• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

If anyone agrees or disagrees. My opinion is that for a species like pheasants that are more of a warm weather bird,i.e. They have no feathers on legs, like a native grouse. I always have thought if you hunt pheasants in winter, thus flushing hens out of good habitat and making them use energy to escape hunters and possibly making them roost in poor habitat that it is a disservice to their survival. every time you flush a hen out of good thermal cover makes her use energy that depending on winter conditions, she may not ever be able to recover. Anyone disagree and why?

sartellangler05

I don't think it is the temperature that has effect on winter survival, but more so food availability and snow cover preventing food. Also, snow cover limits available brush to seek shelter from predation.

rundrave

they are tough hardy birds, they get out and fly around to get food and pick gravel whether we flush them while hunting or not.

they know where to go to stay warm and  they no where to go after they get flushed. again its mostly about habitat and food. but all those little pheasant hotels in bent over grass and cattails they stay plenty warm. I have had dogs lock up on point in what looks like a pile of snow only to have a bird come flying out. I dont think twice about hunting in them in the winter.

• Thumbs Up 1
RoosterRedneck
On January 4, 2016 at 11:20 AM, rundrave said:

they are tough hardy birds, they get out and fly around to get food and pick gravel whether we flush them while hunting or not.

they know where to go to stay warm and  they no where to go after they get flushed. again its mostly about habitat and food. but all those little pheasant hotels in bent over grass and cattails they stay plenty warm. I have had dogs lock up on point in what looks like a pile of snow only to have a bird come flying out. I dont think twice about hunting in them in the winter.

+1

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Went out yesterday after the wake and visitation with Finn. He flushed two hens and I saw him chasing a rooster but I am not fast enough to keep up. It flushed about a hundred yards out from me. We seen one grouse but it flushed 60 yards in front of Finn and he was only 10 yards infront of me. Then Finn started going crazy so he headed into the cat tails and wow 50 or so mallards flew at me and then 7 big swans. Finn did not look happy that I just watched them. It was a fun little trip. 

Anyone else Lise out there chasing birds yet?

• 4 weeks later...
monstermoose78

Going out to look for grouse and pheasants in a bit.

monstermoose78

No birds today Finn and walked and walked nothing

• 3 weeks later...
monstermoose78

Pheasants just popped out of no where. I am seeing them everywhere 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Coleman
      Just as a note, I got on the chain Saturday around noon.  Main lakes had a skim of ice, 1/2", shallow bodies(East lake) look like the ice was actually walkable, please don't take my word for that though.     Anyways, water temps were 34*.  I didn't fish much at all, just broke up enough ice to get some new data for mapping.  I did mark quiet a few fish, which is a plus.     On another note, has anyone else noticed the large group(15-20) of beds on Horseshoe just north of the meth hole, about 8-9FOW?  I noticed these this spring, and they're still there.  Thought it was kind of interesting they'd still be there even after all the boat traffic this year.  
    • Wanderer
      Sounds like a fantastic fall!!
    • gimruis
      Smith Farms Labradors?  My 8 year old British yellow lab is from that breeder in Grove City.
    • h8go4s
      In New Mexico? Not much. In Minnesota? A little more. Wheel boat, I assume for a 50 HP on a 15' boat. Bench seats? Does the outboard run? What's wrong with the lower unit? Does the steering work? Does the throttle work? Is there a trailer?
    • Bryan P
      Went out to check some ice on one of my lakes that seems to freeze over before most. 2-3". Still early but maybe another week and ice fishing has begun for me. We'll see. Anyone else getting excited. Now only if cold weather would hurry up and come!    
    • Old Boat
      It's got a 50hp Merc that's got the lower took apart. Covered bow, tapered STEARN. Thick aircraft grade aluminum.
    • smurfy
      Thanks I know fishing, graduated with my brother, I graduated with his sister Patty. I miss chasing roosters.
    • IceHawk
      My older yellow Zoe came out of Pete Fischers Rex former owner of Fischer Kennels now with Dogtra and my newest black one Otter is from Mike Feldhege of Richmond AKA (Fishing) his male Drake and a cousins female Avery from a Grove city kennel. Both excellent dogs! both were fairly reasonable I train all my dogs myself done a few already takes a ton of time and paitence  but the rewards are worth it! My dogs are in the house with me and spend time with me in the boat and pretty much are with me all the time they are my second kids 😀  I feel this connection is what truely makes a good dog.  
    • smurfy
      Been good so far 👍 I will take you up on your offer some time.   Where did you get your young lab?? I may be in the market for one this spring as long as I don't need to take a second mortgage on the house.🥴
    • IceHawk
      Thanks Glen been busy fishing and hunting been a banner year for me in the outdoors for sure !!!  Had a phenomenal summer, fall walleye fishing, got a Buck and Doe gun season now my focus is chasing roosters as much as possible until good ice! Might be my last year in the field for my old lab as she is 13 still hunting hard but the joints arthritis are catching up to her. Plus side is my new pup 1 1/2 is really coming along great she's going to b a good one! Your more than welcome to follow me but I will warn you first you have to figure out what I'm driving. Bought a new 2020 pickup this spring with a off road  package now  you have to figure out the color and brand 😀🤣 Seriously anytime your more than welcome to join me just holler Hope retirement is treating you right. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.