• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

LakeofthewoodsMN

Lake of the Woods Fishing Report 1-25-16

LakeofthewoodsMN

As the weather warmed up, so did the ice fishing. Ice roads are allowing half-ton trucks onto the lake when not towing a trailer. Ice averages 14-17”. As always, stay on marked resort trails and talk with your resort about ice conditions in their area. Fishing in 24-34’ seems to be the best. Glow colors remain hot and the two way punch of jigging and dead stick remains the go to plan of attack. Ice electronics are key in catching more fish. Walleyes and saugers caught primarily in late morning with flurries in afternoon.  Lots of nice saugers in the mix throughout the basin.

The Rainy River is iced over and being fished in spots but mainly by locals who know the ice.  For safety, work through resorts.  Safety first.  Most anglers fishing the lake.

Up at the NW Angle, fishing is hot.  Ice is 22” where resorts are traveling on Minnesota side and 14” on the Ontario side. Limits in 24-28' adjacent or on reefs for walleyes and 30-34' for saugers in the mud. Jumbo perch, pike, and eelpout in the mix. Large crappies (in 30-33') and lake trout (via snowmobile and guide) being caught on Ontario side.  

Big walleye, Slims Resort, 2016 Ice Fishing (1).jpg

Lake Trout, Ice Fishing (1).JPG

Pike, Ice Fishing, Lake of the Woods (1).JPG

• Thumbs Up 4

cnggack

Nice northern Ben!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Topwaterordie
      By Topwaterordie
      Anyone got any place that they would like to share with me to catch walleyes from shore. That is good anytime of the season.
      Preferably public land. I've got bad hips and cant be lifting my canoe any longer, so Im stuck to fishing on the shore. If you have
      any ideas of places let me know. Id be grateful for the advice.

Minnesota or North Dakota advise welcome.

Oh, Ill be fishing at night mostly. Ill be using live bait, Chubs and leeches.

Thanks!
    • cg2
      By cg2
      Anyone know of lakes with decent shore fishing near Mankato? I've gone to North Shore on Madison Lake but can't find any shore on other lakes near by. Any suggestions?
    • I_Love_2_Fish
      By I_Love_2_Fish
      This is a pretty cool video - I have to admire Jay's wife to go along on the fishing trip despite being sick and being rewarded by catching a trophy walleye. Also, I've never been in a SnoBear but they look impressive - if we get any more snow here I might need one just to get to work!!

http://huntfishmanitoba.ca/blog/2019/02/11/lake-winnipeg-ice-fishing-snobear-jay-siemens-vlog

Cheers,
      Tony
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      South End
      Great reports continue to come in for walleyes and saugers. Fish being caught in a variety of depths from 24-34' of water.  Morning/evening bite in 15-20'.  Some suspended fish.  Keep jigging lines moving.  Gold, glow red and other glow colors effective.  Try rattles to draw fish in.  Deadstick with a plain hook and live minnow.  Fish houses on ice through March 31, walleyes open through April 14, pike season open continuous.  Thick ice, extensions needed.  Resort houses available with good ice.  Ice roads open.

Rainy River
      A strong current in the river this year and a lot of snow.  Snowmobile trail on a river is open and marked from Baudette (downstream from the bridge) to the lake.  Stay on the trail for safety.

NW Angle
      Excellent reports across the Angle.  Walleyes coming from 22-30'.  Saugers and jumbo perch mixed in.  Jig one line, second line dead stick with a plain hook with a live minnow.  Snowmobile trails from south shore across the lake to Angle are marked with fresh snow.  Lots of slush off of the trail. 

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      A group of us recently made it up to Flag Island Resort for 3 days of multispecies ice fishing on Lake of the Woods. The accommodations and folks who worked at the Resort were top notch! Bending over backwards to put you on fish and make your trip one to remember.

The Fishing - Day 1 it was decided to stay, somewhat, close to the Resort in the MN side of LOTW to target Walleye, Sauger and Perch due to 24+ hours of snow. We got into pretty good numbers of fish and some quality fished showed up as well! Below is a video of that action from Day 1.

• fish4halibut
      By fish4halibut
      I want to gage the interest of the ice fishermen / sportsmen on my Utili-Sports™ trailer?  I'm in the process of fabricating a 6.5' x 12" aluminum trailer with a 6" tube framing that can be used for ice fishing, hunting, camping, toy hauling (atv/utv/motorcycle/snowmobile) or can be used as a utility trailer.  The trailer will have between 30"-36" fixed sidewalls to the trailer and similar to that of a regular utility trailer.  Although, both the sidewalls and flooring will be insulated.  I'm adding a 600 denier thinsulate tenting enclosure system to the trailer which can be attached/removed to/from the the sidewalls very easily.  It will also have a bimini travel cover for the tent enclosure for traveling and keeping the salt/muk off the tent enclosure in the winter.  There will also be a another travel cover fabricated for covered trailering for the taller motorcycles/snowmobiles/ATV/UTVs.  The bimini top would not be necessary if the trailer travel cover is used unless it is wanted for storing the tenting enclosure.  The curb weight of the trailer is currently 700-800 lbs so it is ideal for early ice and able to be moved easily with an ATV/SUV too.  With its light weight, the trailer doesn't have be pulled by a 4 wheel drive and can be towed on early/late ice with an ATV/UTV.  I am looking at having a secured storage box on the front v-frame section where I can store the battery for electronics usage\lighting and other items that need securing.  One of the other main benefits of this trailer is that it can be stored in your garage.  And while it is stored in your garage, you can drop the trailer down to ground level and store any of your toys in the trailer so no new storage space is required.  

At the end of the day, if you are like me, it will come down to a quality product and the PRICE.  Any feedback is appreciated and especially anything negative as I believe that is most important in understanding any shortcomings before it is commercialized.

