• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

trebormorgan

When targeting crappie what is the best lure/bait to use in order to avoid catching rock bass, but still catch crappie?  This has been a challenge for us lately.  We locate the crappie, but they tend to be with a large amount of rock bass.  There are times we will catch 4 (or more) rock bass to every crappie.  Any advice is much appreciated. 

ThunderLund78

I share your pain, I haven't run across much they wont try to eat.  Even off of the dock, when sunnies are being finicky for the kids, the rock bass always seem to be willing to bite when the others just stare.  The kids don't mind, but when I'm jigging/Lindy rigging with leech or fathead or trolling with a crawler rig, Rock Bass are constantly machine gunning the bait. Only suggestion I have is to start keepin' em.  I know they're perceived as the lesser fish because they're dumb and always speckled with neascus, but just like the crappies you're chasing, they taste like whatever you fry them in :)

JBMasterAngler

Just accept it. You can't avoid them. I catch them, both big and small while trolling large rapalas for pike. They go after everything!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Salsballs93
      By Salsballs93
      Looking to bring my fly fishing into the metro. Anyone willing to share where they've gone, if at all?
    • SoldierGirl
      By SoldierGirl
      So after returning to Minnesota after living pretty much everywhere else, I have finally returned to fishing.  Didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.  I'm tired of fishing the river under the bridge like a troll so I'm looking for some good spots to shore fish around Ottertail.  My regular spot is too warm now and the fish have moved on.    I'm one of the odd balls who's not into muskies or walleyes.  Really prefer bluegill and bass.  I'm a bobber, nightcrawler and beer kinda girl.  Any advice on where to go?  How are the lakes in Maplewood State Park.
    • SoldierGirl
      By SoldierGirl
      So after returning to Minnesota after living pretty much everywhere else, I have finally returned to fishing.  Didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.  I'm tired of fishing the river under the bridge like a troll so I'm looking for some good spots to shore fish around Ottertail.  My regular spot is too warm now and the fish have moved on.    I'm one of the odd balls who's not into muskies or walleyes.  Really prefer bluegill and bass.  I'm a bobber, nightcrawler and beer kinda girl.  Any advice on where to go?  How are the lakes in Maplewood State Park.
    • Coloradokid55
      By Coloradokid55
      Headed to Brainerd Area July 9-11 coming from Colorado to visit friends. Well actually my girlfriend is I am tagging along to hopefully catch some fish with my flyrod And or jigs. Seeking advice on which lakes and tactics and anything else helpful to help maximize fishing  time in your state. I will have access to a canoe on Hubert Lake. Any and all advice would be much appreciated if anyone is into flyfishing Stillwater and would like to go or show me some pointers on your home waters That would be awesome thanks looking forward to any responses.
    • Cobber
      By Cobber
      Good morning!
      Heading up to Vermilion for the weekend and usually chase Walleye, but my son wants to get some fishing action.
      We usually chase panfish together for the excitement and numbers (always fun to watch the bobber go down 🙂)-
      Is there anywhere that a guy can look to find sunnies on Vermilion?? I've never heard of it so I'm worried that may not be an option..

We are on the south side of Big Bay near Pike Bay / Everett Bay road, but can boat to where we would need to!

Thanks!!
      -Cobber
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Decided to go check out one of my shore spots for early spring pan fish. Man was it good timing. Fish were stack in the shallows. Quick limit of crappies and home for dinner. Now on to Bass opener Saturday. Good luck everyone! 

• Cessna195
      By Cessna195
      What baits and lures should I use for crappie in lake Minnetonka 
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      Anybody ever fish this lake? I know it's a bass lake. Back in my high school days a neighbor and classmates mom had a place on there. Used to catch all kinds of sunfish and crappies, albiet small. We fished over by what I believe used to be called peanut hill. Thinking about some day trying it again.
    • Lukach
      By Lukach
      Hi everyone! Just joined this forum, hoping someone here can lend a hand. My wife and I live about a half an hour south of the cities and are looking to get a couple hours up north to a rather secluded public area where we can sit around outdoors and I really want to catch some panfish from shore. Most docks are at public accesses and my wife prefers somewhere less occupied and grassy. I just want to toss a bobber out and hopefully reel something in. I’d rent a boat but apparently that’s not an option during this whole Coronavirus thing we got going on. If you have any ideas for me let me know! Thank you for taking time to read :)
    • smalliehunter
      By smalliehunter
      I've never chased panfish during the open water season.  I caught my first bluegill this winter, and have developed quite the crush on them.  What's your go to rod, length and action?  Plastics or bait?  Line type and lb?  Do you use a bobber?  Should I use same jigs as winter or plain hook? 
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Mike89
      only you!!!  LOL!!
    • Wanderer
      Have you posted any Want to Buy ads on the other sites you’ve been shopping?  Might just tip someone’s hand that doesn’t want to post one for sale.   Good luck!
    • smurfy
      what???? letting me know when he sets his garbage out!!!!!!🤣
    • Mike89
      that is darn good of you IceHawk!!!   I salute you for that!!  
    • IceHawk
      If you only knew how much I have done to help out youths hunting and fishing by donateing ,teaching and by being a positive role model, mentor. . Those that know me know how much it means to me to see a smile on a newbies kids face after he ices his first fish!  In fact I just gave one of my clam pros to a buddies 14 year old son that is really getting hooked on the sport. How many are willing to do that 😉   Thought it was a bear digging in my garbage cans little did I know a smurfy would pop up from the ruins 🤣 Hope fully you get some use out of them 😀
    • smurfy
      its ok, i'm a 63 year old kid and i did some dumpster diving, aka shopping and got them. they didnt go to the landfill!!!!👍😂
    • jim curlee
      Still no luck, so far the closest I've been is the 2nd caller, 33 minutes after the sled was posted. lol I have called on every used Skandic that has come up for sale within 500 miles of Cook.  There was one out in Seattle yesterday, lasted 7 hours on craigslist. I thought about it, then reality set in, and I figured it's just a touch too far to go for a snowmachine. lol I'll keep after it, but at this point looks like I'll be rolling on the Tundra again this winter. Just can't get myself to drop $13,850 on a new snowmobile.  
    • grasshopper
      I've been ready for awhile. Already used 2 20lb tanks and no fish. 
    • idlesmelt
      I had to give icehawk a bad time about throwing jigs out.  i'd like to see a young kid starting out get them, would mean more to me
    • SkunkedAgain
      It's 2020, so yeah, it makes sense!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.