day casting out night crawler on a small hook and catch 10-16 red horse for every small mouth caught.   Rum is loaded with Red Horse!!  when they spawn ... they fight better and start coming out of the water like a salmon LOL.  there are some huge RED HORSE in the Rum!!    If somebody wanted to brake that Red Horse record ... Go For It!!   

Redhorse, Shorthead 7lbs. 15oz. 27" length, 15" girth Rum River near Ramsey, Anoka County Robert G. Litke, Anoka, MN 8/5/83
  • Thumbs Up 3

They are really alot of fun. And something to transition from ice to open water with. Better than sitting at home anyway. They art running yet but hopefully soon. And yes moose I will be smoking some this spring. 

I have the info for the state records only hard part is telling the different ones apart. 

@crappie king 42  nice fish! I'm in isanti and have never fished the rum. Really wanted to get out and try, do you have any pointers and maybe place to start? Send me a PM if you want

Correct ... when I do a search there are 3 more common Red Horse Suckers to distinguish from ... there are:

1.  Greater Redhorse

2.  Shorthead Redhorse

3.  River Redhorse

*** count me in for a Red Horse fishing!!!   Let me know whoever is going out. :D

Cret

• Thumbs Up 1

I fish the crow river in St. Michael and are always catching red horse and carp.  Fun way to past the time and enjoy it with friends.  When I was younger we would have little tournaments to see who could catch the most in a day.  We even got a few 10-12 lbs carp which put up a good fight.  I need to fish the river more often.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've caught some real dandies out of the St. Croix River! And yes, I also think they happen to fight harder this time of year than at any other time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

CrappieKing42,

Great report to start off the rough fish season bro!

Some good numbers for you.In two days you picked up 28 total.Pretty cool.

Keep us posted on your carp and sucker fishing.Alot of us are watching these spring sucker threads closely.Nice job and thanks for sharing with the group.:)

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm headed out tomorro afternoon/ evening if anyone wants to join. Idk if they will be biting but I'm gonna drown some worms anyway. If u want to join just shoot me a message. 

Got out on the rum late this afternoon in the isanti area for couple hours with some crawlers, didn't catch a thing. The river was pretty high and moving fast, but it was nice to get out and walk the river and check things out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I haven't had any luck as of late with the cold weather. But as soon as it warms back up with some sun head out there they will be biting again. I am going Friday but I think I will try to go for some bullheads just haven't figured out where yet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Went to Milaca today for 4 hours and caught 22 suckers it was a blast and alot of big ones. 

Snapchat-975361325281233573.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Hello everyone.  I'm a fly fisherman from Wisconsin visiting family in Rochester this weekend.  I foul hooked a sucker on the Root River last summer and it was a fight I'll never forget.  I've been wanting to target them on the fly this spring - to keep me busy until bass.  I also love carp.  Do you think the Zumbro River is the place to start?  Anyone else fly fish for suckers?

Thanks!

Kelly

• Thumbs Up 1

I cant help ya but WELCOME to FM

• Thumbs Up 1

Kelly,

Welcome to FM!

I use to fly fish for suckers years ago. Fun fish to catch on a fly rod that is for sure!

Weighted nymphs worked best for me.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks guys!  Good to find this forum.  I get to Minnesota to fish every few weeks.  Lots of good info here :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Zumbro is as good as any other river. Used to see them zipping around all over the place when I fished smallies down there.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, FLYANGLERGIRL said:

Hello everyone.  I'm a fly fisherman from Wisconsin visiting family in Rochester this weekend.  I foul hooked a sucker on the Root River last summer and it was a fight I'll never forget.  I've been wanting to target them on the fly this spring - to keep me busy until bass.  I also love carp.  Do you think the Zumbro River is the place to start?  Anyone else fly fish for suckers?

Thanks!

Kelly

Or the root, north branch, that goes through Stewartville might be good.

• Thumbs Up 1

As for carp, it might be a little early, but I have seen them cruising and even caught a couple, in whatever creek or rinvery that runs behind the civic center in Rochester.  In some places the rip rap can be a little awkward, you can go downstream some and it goes away. 

Thread might be better in the se MN forum which is pretty dead or the rough fish forum.

My car was in the shop most of the day, but I did drive out to Hammond and Millville to check out the river for tomorrow.  Can't wait!

• Thumbs Up 2

Welcome to FM FLYANGLERGIRL!! When you catch some please post a report. If you have any questions please ask. @FLYANGLERGIRL when you want the person to be notified put @ in front their handle

• Thumbs Up 2

Going to head out to the rum this afternoon, see if I can't get into some suckers!?

• Thumbs Up 3

Good luck to ya hope ya caught a bunch. I tried in princeton today but didn't get anything. 

• Thumbs Up 3