• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
79LumaCraft

Use bow to fill gun tag during gun season?

leechlake

ozzie on a related topic could a guy bring two muzzleloaders out and sit in the stand with both?  I know elk hunting in a state where the hunter would bring two guns.  Seemed at odd with the spirit of using a "primitive weapon" but it was legal in that state.

schmoe147
On 12/14/2015 at 8:53 AM, Hoyt4 said:

From the DNR today

No you cannot. That is considered a mixed weapon, and that is not allowed. You will need to choose one or the other.

MNDNR Information Center

500 Lafayette Rd

St. Paul, MN 55155-4040

651-296-6157

1-888-646-6367

This is funny, I've asked this very question for carrying a bow and gun. I was told as long as I'm licensed for both and both seasons are open it is completely legal. Now where do we go for questions when we've been told two different answers for the same question ?

ZachD
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:44 PM, schmoe147 said:

This is funny, I've asked this very question for carrying a bow and gun. I was told as long as I'm licensed for both and both seasons are open it is completely legal. Now where do we go for questions when we've been told two different answers for the same question ?

I know this is old but I will answer it anyway

It says in black and white in the regulation book.

• Except those licensed to carry a concealed weapon, a person may not take deer by archery while in possession of a firearm.

So unless you have a ccw you better not have a firearm on you while bow hunting

schmoe147
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:07 AM, ZachD said:

I know this is old but I will answer it anyway

It says in black and white in the regulation book.

• Except those licensed to carry a concealed weapon, a person may not take deer by archery while in possession of a firearm.

So unless you have a ccw you better not have a firearm on you while bow hunting

I was told as long as both seasons are Open( Archery and Firearm) and I have a valid license for each (Archery and Firearm) both can be in possession.  The regulation book is a reference. they ultimately go off statues. I email all my questions and ask for an answer from someone who can legally answer the question. What you are referring to in the regulation book is carrying a gun during archery seaon alone. Yes that is illegal without a CC.

ZachD
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, schmoe147 said:

I was told as long as both seasons are Open( Archery and Firearm) and I have a valid license for each (Archery and Firearm) both can be in possession.  The regulation book is a reference. they ultimately go off statues. I email all my questions and ask for an answer from someone who can legally answer the question. What you are referring to in the regulation book is carrying a gun during archery seaon alone. Yes that is illegal without a CC.

The only reason they allow you to have a gun while archery hunting deer is if you have a ccw. They did this because if they didn't it would impede on your rights to carry.

Thank you for contacting the Minnesota DNR.

You are correct, your friend is not. Even having both licenses, a person can't have both weapons with them at the same time. That person would need to choose which weapon and license to use, can’t do both hunts with both weapons at the same time.

Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions either by email or by calling 888-646-6367 M-F 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and on Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

schmoe147
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:17 PM, ZachD said:

The only reason they allow you to have a gun while archery hunting deer is if you have a ccw. They did this because if they didn't it would impede on your rights to carry.

Thank you for contacting the Minnesota DNR.

You are correct, your friend is not. Even having both licenses, a person can't have both weapons with them at the same time. That person would need to choose which weapon and license to use, can’t do both hunts with both weapons at the same time.

Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions either by email or by calling 888-646-6367 M-F 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and on Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m

I've already Contacted the DNR on this exact issue ,  The answer I was given was, Its Legal as long as I'm licensed for both.both seasons are open and I have a valid tag for both.

Edited by schmoe147

ZachD
1 hour ago, schmoe147 said:

I've already Contacted the DNR on this exact issue ,  The answer I was given was, Its Legal as long as I'm licensed for both.both seasons are open and I have a valid tag for both.

Well I hope for your sake you have that email printed if you do it because it is illegal.

schmoe147
11 hours ago, ZachD said:

Well I hope for your sake you have that email printed if you do it because it is illegal.

I sure do, I email all my questions, a phone call does nothing. I have learned this the hard way, I now email every question I have so I have documentation.

Edited by schmoe147

Wanderer

I'm still trying to figure out why you'd want to carry both during F/A season.

I asked the same question awhile back about carrying a shotgun and ML on the last weekend of 3B and recall being told I needed to pick one or the other.

Now, when it comes to carrying two of the same weapon, it's been OK.

And just to confuse things even more, it's also been legal to carry a bird gun and deer gun during those overlapping seasons as you're licensed for both.  Heck, it's even been OK to carry slugs and bird shot on your pheasant drives - even mixed in your gun!  You just can't have dogs in the field with you when doing so.

I buy a license for all 3 deer seasons and understand the desire to get a bow kill over a gun kill, but honestly if it were that important, I wouldn't (and haven't at times) even purchased the F/A license and been much happier.