• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk

Nice Job Jeff great opportunity!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
eyeguy 54

Fun!  Post away people !

• Thumbs Up 1

talked with a fellow union brother. said he was out on a lake in the Richmond area and found 14 inches of ice. he did OK with crappies  and added a bonus eye but took all day to do it.

• Thumbs Up 4
Weathertite

Thank you Borch for your generousity , I hope everyone appreciates what you are doing and that we have some awesome photos to look at. Once again Thank You.

Mike

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Looks like you need two vexilars or maybe she needs one... ;)

• Thumbs Up 2

A crystal clear example of: The way to a woman's heart is through shared electronics. She's a keeper.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tried a new lake today, fished in 25 feet off a 30 foot hole had fish under me the whole time and only had one bite.  Wish I would have brought the camera out to see what they were. 

One small lake had 10" of ice but then I was surprised to find 13 inches of ice about 4 miles Away. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Naturboy
Wrong fish
  • Thumbs Up 1
eyeguy 54
12 hours ago, LucasMN said:

I like to take my girlfriend out a couple times a year, she likes catching fish but doesn't want to go all the time because it's cold and sometimes you get skunked. I bought a Vexilar in the fall and it's been great this year.

Here is a picture from last weekend. Look long and hard at it. Now look at it again. Notice that I took the picture, then look at who gets to use the Vexilar. Yes, that's right...not me. She is the chief of the shelter and proclaimed that, "It's hers". She then proceeded to out fish me by a large margin.

I decided she's staying home this weekend. :P

fish.jpg

IMG_20160101_165131.jpg

could drill a hole where the minnows are for the vex. :)  then maybe, just maybe you could give her some competition. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

If I play with the vex I can pick up both jigs some times. Drilling a hole in the middle would be fine with another guy but unfortunately she is not very coordinated and I can forsee a boot in the hole. Lol. 

Per her wishes I can't post her face. But she did catch the biggest of the day on her rod which she named "big red". She was grinning ear to ear. No idea what her jig is called, all I know is that it was the 'cutest' one she could find. Her words of course. 

IMG_20160121_205124.jpg

Edited by LucasMN
  • Thumbs Up 3
Weathertite

You could drill a smaller hole which would cut down on the chance of anybodys foot entering it it , Just sayin !!!

Great pics and looks like you and her now have something you both enjoy and can share together. She is a keeper !!!

Stay safe and fish well !!!

• Thumbs Up 2
Sir-Idlebobbers

Made it out with Barefoot last Thursday, Hit the chain early to see if we could pick up a bite at sunrise.

Marked a good number of fish in around 38 FOW and set up with a goal of picking up a few eyes and/or crappies. 

We fished them hard and found a little bit of interest but they just weren't seeming to be real hungry. We eventually were able to pull up a few fish. We ended up seeing one small eye. a small perch, and two small crappies. I had a good size kitty(3lb?) snap the line just at the top of the hole. Would have been my first chain kitty. better luck next time I suppose. Always nice to get out and explore new waters even if you don't get a meal of fish to take home. Gotta stay after it.

Saturday I met up with borch in the late morning hours out west of Richmond in search of sunfish and crappies and maybe a wayward pike. The wind was pretty tough but we fought the cold to keep moving in search of a decent school. Pressure was pretty high but we found a decent spot to do some exploring. I set a flag in 14 FOW tipped with a large sucker hoping to hit a nice pike and proceeded to chase marks in 18-20 with the jigging rig.

I was able to finally get one to bite and I was pretty excited to see a good size sunfish when I got it on the ice. We had a couple circles of holes open to try and follow them around but I wasn't able to hit them like I was hoping in the holes I was working only pulling up another keeper and one other small one. After an hour or so I decided to move over towards where he had moved to as he had clued me in to a bit of success he had found a hundred yards away or so. I found a number of marks in about 23 and finally was able to set up my shack as the wind had calmed. I was probably 20 yards from him and we were both seeing them come through pretty consistently but I just couldn't get them to bite. He was picking up a few here and there on plastics and was able to ice a mixed dozen of sunfish and crappies throughout the remainder of the afternoon.

