• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I know of at least one crazy person who has already punched a hole in some shallow water in search of fish.  I noticed 371 Bay of N. Long was mostly frozen over, as was Nisswa today.  Any other reports of smaller lakes skimmed over?

240 views     0   replies.

Man this site is going down hill.  Used to be full of information and people talking about fishing.  What happened?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thats an easy answer... Too many guys getting burned. I have a very tight lip when it comes to good spots. Why should I want to give away too much info?  I may share a lake name, size, depth, and presentation, but that is about it. If the crappies are hitting on a small lake, I won't be disclosing the lake. I made that mistake 3 years ago on my favorite crappie lake. I was getting consistent numbers of 12-13" fish. I rarely took more than a meal home and within a few weeks, there were a dozen or more houses on top of me and half of them were quite rude.  Last year, I couldn't hardly find a crappie worth keeping.  If you want to know where the fish are biting the best, sometimes getting out and punching holes and putting the time in.   Don't get me wrong, I completely understand being able to come to a site like this and gather information for a place to start, but many anglers are getting as tight lipped as me on any details. If I can look at the feed for URL, LOW, or even Superior and see the fish are biting in a certain depth on a certain bait, I will find my own fish.  Searching for them and being unsuccessful makes it fishing.  Searching for them, finding them and catching them makes you a fisherman.  

Good luck to everyone out there and stay on the right side of the ice!

• Thumbs Up 2

Totally agree.  But you can share without giving away secrets.  You just did.  I was simply wondering if anyone found any ice to fish.  I'll find my own ice, and when I do, I'll share the conditions.  Not the bite

• Thumbs Up 2

Soooooo......Has anyone heard of or know any lakes around the area with walkable ice yet? Getting kinda anxious to get out there lol

20151130_164951.thumb.jpg.70870c0b69e81220151130_164945.thumb.jpg.2b1943db8fc809Just went to rice lake at lum park and seen its frozen over and there were some holes drilled, checked out the ice thickness and it was about 3 1/2 inches. So we're getting close lol

Ya know iv never ice fished rice lake but I would like to but on gull navionics it didn't look like it held many fish. I checked steamboat bay on gull today and it had just over an inch. Lower south long bay is fishable but but not but not the mouth where i usually fish walleyes this time of year. I'm laid off till Christmas so I'd like to get as much time on the ice as I can. Has anyone ever fished the lakes in pillsberry. There has got to be some nice pan fish.

Any info on fishing rice??

Drill a lot of holes.  And stay away from people.  Decent crappies and sunnies.  Occasionally a big pike.

rice gets hit pretty hard, i've stayed away from it. did hear a rumor that pillager had fishable ice

totally agree with the forum traffic, its not just this one, just in general. Micah is right, when these forums first appeared, they gave guys great insight on reports and such but we got too specific with locations, so all the work was being pillaged by other guys just doing a quick search on the forum. I still think this can be useful to give a general idea on the bite in an area, but people shy away from it in general.

Edited by Jmnhunter
  • Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone know of any fishable ice between baxter and walker , any kind of ice at all ?

Thanks Mike

On 11/30/2015, 6:40:59, minten said:

Has anyone ever fished the lakes in Pillsbury. There has got to be some nice pan fish.

YES and its good! the harder you work the more you will be rewarded! 

On 11/30/2015, 6:40:59, minten said:

Haven't seen much ice as we have been tipping into the 40's during the day so it's keeping the ice making at a minimum.  Hopefully with some forecasted lows in the teens next week we can finally have an ice season.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well I am out at rice lake here in Brainerd and there are about 5 people out on the ice fishing, they say there's 4 inches out here I guess20151209_144212.thumb.jpg.8e59adba2d1a32

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone ice fish Ossawinnamakee.  We have reserved a lot at a rv park for this summer and I have never been on the lake.  Might want to go up there this winter and give it a try.

Saw a portable on the 371 bay of North Long today.  I would think that with the cooler temps coming up, that there will be a lot of good ice to be found.  Hopefully the lakes lock up during a lull in snow fall.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed , the last thing we need this winter is 6" of good ice and then a 8" wet heavy snowfall. After waiting all this time we need NO more bad luck for the ice fishing season once it actually starts.  Mike

Was out on rice lake this past Sunday.   about 250 yards away from Lum Park beach and got into sunfish and crappies and manage the 15 inch walleye.   There was about 3 1/2 inches of ice.   Everything came on plastics!

I heard there is 4 to 4.5 inches of ice in 371 bay.  Can anyone confirm this?   I'm thinking about driving up there for a day trip.  

East end of Lake Alexander has a pretty consistent 3-4" of ice as of this morning.  Some people fishing, be very, very careful folks.

We also checked some Smaller lakes in the area and the ice is all over the place.  From 1.5"-6".  Be very cautious if there is any snow on the ice as this is were we would find 1.5"-2.5" of ice, just feet away from 4".

Again. Be careful.

I took this photo a few minutes ago from our deck. Very deep lake near Walker. Just for reference on what you could run into. Dec 24 130pm

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

As of 12-27 Lake Edward had 5-6 inches of ice in most of SW bay but only 3" or less outside of bay.  Also had some slush in first 50 yards from shoreline.  Across the road, Mollie had 3-6 inches of ice and no one has tried crossing with snowmobiles over to Paul Bunyan trail yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I ice fished Friday the first time on my little lake near Xlake. Was about 4-5.5" then. Caught some crappie, nothing big, but lots.

Saturday I spent time prepping an area to put out our perm shack (clearing ice to help the low temps thicken it). By Sunday it was 5-6 inches. Also cleared path from buddies shore to the spot Sat, and it was 6-7.5" in other side of the lake, but only 4" (good clear ice) by a sandbar. Sunday I drilled holes and checked ice, and followed up with the atv later. 

There is lots of slush near anywhere where somebody drilled holes prior to Sunday, and about 5-6" under the slush. I think I will be able to pull our shack out next Friday, maybe even thursday if I get up there early enough. Not sure I will venture far off my cleared path though, unless on sled with studs.

This is a small lake, not sure how the large lakes are doing.

Don't know if this helps , but Lake Ada in Pine River had only 4 " of ice as of yesterday afternoon. that lake would be north and west of cross lake area.

Any one atving out yet around the Platte/Camp lake area? Was up there 2 weeks ago and had 3 inches of clear ice just curious if we can bring atvs this weekend.

Thanks for any info.