• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
MuntzAngling

Organic meat market with deer processing?

MuntzAngling

I've searched online with no luck! My wife insists I take any deer this year to a meat market that will mix with organic pork. Hopefully someone here has been to one they could recommend. Ideally not too far out of the way of my travels from Finlayson to Saint Paul.

eyeguy 54

do you already have the pork or need to buy it also?  might help somebody figure it out for you. 

throw a post in the cooking thread. 

Pigmeat

You will be hard pressed to find certified organic pork anywhere I can think of. There are some small producers around that use basically organic practices, though. Also, I've never heard of an "organic" meat market per se. Some processors do process organic, but hard to find and expensive. I would look for good quality, local and natural pork and take it to a processor you really trust. Even better, do it yourself. By the way, I work in the meat dept of a natural foods coop in the Cities :)  Any natural foods coop would be a good source for quality, happy pork.

• Thumbs Up 1

charliepete

No problem Muntz.  Take your deer to Osseo Meat's, or Brother's Meats, Everett's Meat Market, or any of the Von Hanson's.  To my knowledge none of these places have organic pork to mix with deer, but there is no reason to tell your wife that.  Make sure you tell her it cost an extra $100 more than normal to have the deer processed (save that extra $100 for a couple nice box of cigars for the deer shack next year).  If your wife is really suspicious of you, maybe order a stamper or print out some labels that say organic on them and slap them on all the packages.

My wife is convinced she can taste the difference between rail vodka and Grey Goose vodka in a Bloody Mary.  She most definitely can't.  "Yes dear....I definitely overpaid $10 to sooth your imagination".  

On a serious note.....if I was really trying to have that done I would talk to Clancy's Meats in Linden HIlls.  They have a lot of organic stuff and cater to the hipster crowd.  I can't recall if process deer though.  You are trying to collide 2 worlds my friend.

• Thumbs Up 1

nofishfisherman

Your best bet is to do it yourself.  You'll easily be able to buy a reasonable grinder and anything else you'll need for less than you'll pay someone to process a deer and mix it with organic pork.  Any place that is willing and able to do it will probably be marking it up pretty significantly over your standard processing fees.

If you haven't processed a deer yourself its really not that difficult.  It just takes a little time and effort.  Personally I find it enjoyable.  I like being involved in bringing the animal from the field to the table so that I know exactly how it was handed.  Somehow I also sorta feel like I owe it to the animal to do the work myself.  After all i shot it, the least I can do is do the work myself to get it table ready.

• Thumbs Up 1

Farmsfulltime
On Thursday, November 12, 2015 9:30:33, MuntzAngling said:

I've searched online with no luck! My wife insists I take any deer this year to a meat market that will mix with organic pork. Hopefully someone here has been to one they could recommend. Ideally not too far out of the way of my travels from Finlayson to Saint Paul.

How did  search for an organic market go, Cant help but think deer are not organic  they consume GMO crops sprayed ,fertilized non organic, just saying

• Thumbs Up 1

MJ1657
2 hours ago, Farmsfulltime said:

How did  search for an organic market go, Cant help but think deer are not organic  they consume GMO crops sprayed ,fertilized non organic, just saying

So do lots of animals on organic farms.....