• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

new to the Brainerd area

Hey guys I'm new to the Brainerd area and am really looking to do some ice fishing this year and am just wondering where the best places are around here? Also would like to meet up with some people when we have enough ice and get some fishing in. Names Jeff 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Welcome to the forum.

Go up 371 to Sportland bait behind Schaefer's Foods and talk to Jason. Or he will start posting ice fishing reports on here once the ice gets good. ;)

S & W Bait just south of Nisswa is another great starting point. Welcome to Fishing MN Jeff. Feel free to PM me, not likely to get my spots broadcasted. I've fished the area for several decades, and own property in Nisswa.  

Yikes, that makes me feel so old now. LOL.

Welcome!  I live in Pequot and fish all over around Nisswa, Pequot, Brainerd.  Feel free to PM with any questions.  As far as bait shops, I'll put my vote in for Hot Spot in Nisswa by Subway.  Not always the most detailed info, but enough to get by and the bait is the best around and priced right IMO.  You cannot go wrong with the others mentioned either.  Jason is great at Sportland.  Good luck out there.

Welcome Jeff!  All the places mentioned are great starts, but don't expect a ton of info. My best advice is take the info from the bait shops and get a good GPS program, I use Lakemaster on my unit as well as Navionics on my cell. Look for key areas like inside turns, feeder flats, points, and transition areas. If you would like more info, drop me a PM and let me know what you're looking for.  Good luck!

Welcome to the area.  Hopefully we'll get some ice for you soon.  We have still been hunting a little and just waiting.  There are a lot of options in the area.  Typically the smaller lakes are a great place to check early.  That bite is usually a mixed bag of walleyes, northerns, and crappies.  Our best walleye action is on the bigger lakes like Gull, Pelican, North Long, Round, and Whitefish.  We just need to be safe.  Please stop in sometime and we can do our best to help you with the current conditions and how the bite is.  There are so many lakes, we just try our best to stay on top of it.  Good luck! I hope you catch them.

Jason Erlandson

• Thumbs Up 3

Wishing you the best of luck this ice fishing season , with that said depending how far north of the Brainerd / Baxter area you plan to go another great spot for info would be Swansons in Hackensack. I do a fair amount of ice fishing around that area and could give you some Info if you needed. Thanks Mike

PS: Lets all Pray for Ice Soon