• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing piers and park fishing 169 to Monticello?

Hello, first - thanks for all the great info I've dug through in this forum. I'm new to the North Mississippi area and see there are some parks and piers in my area.

I'd like to try from Monticello down to 169 or so from shore this spring and summer. (Dayton/Ramsey border) I'd like to catch (and release) some bass, pike, walleye but will be happy with anything I can get from shore. Just looking for a quiet area to relax and fish where there's at least a chance of catching something. Is this area worth a try or should I head to Pool 2, etc? Thank you

Edited by relgeiz
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • 2 weeks later...
EpGrand12

Go after some roughfish!!! The carp are bulking up before they start spawning heavily and they have been pretty consistent all along that stretch the last few days. I've also been hooking into some White Suckers too that are a pretty good size. Last i checked the water temp for the Mississippi in St. Paul was 44.0 degrees F. That is on the lower end of what Redhorses like to in order to start spawning but, hopefully i can hook into a few shortheads this coming weekend. i feel Most people are waiting for the conditions to become better on pool 2 for the walleyes to concentrate closer to the dam. Hell with that, throw out a worm or some corn and catch some roughfish. It's a fun surprise every time you have a fish on roughfishing like this, this time of year because you can literally hit 10+ species in a day once the temp picks up a little more!!! 

GOOD LUCK ON THE WATER!!

• Thumbs Up 2
trappingaddiction

What have you been getting them on? I normally use crawlers but I am assuming there isn't any around in the bait shops yet.

EpGrand12

Have you been to a bait shop recently? I went last night to pick up some for the weekend and took a picture. Nightcrawlers and Red rowms are widely available so go get some roughfish!! its a hella a time!!

IMG_2871.JPG

Edited by EpGrand12
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
eyeguy 54

welcome to FM guys. have fun catching and post some pics :)

• Thumbs Up 1
JeremyCampbell
20 minutes ago, EpGrand12 said:

Have you been to a bait shop recently? I went last night to pick up some for the weekend and took a picture. Nightcrawlers and Red rowms are widely available so go get some roughfish!! its a hella a time!!

IMG_2871.JPG

Im jealous, looked around yesterday didn't find any crawlers by me.Still have a handful of places to call yet.You guys are so lucky.Have fun..catch some and let us know how you did.:)

trappingaddiction
33 minutes ago, EpGrand12 said:

IMG_2871.JPG

Yes I've been to a couple shops around my area with no luck. I will have to try a few more.

JeremyCampbell

Ok found some but not sharing where lmao:P

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• paydayy25
      By paydayy25
      I am a student at the University of Minnesota. I was raised in Ottertail County which is full of amazing lakes for walleye. Along with walleye fishing, I was raised on catfishing the Red River in the Grand Forks area. This week my father is coming down to the metro area to visit me down here at school. He's bringing his boat down (17 ft Crestliner with 80HP tiller). I was hoping to get some tips and reports on some possible river spots for catfishing. I would love to get in the MN River to chase some big flatheads! Any other river fishing spots for smallmouth and/or walleye would be great to try out as well! 

Do do any of you know of any spots that are within 30 minutes of the metro area and any good landings to put the boat in at? Hopefully the river isn't too worked up from the storms today. 

Any tips or reports would be well appreciated! 

Thanks. 
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Fish Head
      I don't think Cliff retired. Maybe he just cut back some.   
    • gimruis
      Absolutely.  Although they are technically considered a "rough fish" by the DNR, they play a critical role as a food source for many game fish.  In lakes and rivers that lack tulibees, they are often the top forage for muskies too.  Additionally, they are native to our state whereas the carp species which look similar, are not.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Thanks, I definitely will check those guys out.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I remember counting just shy of 50 boats in Black Bay around Memorial Day last weekend. It's more than I've ever seen even at Fishing Opener when the spawn is timed perfectly.   What I love about Black Bay is that once the walleye and crappie runs finish up in the spring, the fishing pressure calms way down.
    • DonkeyHodey
      Brag Alert***:  Got a PB white sucker.  With tail pinched it was just at 26 inches.   1.)  This Fish is almost certainly a post spawn female (she was pretty flattened out in the egg section).  probably 20-30 years old (maybe more). 2.)  A big fish drops ~10,000 eggs per spawn (give or take 5000).  With that said, this lovely lady has probably (through her babies) directly provided >200,000 fish meals for the predatory fish (and birds) in the river. 3.)  Many of her offspring will have grown up to spawn and continue the process;  If a mere 5 of her babies grew to spawn for 20 years then Statistically >1 million baby suckers will have come from her to feed the game fish in the Mississippi river!  However, playing the statistics/numbers game:  if ~0.1% of her babies grow to spawn and their babies (with a similar 0.1% chance) grow to spawn, you are looking at 100 million baby suckers descended from this one fish!   Next time you catch a nice plump Smallie or Wally in the river, realize that they grow and thrive because of "grocery getters" like this.    Preachy Alert***--Too many "fisherman" think these are trash fish and fail to recognize their critical role in a healthy fishery...  NEVER throw these on the shore! (notwithstanding the fact that it's also illegal...)
    • Rick
      Dry conditions mean very high fire danger persists in north-central and northeastern Minnesota. Spring outdoor recreation activity is increasing, and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources urges outdoor enthusiasts to limit the use of campfires and use caution with off-road vehicles that could spark and start a wildfire. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Muskyhunter73
      Cliff was guiding last year. Did he retire this year?
    • Pat McGraw
      Getting so excited for 2021 walleye season!  
    • CigarGuy
      Ya, not much you can do about it. Still enough lake to get away from most of the crowds. My son and buddies will be all weekend, we'll be following each other around. They're were about 12 boats in Black Bay last night and didn't have to play bumper boats.
    • leech~~
      Might be able to do some shore fishing by the boat launch on near by Trout Lake as well.  Good Luck!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.