• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

7 Ice Fishing Facts To Help You Catch Early Season Panfish

Rick

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Matt-Johnson-Crappie-2-1024x761.jpgHave you ever wondered why crappies and sunfish, during early season ice fishing aren't in the same locations as they were the previous year. Maybe you had an experience where you were on an awesome bite one day and the next everything was gone. What happened?

Here are some clues and a number of facts that may help you and if you want to factor them into your ice fishing equation maybe these pieces of the puzzle make your ice fishing season more enjoyable.

7 Ice Fishing Facts To Help You Catch Early Season Panfish

What do YOU think?

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I found a few folks out ice fishing in the Brainerd area and a bit south. Also received a nice pic from Chad Peterson of HSM icing a walleye.

received_892785540829604.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Bvickers
      By Bvickers
      Bring some friends up to Vermilion around Oct 16th this year. They are dead set on crappie fishing. I know no one here will say where to go crappie fishing, but I have an idea and they don't mind a day on the water hunting for a school. Just wondering if the bite is there that time of year to make chasing worth the effort. I usually drag them trolling for trout and they want something that's a little more exciting.
    • klee103
      By klee103
      How are the lakes across southern Minnesota? 
      Do they "green" up with the summer heat?
      Are there any lakes you would recommend for sunfish, crappie or perch?  
      Looking to do a day trip or 2 this fall to somewhere from Fairmont to Mankato.

Any recommendations?
      Thanks!
    • AlanS
      By AlanS
      Hey all,

I am new here obviously, but I recently learned how many fish the DNR kill off every year with those surveys. I've never started a petition for anything before, but here's my attempt to get that to stop. https://www.change.org/KillingFishMN

This is not about the big lakes. To me it is the same as trying to manage deer by digging a pit in the woods to see what falls in and dies- Wisconsin pretty much gave it up and we should as well.

I know some DNR guy is going to get on here and say it is for consistent data, and that it only happens every few years on the smaller lakes. It should not happen at all. Every 10 years and the best fish in the lake might still be dead in that net, just to have a fancy survey. Heres what a survey should look like. https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/LakeDetail.aspx?wbic=967200

If there are already petitions and groups out there trying to change this I would like to get involved,

A
    • jim curlee
      By jim curlee
      Took the grandson up to Elephant yesterday.
      We fished about 4 hours, we caught bluegill after bluegill the whole time we were on the water, where ever we went.
      I don't think we had one over 8"s.

What doesn't make sense to me is why they put a limit of 10, on the sunfish.
      I'm no biologist, but I think they should let you take more than the state limit, but put a slot in place.
      They might get some quality fish with a slot, but the way it is now, the lake is over populated with 6" bluegills, which are great for grandkids, me not so much.
      We don't keep those bigger bluegills, we love catching them, but there are so few now a days, that you have to release them too.

Went to another lake last night, there we caught some nice gills, about 15 the size that Austin is holding, all were returned to the lake.
      Most of the bonus walleyes went back too, there's a couple in the fridge. lol 

• Skill-lessWanderer
      By Skill-lessWanderer
      Heading out for 5 days of Crappie fishing on Bad Axe Lake this coming Friday. We did really well last year catching more than we could possibly want and more than enough to eat. What I was wondering was with Memorial Day falling a week later and the unusual spring weather we’ve had, if anyone is noticing a big difference in the location of Crappies this year compared to last year? Should they still be super shallow on the small lakes like last year or are they already sliding deeper with how warm it got earlier than past years? Thanks in advance! Also looking forward to boating around and seeing the Muskies basking in the sun and a much needed break from work by spending time with the family doing what we love.
    • macgruber
      By macgruber
      Heading up this weekend to camp at onegume with the family- wife and two kids under 10, and the dog.  Just looking for tips on where fish might be found/best tactics this time of year.  I’ve never been to the area and would love to try for some walleye, but with kids, panfish might be the better option as patience tends to run a bit short at times.  I have a 16’ flat bottomed alumacraft, so won’t be venturing out on the big lake, just looking for a few ideas to keep the kids engaged and maybe have one small fish fry.  Thanks in advance for any help!

