• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

BIG TURTLE LAKE – ARCADIA LODGE FAMILY VACATION 7/24-7/31/2015

Hi - My brother DanK and 3 other brothers and sister, spouses, and kids/cousins (22 in all!) are attempting a first for us - an all family trip up north. We are staying at Arcadia Lodge on Big Turtle in Itasca county from Friday 7/24 - 7/31 and really excited. Whether this becomes an annual event is tbd - who knows if we get sick of each other by week's end? However, that ill feeling could actually hinge on how well we put fish on the ends of the kids rods and bass/walleye on the end of the adult rods.

Being an avid and curious fisherman, my planning is not for what we intend to cook for our breakfast or dinner day or even packing of clothes. 

It's about what does the lake have to offer? We've never been there so looking some consultation.

So far in my research from the DNR netting reports, smallmouths look off the charts! Largemouths have a decent population too. Clarity of the lake (as I'm sure are for most up there) is ID'd at 15 feet for the sample time. Walleyes average. I have the lakemaster and navionics software on my PC and will be looking at that in the next few days to compare the mapping out there too.

I'm curious if anyone is willing to share info on this large lake - as specific as you care to provide. Where to target Largemouth, Smallmouth, Walleyes? What are general areas of this lake to focus on (it's 2,000+ acres with some awesome bays and points!), things to look for or even if you care actual spots.  Fishing is always about the hunt and exploring and figuring out what they are doing that day, but anything to cut down on some of that leading into the week would be helpful.  Any information would be appreciated by us.

PM me if that makes more sense too, thank you for any consideration and happy to report findings to anyone that is interested when we get back for what we learned!

Catchin'

I was up there the weekend after opener for my brother in laws wedding. I loved the resort and the owners were super helpful and nice. We rented a boat, and not gonna lie, it was nicer than I had expected. The fishing in middle may I would gues is way different than now, so I probably can't help as far as that goes. Good luck and have a blast.

Catchin' - I almost posted the exact same topic late last week.  We have a crew of 19 going up on the 24th - 31st.  I was up there 2 years ago and we found the panfish for the kids.  This year we really want to try and focus on the Bass.  My buddies family has been up there for 10+ years, GREAT lodge!!!  He is not a big fisherman, probably the only time he fishes every year. So not a great wealth of knowledge....  We will be the ones playing bags on the beach alot, stop by maybe we can share some spots!