• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

DrJuice1980

Perch bite

DrJuice1980

Been up the last 2 weekends and have had some fun catching 13-16"ers and a fat 24" but have been unable to locate the perch. Went out of Lybecks, played around a lot in the SE, went out of hunters to 3 mile, that's where most of the eyes were, tried rock, mud, rock/mud, 20'-35'. No luck, just a lone 6-7" fish here and there was all. Next weekend looks perfect for punching a lot of holes, where should I be looking? 

Thank you

Sculpin

There are a few jumbo's starting to show up around the mud, and in deep transition's where rocks and/or sand, meets soft bottom. Speculation is that there simply are not any big numbers to be had. You seem to have the right formula, drill, move, drill move. My personal experience thus far has been the inability to see even any numbers of small perch, the overall population appears to be down. 

Good luck !!   

DrJuice1980

This weekend looks great to just make some swiss cheese, in search of jumbos. 

Sculpin

Please post your results in the event you get into them Juice.  I will be out there as well, starting tomorrow.

Good luck !!

mascad

Thanks to 60 lb muskies, there aren't the numbers of perch there once were, not close.  Tulibees are down too...same reason.

thescottith

Walleyes don't eat any perch? or do they get a pass cause you prefer to walleye fish?

Blaming Muskies is short sighted and not what any data supports.

• Thumbs Up 2

JBMasterAngler

According to the 2014 DNR test nets, tullibee numbers are up from the last survey. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Musky Face

I almost forgot that musky's are the only predator on mille lacs. Pike, bass and walleyes don't eat. Lol. 

magic_minnow

can anyone chime in if resorts are lettings cars out?  Final fishing trip of the season.....don't even think i'll bring a shack just packing the poles, auger in my car and a bucket.  Thanks in advance!

Muskiemanzan13

I think you'd be OK if you went out of Hunter's Point. There was still 1-ton diesel rigs out there last weekend so I'd believe they'll let you out in a car. 

Fishing wise we had awesome success with tullibees also caught 3 perch 11"-12". Heading out hopefully another time or two this season to target perch. 

magic_minnow

thanks muskieman!  congrats on the piggy perch! 

picksbigwagon

My son and I are heading up saturday morning, trying to decide, where to go out of right now, all I have heard is deep edges of the mud has been producing, anyone heard of anywhere they have come in on the eastside yet?

Muskiemanzan13

I caught a few jumbos on boot flat. I also heard of some hawgs coming from the graveyard during the Perch Extravaganza. Also according to Lyback's they have jumbos in the rocks 13'-19' right now but lots of weeding out is necessary. 

Tom Sawyer

The deeper transition areas from rock to sand, from Hunter's Point to Portside, then west to the islands and north to 3-mile will always be my wheelhouse for SUMO perch. Haven't fished the area in a couple years, but it always seems to produce nice perch. 

chris63

Today I was driving south on 169 and passed twin pines (south of garrison)and saw a bridge with a plowtruck out at the lake side of the heave.Looked like he was checking the ice.Stayed at red door last night but we didn't check the ice.I would walk out or atv now because it may REALLY be different when you come back across!!!!!c63