• eyeguy 54
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      I went out to Medicine lake yesterday and there were dead panfish discarded all over the place. I don't know who or why but it was such a waste, plus one little sunny was obviously cut up as bait... And then I found a huge PILE of about 20 fish behind a building. There are signs posted and reminders everywhere, only 5 panfish/crappies per person. This looked deliberate, like a middle finger to authority.
      I was furious and now I'm just sad. I took pictures and I want to do something about it but I have no idea what. ?
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      Hey all! Tomorrow (Apr 3rd) I'm taking some friends out to do some fishing. We usually target rivers, and live around the metro, but I'm willing to drive a ways to find good spots. No boat, so this would be shore fishing.
      We aren't after anything specific but would be nice to get something to fry up later! Which of course means targeting legal fish like carp, suckers, cats, panfish, etc. 
    • BobT
      By BobT
      I have very little experience using wax worms and one of the problems I have with them is keeping them alive between fishing trips. When I buy them, I usually find them in a little plastic container and the bait shop has them refrigerated. With that in mind, I tried refrigerating them at home but in a very short time I find my container full of black dead worms. I've tried just keeping them in my basement where it is cooler but not as cold as a refrigerator and maybe got another day or two out of them. Keeping them in a warm place didn't work any better either. 

Is there a better way to keep them at home? Is the containers that they are in too small for any longer term storage perhaps? What bedding options are available that may help? 

Thanks.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• scrapeliner27
      Are these shells still for sale?
    • monstermoose78
      Finn and Hazel watching me like a hawk as have treats.
    • monstermoose78
      I heard some divers are showing up so I will go try for those
    • Wanderer
      Keep looking and sooner or later even a blind squirrel finds a nut.
    • Wanderer
      Very, very few ducks in Ely today.  4 grouse seen with only 1 coming back to camp.   I literally saw more fish today than birds.  And I skipped the fishing gear this time! 😒
    • monstermoose78
      Finn and I hiked the river in Sherburne and only saw 5 swans. 1000 cranes and not one duck or goose.  Saw some guys looking in the grass and they said they dropped a woodduck and Finn found it for them. Boy Finn was mad when I gave them the duck. 
    • JBMasterAngler
      Fished Black Brook Flowage (Apple River) today. This is my kinda lake! Very few houses, small little boat launch. Only caught 2 little pike. Missed a small Muskie, and seen a mid 30’s hovering under the boat. Was tough dealing with the wind, but I like this place. Fishing below the dam with waders is a possibility also. 
    • Wanderer
      I’d like to know what you have also.
    • jerkin'm
      I posted some of my not needed ammo on IDO…I could use some steel if you have it too…
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A really good week of fall walleye fishing.  Big numbers of fish being caught.  It should only improve as water temps get cooler.  This fall has been unseasonably warm. Big numbers of walleyes and saugers are set up along the south shore and anglers are catching a lot of fish.   Most anglers are anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner.  Live shiners are available and effective.  There are still a lot of walleyes being caught on spinners with minnows surprisingly.  Trolling crankbaits has also been catching a lot of fish. The best reports are coming from 18-28 feet of water across the south shore in areas such as Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Graceton Beach, Long Point and Rocky Point.  Various schools within these depths.  In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch, sturgeon and even a few crappies are in the mix for walleye anglers.  On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River and more and more walleyes are entering the river each week.  Fishing has picked up but most believe when water temps reach the 40's, it will get even better.  Currently, temps are in the low 50's. Jigging with a frozen or live shiner, is the go to method.  Emerald shiners are tough to beat this time of year.  Some reports of big fish being caught, but not in big numbers... yet.   Sturgeon activity continues good.  A gob of crawlers and/or frozen shiners on a sturgeon rig (18 inch leader made of 60lb test, circle hook and a 2-3 ounce no roll sinker) is the ticket.  The catch and release season continues through April 23, 2022. Up at the NW Angle...   Fall fishing up at the Angle continues to be excellent.  Most anglers are using a jig and minnow or jig and plastic.  Some strong reports with warmer than normal water of spinners with a minnow or plastic being the hot bait.  Gold, pink and/or glow colored jigs and spinners are doing well.  Reminder, no live, frozen or dead bait being able to be transported over the border from the U.S. into Canada, consequently anglers boating into Ontario waters reporting various plastics on their jigs and spinners working great. Various areas of structure such as points, reefs and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold good fish.  12 - 26 feet is the range depending upon the spot.   Big crappies are in their fall spots and being caught on jigs and minnows in 25-30' around various structure. Muskie anglers report good fishing overall.  Trollers reporting mixed results.  One day is great, the other not so much.  Covering water trolling is a strong fall muskie technique and should get better as water cools.    Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.   Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.