Apparently live bait isn't what it one was. i think I'm going to have to invest on some plastics. We had a great time though, my lady even came out in the afternoon and proceeded to out-fish me and although she didn't actually catch one she at least got to see her cork sink pretty hard a couple times throughout the afternoon. 

Overall a great week of fishing. Best of luck out there.

Monday is the last day to qualify for a chance of winning the plastics and jigs.  Posts your reports in the St Cloud Reports and pics in here before midnight.

I had a couple of hours to get out this afternoon on Pearl and found 14" of ice. Lots of gills and a few small crappie to keep me busy and lost a buckshot to a northern. Fished in about 11' of water away from the crowd. Believe it or not I had more fun than sitting in a house full of inlaws. Biggest bluegills were running about 7.5". 

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
GeluNumber1

Do the fish have to be from the St Cloud area?

Went fishing on Beaver Lake yesterday in St. Paul. Caught a lonely pike in 12 feet of water on a sucker minnow set 8 feet down. At least I wasn't skunked.

PikeJanuary282018.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Nope.  You're good GeluNumber1.

• Thumbs Up 1

Naturboy was the winner for the posted picture.

Lucas MN was the winner for the St Cloud Fishing Report. 

PM me you addresses and I'll get the jigs and plastics off in the mail to you.

Thanks to all that participated.

• Thumbs Up 2
eyeguy 54

Fun.  Nice deal Borch!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      5/29/17 Fishing report from Flag Island Resort NW Angle, Lake of the Woods

Happy Memorial Day!

The past week has brought some variation in weather including sunshine, wind and rain. Overall fishing has been good.  The bug hatches have started with the fish flies having some impact on the fishing but, anglers are still consistently getting limits.

On the Minnesota side, the walleye, sauger, pike and perch bite continues. The magic depths have been between 7-13 feet in the mud and 16-26 feet on rocks. The Flag Island Flats are starting to heat up. Other hot locations include points and near shore reefs. Just the same as last week all tactics have had their day. Jigging, raps and spinners have all been producing once you find what is working. The water temp is around 58 degrees.

Over in Ontario anglers are still catching a nice mixed bag of walleye, sauger, crappie, perch, pike and smallmouth bass. The crappies are moving shallower getting ready to spawn. Some depths according to their species are as follows; Smallmouth bass 2-8 feet, Walleyes 20-24 feet and Sauger 26-30 feet. Points, reefs, humps, areas with current, rock piles and inside turns have all worked when looking for locations. A jig or spinner with a minnow or crawler has worked best. The hot colors have been gold, pink and orange.

Until next week, good luck fishing!
      Guides, Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers
      Flag Island Resort
      218-223-8011

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort, Lake of the Woods NW Angle 2-20-17   Fishing on the MN side started out a little slower at the beginning of the warmer temps we have been having but we have seen a 360 turn around and fishing is back to where we like to see it for the NW Angle. We are seeing a lot of nice Walleye, Sauger, Perch, Tulibee and Pike being caught in 20-26 feet on the rocks and sand. The best areas we have seen all year are on rocks and shallow, the fish are feeding on the crayfish. The best colors ave been gold, red, silver and blue on spoons, rattler flyers, ripping raps and buckshots.   Over on the Canadian Side the Walleyes, saugers, Perch, Crappie and Pike continue to bite. The morning and afternoon bite has been best for the Walleye and Crappies. The Crappie bite has been best in 30 plus feet, look for deep holes with trees nearby and 26-28 feet on rock bars, reefs, shoals and humps for Walleyes. Tungsten jigs #6 or #8 have been best for Crappies with red or pink plastics and a wax worm, spring bobbers and electronics are recommended. Buckshots, flyers, flutter spoons, and rippin raps have been successful for Walleyes   With the warmer temps and rain we have recently experienced most of the snow has melted and we are left with water on top of the ice. For snowmobiles it is recommended to have scratchers to prevent overheating. We still have good ice with 24 plus inches and the roads are still good, the approaches are a little rough and sloppy but manageable. With the cold weather coming things should firm up quickly. Check with resorts and guides for up to date ice conditions.   Until next week, good luck fishing! Guides Ray King, Dan Schmidt, Professional Fishing Guide, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers.   Flag Island Resort 218-223-8011
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      1.30.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

The weather is finally cooperating and it feels like January! Last week's sloppy conditions have frozen over and all trails have been groomed.

