• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tell me about your Ice castle rattle reel setup.  How far off the floor do you have them? Pros, cons?  Also if there are any "must do" upgrades a person should do?

rustysetter
1 hour ago, MudEyes said:

Tell me about your Ice castle rattle reel setup.  How far off the floor do you have them? Pros, cons?  Also if there are any "must do" upgrades a person should do?

I put mine high enough so I don't have to bend over to reach the line when I want to move the line or jig them. Also if you use hole covers having them higher reduces the angle to the center of the cover where the line goes through. Will you be using it for over nights and weekends or is it primarily a day usage? Do you have an emergency kit? Spare regulator, cables if needed, jack, fuses I carry an extra heater (buddy style) .

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Rob Wilson Sr.
      By Rob Wilson Sr.
      FOR SALE
      2017 custom built "Skate Shack"
      19 feet long by 8 feet wide, a prize from the Minnesota Wild. Originally intended as a portable warming house/skate shack, It would not take much to convert into an ice house. Built on a drop down trailer frame
      Includes
      Electronic fireplace with remote
      (The lighting and fire change colors)
      42" television
      Sound bar
      Granite counter tops
      LED red and green pulse party lighting
      Minnesota wild branding throughout.  
      EDCO Arrowline Shake steel roofing
      Range Red Royal Celect premium vinyl siding.
      Interior cedar tongue-and-groove siding
      Torched cedar cabinetry and leather seats. 
      Convert it to a fish house, have it as a warming house or maybe the ultimate back yard man cave escape.  
      asking $15,000 or best offer.  PM for further details.  Currently it is sitting in Savage, MN.

I have more images if you would like to see.

[email protected]

• Cobber
      By Cobber
      Team Lodge Fish House, Toy Hauler, Loaded & Solar Panel (MANY Extras!)
      6.5 x 14' (Plus 3' Front V)

$15,250
      No Liens, Clean Title

3740 LB (Cat Scale Weighed)

Sunforce 100 Watt Crystalline Solar Panel (Installed on Roof)
      Solar Charge Controller (12v, 10amp)

Spray Foam Insulation
      Black Rubber Floor (great shape- no cuts)
      Interior: Cedar Paneling / Trim
      Two 72" Overhead Cabinets
      Cargo Nets under Cupboards, on Front Shelf
      Range Hood w/ LED Undermount Lights
      (2) 24" x 36" Safety Windows
      Blackout Blinds on Windows
      RV Door & Screen Door (with Window)
      Rear Wire Fold-down Shelves for Tons of Extra Storage

54" x 72" Ramp Drop Door (Spring Assisted Lift)
      New Tires (Jan 2018)
      LED Trailer Lighting
      Exterior Flood Lights (Side & Rear)
      Exterior 12v Lights (over doors)
      Interior Floor Tie-Downs
      Upgraded 2500# Tongue Winch (new 2017)

Forced Air 20,000 BTU Furnace
      3-Burner Cooktop & Oven

8 Fishing Holes
      Catch Covers on each Fishing Hole
      Hole Lighting (on each hole)

Jensen Stereo
      Exterior Speakers
      Interior Speakers
      HD Antenna
      12v Outlets (with USB Plugs & Cigarette Port)
      110v Outlets
      Master Battery Disconnect
      Smoke / CO2 Detectors
      TV Wall Mount Installed
      Fire Extinguisher (Mounted)
      Propane Regulator with Auto-Changeover (2 Tank System)

30x85" Fold-down Bunk (on side)
      Rear Fold Down Bunk / Dinette
      Custom Snap-in Thermal Cover (Ramp Door)
      Custom Snap-in Thermal Covers (Side Windows)
      Custom Snap-in Thermal Cover (Door's Window)
      Custom-Made Rear Screen w/ Zipper (by Canvas Craft), for $203
      One Piece Rubber Roofing

Excel Outdoors- External Cutting Board / Table Holder

Spare Tire

Call, Text or Email and I'll get back to you as quickly as possible about the Fishhouse.
      I'll delete the ad when the Ice Shack is sold.

Thanks,
      Michael

• Jake Zeleznikar
      By Jake Zeleznikar
      I'm looking into insurance options for an Ice House and wondering what advice or recommendations anyone has on the best type of coverage. Also, if I want to be able to rent out my ice house when I'm not using it but not as an "outfitter" or "guide" would that be something that typical coverage wouldn't cover if a profit is being made since I wouldn't have the coverage that a company running as an outfitter would have? (Such as how normal car insurance doesn't cover an Uber driver when they are logged into the app and giving someone a ride because they are consequently on the road more often and making a profit.) Any and all information or recommendations would be extremely helpful!
    • Savage Brewer
      By Savage Brewer
      Looking for some recommendations for cabins or other good places to stay on Vermilion.  Hoping to take my wife up for a weekend of ice fishing and then later this summer taking dad up for a while, so I am looking to see where the locals would recommend staying for either season.  For the winter season it would be nice to find a place that also has ice houses to rent, or possibly someone who rents sleeper fish houses as I would love to get on some night bite action.  For a place in the summer it would be nice to have either slips or a ramp onsite.  Pretty open to ideas at this point.

Thank you 
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• SkunkedAgain
      I'm in Black Bay, which in a typical year is no more than 6 feet deep (5ft this year!) so it's one of the first places to freeze along with all of the other shallow bays. My rule of thumb has always been to plan on trips through the end of October, open water in November is a pleasant gift. This year is obviously a little different at the moment.   I am hoping for that warm up....maybe I should just sit tight for a week and not push trying to get up there this weekend.
    • matt320
      I have the JMX5000 thermal hub with the floor attachment its a nice hub warm and easy to set up. 
    • mulefarm
      Ice fishing by Halloween?
    • JerkinLips
      I couldn't find ice-in data on Lake Vermilion  but mid-November is typical.  Usually occurs during firearms deer hunting but has occurred at the beginning and end of November.  May occasionally deviate outside of November.  Would be interesting to see the data.
    • gimruis
    • FishinCT
      Our group has been going up early to mid October for years but have also done September. You will likely catch more fish in October but weather is hit or miss. Example is this year...we were up this past weekend and it was miserable. Snowed every day and highs in mid 30s. Last year we were up the same weekend and fished in sweatshirts. That’s the gamble you have to take with October. We just don’t have the choice for now.    Edit: FWIW I’ve had plenty of bad/windy days in September too. But the bad in October are worse. 
    • BigVwalters
      @Austin12345 Mid November Id say 
    • Austin12345
      When do you guys get ice up there on a normal year was up by sawbill a week and a half ago water was pretty chilly
    • Darrell Larson
      As far as I can see west of Duffy Island towards the Houseboats in Pike Bay it skimmed over with ice last night. Not saying it's going to stay. Just saying it has ice.
    • gimruis
      Long range forecast has 50 degrees by deer opener.  I highly doubt winter is already here to stay.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.