"Camp, Hunt, Ice-Fish & Travel More"
    • MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      A group of high school buddies and some of their family make an Annual trip up to Baudette to fish Walleyes on Lake of the Woods. I look forward to this trip each year! Since this is an Annual Trip we all put some money and bragging rights on the line for the Angler who can catch the biggest fish of the weekend, take home the Trophy, $500 Cash and call themselves "Mr. Walleye" for the next 365 days. The Largest Perch and Heaviest Eelpout/Burbot also take home prizes. I didn't have the camera's rolling on Day 1 (which was lights out) but on Day 2 of the trip we were filming. It was fun day and I even caught my new Personal Best Perch!

• Monkster
      By Monkster
      I wasn't exactly sure where I can post this, I believe there is a tournament/contest page also, but since it is ice fishing, I thought I'd post it here.

This is our 8th annual ice fishing contest held on Gervais Lake in Little Canada, MN. The lake is just north of Highway 36 on Edgerton street. We have parking in the beach lot and all around the beach area (walk out only). Portables are not allowed to fish in, but to use as a wind break is fine. We have lots of great fishing prizes including a Clam Stealth Thermal two-man, augers, electronics and many rod/reel combos. Tickets are $20 per hole (two hole max), register online or buy tickets at Joe's Sporting Goods, Hardware Hank Little Canada, Little Canada Bingo hall or Little Canada City Hall. www.lcraonline.org

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      I recently met up with my buddy Al to check out a small lake that I had never fished before (Al had only open water fished it). We didn't get to the lake until after sundown and we immediately started drilling holes looking for fish. It didn't take us too long to find an area that the fish were frequenting. We caught a couple fish and set up the flipover. We wound up getting into some nice Crappies and to our surprise some really nice Sunfish. I would really like to get back to this lake soon to explore some new areas and learn it a bit more as it definitely has quality fish!

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin
      Good numbers of walleyes and saugers being caught of all sizes.  Jig one line, deadstick second.  Most anglers focused in 25-31' of water.  During the morning and evenings, shallow water bite in 13-18'.  Electronics very helpful with some larger fish suspended.  Every resort ice road is different but pickups and wheelhouses of varying sizes allowed on various ice roads.  Gold, glow red, yellow and orange hot colors.  Ice ranges from 12-20" where resorts are fishing.  Snowmobile trails on lake staked from south shore up to NW angle.  Please stay on marked trails, don't go off on your own and exercise safety precautions as ice conditions vary.
      On the Rainy River
      Stretches of the river and bay ice unsafe with heavier than normal current.  Some walleye action in Four Mile Bay early and late in the day.  Most river fishing currently being done by locals who know ice.
      The NW Angle
      Ice road is open from Young's Bay to Flag Island, no further as of yet.  Snowmobile trails from south shore across the lake to Angle are marked and are open.  Stay on the trail for safety!  Excellent fishing with good numbers of walleyes being caught.  Most fish coming from 18-24'.  Crappies being caught on Ontario side.  Work through resorts and stay on staked resort ice trails.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mtheis
      I am coming up there Sept 5 and staying a week.  I can hardly wait!  I want to get in on the trolling bite before it gets too late.  
    • BobT
      One of the reasons I decided to try them is size. Can't find shiners here and the fatheads are small, almost as small as crappie minnows. The light pike sucker minnows are 4" - 5" and with the water cooling down and the later part of the season, I'm thinking the size will more closely match natural forage. We'll see how things go. 
    • Wishin4Walleyes
      Went out of superior entry yesterday morning. Found some decent laker action. They were all on the small side and most all of them came in 52 fow on the riggers set at 45 ft. Ended up with 7 lakers and a bonus walleye. Had a lot of quick releases on the riggers as well so probably smaller Lakers. 
    • tacklejunkie
      One of the lakers had 14 pieces of minnows in it's gut!! And it still attacked my spoon
    • delcecchi
      By the way, we saw three nice bucks in a group on Wakemup Village Rd on the way home.  I was sort of surprised since They were clearly in a group, and I thought bucks were more solitary.    Looked like 6-8 pointers.    Good looking deer.    
    • tacklejunkie
      Went out late last week out of the Wisc entry and dropped a line in 55 feet of water and nailed one right off the bat before setting any other lines out. Trolled till 100am and we picked up 5 lakers and one nice walleye. Walleye went back.   Most on dipseys and one came off a  4 oz snap weight right off the back with spoons. No particular coleor
    • tacklejunkie
      Agree with the above. But I've also caught plenty of eating sized walleyes with them, also
    • Kettle
      I've used light suckers when I couldn't get shiners or rainbows and was going after bigger walleye and they did work. 
    • Wanderer
      We had bought bait for pike fishing last winter, well I sent my wife in to buy it while I fueled the truck.  Scoop of crappies and a dozen suckers for tip ups.  She came back with a scoop of crappies and a dozen light pike suckers.  Those are for pike, right?   We couldn’t get on the lake we intended to so went to plan B for walleyes with friends.  I “gave em a try” and was really impressed how well they worked.  I’ll definitely do it again.
    • delcecchi
      Went to Landing last night (Saturday).   Had reservations and got a nice table by the window.   Server was working hard but seemed like maybe she was new and over loaded.    My iced tea was served in a shorter glass, and the water was plastic cups.  Maybe the dishwasher was behind.   Food was good and served hot.   My burger was a little over cooked but not bad enough to make me complain to the place.  Just you guys.      Prices moderate.  They  had run out of artichokes for the artichoke dip...  Price was good.   Plenty food for me and mrs.     No alcohol, my buddy is on methotrexate and gets one beer a week.   His was friday at the cook vfw burger night which I highly recommend.