Fishing on the Minnesota side has slowed in the morning but a mid-day to afternoon bite is still strong anywhere between 17 and 28ft. Fishing the dead stick has been most productive with many limits produced and a fair amount of slot fish being released.

Canada is still pumping out the crappies, the magic number seems to be right around 30 ft., Deep water Bay has seen a lot of action for both the walleye and crappie bite.

Have a great week!
      Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort 1/30/17

The weather this past week up here in the angle has been pretty unstable with temps in the single digits and closer to the thirties and now snow flurries today. The fish have still been biting and anglers are still taking home limits every day.

On the Minnesota side, anglers are catching a good mix of fish including Walleye, Sauger, Perch, Pike and Smallmouth Bass. Eel Pout will be spawning within the next couple of weeks. The depths we have been fishing with success is 20-26 feet and in 13-14 feet from 4-6pm in current. The areas we are fishing are on rock reefs, rock points, rubble rock and sandbars. Rattling flyers, buck shots, spoons and plain hooks on dead sticks. Hot colors include red, pink, gold and silver. Most days jigging is out producing dead sticks.

Over on the Ontario side the Crappie bite is still good and holding. Jigging with a plastic on a Tungsten jig with a wax worm has been the most successful tactic. The Crappies are in the mud eating mostly mayfly larvae in 30 feet of water. The best locations are in deep mud holes near structure. The magic colors are still glow white and pink. The Walleye bite has also remained and we are finding them at the end of deep points and reefs between 25 and 32 feet of water using frozen shiners. Many anglers have been catching several smallmouth bass and we just wanted to make it known that these are illegal fish in the wintertime in Ontario. If one were to bite you must immediately release them. As always it is recommended to stay on staked trails with the ever changing ice conditions due to the high current in many areas. One last thing to note is that when crappie fishing the mortality rate is very high for catch and release, we recommend targeting another species once you have caught your limit.

Guides Ray King, Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers

Flag Island Resort
      218-223-8011

• Monkster
      By Monkster
      We're a little over a week away from the 6th annual LCRA Ice Fishing contest on Lake Gervais in Little Canada, MN! Lots of great prizes, over $10,000 in prizes and raffle. Grand prize for fishing is a Marcum flasher, a Clam X200 flip over thermal and an Eskimo auger! Come on out Saturday, February 4th, noon to 3pm. Line up early for a good spot, the tent will open by 9am with beverages (alcohol and non-alcohol), food and raffle tickets. The raffle is the LCRA's winter raffle. $5 tickets, grand prize is a trip to Vegas and $1,000 cash! You don't have to be present to win in the raffle, that will be drawn after the prizes for the fishing contest around 4pm that day.

The Little Canada Recreation Association is a non-profit group that raises money to offset registration fees for youth in the Little Canada, Roseville, Maplewood and Vadnais Heights areas. We also fund scout projects, playground equipment and many types of sports equipment for area teams.

For more information on the LCRA or to register for fishing, go to www.lcraonline.org

• Craig b
      By Craig b
      Anybody know if people are driving trucks to the trout lake portage? Thanks!
    • flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Fishing report from Flag Island Resort, Lake of the Woods NW Angle 1/2/17

Happy new year everyone! We hope you all had a safe and happy holiday. Fishing up in the NW Angle has been really heating up and we are in the full swing of things once again! We have a plowed ice road marked with signs out the resort and open to full sized vehicles. There is also a staked snowmobile trail all the way up from Baudette.

