• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I just moved to the Princeton mn area about 5 minutes from green lake. I only ice fish and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to go. 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

What are you looking for? I feel I have a solid knowledge of the ice fishing around Princeton and I am always willing to help someone out.

Keep a eye on this area    Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports - Hunting

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, monstermoose78 said:

What are you looking for? I feel I have a solid knowledge of the ice fishing around Princeton and I am always willing to help someone out.

Keep a eye on this area    Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports - Hunting

I'm mainly after crappie and blugille but I also will go after pike at times of Its a good bite

I can help with that. I am sure of it because I am a Gill nut and enjoy crappies

Green is a good crappie lake with a bonus walleye once in a while. Little Elk Lake can be a good choice for gills and pike.  South Stanchfield had some winter kills and is still recovering. I heard of some crappies being caught but not very many. Lori lake is another good choice for mixed bag of gills, crappies, pike, and walleye bonus. Long Lake south on 47 has been hot for crappies last winter. You are in a good location for hitting many lakes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Awesome thank you much. I will try all those lakes. I do love getting Crappies. Anything north more? Around dalbo? 

Lori Lake is north near the town of Day. Ann Lake north of highway 23 can be good. Knife Lake in Mora. There is some more lakes if you head east towards Cambridge. Skogman is a good crappie lake as well.  Dalbo only has Stanchfields near it and they both took huge winter kills. I seen thousands of fish dead in both north and south, I know some who fished it and it was not good. I would say in 2 or 3 years it should have some better fishing again maybe.

Ok good to know. I was told about knife lake by a coworker,  I'm gonna try that one for sure. I'm also gonna try finding those smaller lakes that don't get a lot of traffic..I love the peace of being on a quite lake

58 minutes ago, jjack said:

Ok good to know. I was told about knife lake by a coworker,  I'm gonna try that one for sure. I'm also gonna try finding those smaller lakes that don't get a lot of traffic..I love the peace of being on a quite lake

Lakes around this area get a lot of traffic for the most part. It is the down side of being close to the metro, but you can find some nice fish. I catch a few big crappies every winter and that is over 13 inches for me. I normally get some 10 inch plus gills as well please release them big gills when you find them. You will find enough 7-8 inchers to eat. Last year the biggest Pike I caught was a 36 incher, but fish over 40 are caught.  When there is 5-6 inches of ice I will be out fishing. 

23 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Lakes around this area get a lot of traffic for the most part. It is the down side of being close to the metro, but you can find some nice fish. I catch a few big crappies every winter and that is over 13 inches for me. I normally get some 10 inch plus gills as well please release them big gills when you find them. You will find enough 7-8 inchers to eat. Last year the biggest Pike I caught was a 36 incher, but fish over 40 are caught.  When there is 5-6 inches of ice I will be out fishing. 

Yes I agree I will throw back the big ones. I'm waiting for 6 inches of ice to. Hope it comes soon

• 2 weeks later...

hey jack I also live 2 min from the north access of green. Have fished this area all my life. Been gone for the last five years in the army and spent some time in Texas after that. Just moved back in October. Last time I was here it was Christmas of 2013 and I slammed the fish for the two weeks I was here. Really good time. All lakes mentioned above all have potential. I can put u on some fish on green no problem as long as you can keep it to yourself. Also yes in the winter there is a city on that lake. Also I have another small lake with low traffic I want to check out and pick apart this winter if you would be interested in joining. Searching for big crappies.

also have already been out on ice in the area. Not safe enough yet but still had to wet a line haha.