On the Minnesota side the Walleye, Sauger and Perch bite has been good. We have about 14-16 inches of ice. Walleye and Perch are being caught in 20-26 feet and Saugers in the 20-28 foot range. Reefs, shoals and rocks are producing with gold, white, green and red colored tackle. Buck shots, ripping raps, stop signs and jigging spoons have all been successful. For the dead sticks frosties and glow demons have seemed to work best. Jigging with electronics has been key and out producing live bait rigs and dead sticks.

Over on the Canadian side the Crappie bite is heating up, limits are being caught for patient fishermen and women and the bite has been more time sensitive than the spot. 30 to 33 feet depths and on structure have been producing Crappies using red, pink and white small Tungsten jigs, the glow in the dark white being the best with either small plastics or frozen shiners. The Walleye bite has been on the deeper side in 24 plus feet and off of structure.

We advise staying on marked trails as the ice conditions are changing daily with the current.

Guides Dan Schmidt, Ray King, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, NW Angle 10/3/16

On the Minnesota side fishing has been good. The Walleyes and Saugers are still in the mud in 10-20 feet and the water temperature is around 59 to 60 degrees. The north side and south tip of Oak Island has been producing fish as well as American and Northwest points. The Flag Island flats have also been good. The birds have been following the shiners as well and they have been good at directing anglers to the fish. Orange and hammered gold spinners or chartreuse, gold and black ¼ to 3/8 ounce jigs tipped with a shiner has been the tactic of choice. Local ducks are still in the area for those of you who put the fishing poles away for a bit to put on some camo. Hunters have been having good luck.

Over on the Ontario side fishing is still hot. The Crappie bite has slowed down a bit with the change in weather. The water temperature is around 59 degrees.  Jigging in 18-28 feet with emerald shiners have been successful in channels and bays and deep holes.  The deer season has opened over here and with the warm temps the deer have not been on the move as much as we would like but, there is still plenty of time to bag a trophy buck!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Fishing report from Flag Island Resort, Lake of the Woods NW Angle 9/5/16                                                          

Happy Labor Day, we hope everyone is having a safe and fun holiday weekend! Up here in the northwest angle we have had quite a few rainy and windy days. The fish are still biting better than ever, and the fishing is only going to get better. Fall brings some of the best fishing of the year as well as some of the best wildlife to be seen!

On the Minnesota side the bait fish are moving into bays and shallows. Walleye and Saugers are being caught in 10-13 feet around Flag Island and Oak Island and south of Oak in 16-27 feet. Crappies are being caught in 26-30 feet holes. The mud flats have also been hot. Spinners and bottom bouncers with a bait rig are still doing the best but anglers are still having luck pulling raps with down riggers. Soon we will be switching over to 1/4 -1/2 oz. jigs with minnows.  The water temp is at 65.7 and dropping.

Over on the Ontario side, the walleye bite is in 20-32 feet in fall patterns meaning that the fish are scattered and moving. The Crappies are schooling up in deep holes. Because the fish are moving into fall patterns you will find Walleyes in many different places and depths. Using spinners and good electronics works best to locate the fish.

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Fishing report from Flag Island Resort, Lake of the Woods NW Angle 8/29/16   Up here in the NW Angle fishing has been good with some cooler days as well as some wind, the water temperature is around 71 degrees.    On the Minnesota side fishing mainly off of reefs in 17-27 feet of water has been successful, a few days we produced fish in 10-17 feet of water on rocks. Fishing around the west bar of Little Oak, Crowduck and the west side of Garden has been the place to be. Purple and clown raps with riggers, gold spinners, and jigging when fish are up shallow on the rocks have all been tactics of choice.    Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been in 22-30 feet of water scattered in the mud flats using spinners and bottom bouncers. A few Crappies have been showing up.    We have been seeing more wildlife lately including a bear in camp a few nights as well as big bucks on the move. Flag Island Resort has experienced guides available for hunts so keep us in mind when thinking about your fall hunting trips! We do have cast and blast packages available to help you get the most out of your stay!   Until next week, Good luck fishing! Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau    Flag Island Resort  218-223-8011
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.