V__428D(1).jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

@crappie king 42 Glad you got off the ice to make a report. Thank you for postings and welcome to the site. Please continue to post and I will be reporting as soon as we get 5-6 inches of ice. Hope to see you out on the area lakes.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
On December 11, 2015 at 7:40:55 AM, jskeff said:

get the navionics app and look where ppl mark where they caught fish. works for me and i share the wealth

I have the app but am not sure how to do this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2015 at 0:56 AM, crappie king 42 said:

hey jack I also live 2 min from the north access of green. Have fished this area all my life. Been gone for the last five years in the army and spent some time in Texas after that. Just moved back in October. Last time I was here it was Christmas of 2013 and I slammed the fish for the two weeks I was here. Really good time. All lakes mentioned above all have potential. I can put u on some fish on green no problem as long as you can keep it to yourself. Also yes in the winter there is a city on that lake. Also I have another small lake with low traffic I want to check out and pick apart this winter if you would be interested in joining. Searching for big crappies.

also have already been out on ice in the area. Not safe enough yet but still had to wet a line haha.

V__428D(1).jpg

Yes I would love for you to show Me some areas! Sorry for the late reply!

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone new to princeton and actually a pretty inexperienced Fisher we just got a boat 19 foot looking for places around here I do alot during the week its something I took up with my 6 year old he loves to fish a ton but honestly dont know alot about it. I try to get him out to have a great time since he has a heart defect and honestly kust a great bonding time. I have tries green and little elk with few or no results anyone here willing to point us to a good direction and give some tips and pointers? Thanks for your time. 

Go to spots in that area is Green right around the point along the weed edges or even in the weeds you will find crappies and sunnies.  Blue Lake is a good crappie lake again fishing the weed edges.  I like to use gulp alive 2.5" minnows.  Spectacle is a good bass lake.  Good Luck

Hey Jerry I don't know if you are into bass fishing but Green, Elk, Blue, and Spectacle lake are all pretty good.  Green is a little bigger and can get significantly busier with recreational riff raff though.  You'll likely run into a few accidental pike along the way.  Can't help you with the panfish or walleyes in that area as I do not target them.

Walleyes around here now are harder to get. Panfish are easy to come by same as bass.

The best walleye spot around here is the rum river or Mille lacs for numbers. Yes green, blue, spec, little elk, and Lori lakes have walleyes but you normally don’t catch more than a few per trip tops. Those same lakes have much better panfish populations. Send me a message or check out the Central Minnesota Fishing Club here. 

• 1 month later...

Fishing been a little slower - Not like in June / July -  all a guy had to do is throw anything out to catch them.  Now we are in a more finesse bite for bass, sure you can throw docks and get a few ... but for me that is not a challenge.  been having fun catching the deeper water fish such as Bass, Pike and pannies.   love to target deep weed finger points as you can catch some nice ones.   Been trolling some deep cranks that have been a blast trolling the deeper weed lines.   ONE TIME YOU GO OUT AND BAM!!   next time slow action .... hence the dog days of August.   The fish can still be caught early and late on the top of weed lines but alot are in shallow under pads or deep unless you got strong winds(favorite time) or heavy clouds.   bright sun and calm ... think deep  

Fish on!

Cret

• Thumbs Up 1

Forget the lakes people.  Head to a river.  The smallmouth bite is on fire right now and you don't need to finesse them in any way.  Just throw a topwater and get ready for a violent strike following by a battle!

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed it’s always to get em on top water. I have even got some walleyes on top water.

I haven't caught many walleyes in there lately but the water is really warm and pretty clear now so I don't really expect to.  If I spent more time in a deeper hole using a slower technique I could probably catch a couple.  With the lack of rain lately, the river level has leveled off nicely to an even flow too.  I do catch an occasional pike in there, and it seems they always hang out in the areas with less current.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 1

When the frogs start migrating hang on. Come fall the frogs start to

move to the wintering areas and that means fish the rum with a frog. 

• 1 month later...

Pike very active with 6-12 feet running crank baits ... also Bass !!   Been using various crank runners some off deeper weed lines 12-15 feet.    Fun trolling and having to stop because the rod was smacked hard ?  

Cret

Edited by Cret Jigs

• 4 weeks later...

Walleyes are snapping on the rum

I was out 2 weeks ago from today and it was still pretty good.  Water temp was 54.  I don't plan to go again now because my boat is winterized.  My Father said it has been miserable the past week because the water got so cold so quick.  It looks decent this week for weather but deer season is fast approaching so I have to prepare for that now.