• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The walleye are a snapping here on Rainy.We got this 30 incher up shallow ,we also caught some nice bass.

What a great day the fish were really biting.

BB1

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

image.thumb.jpg.347eb1101698998b071251f1Here's another one we got her shallow working a windy shoreline.

Edited by bassbuster1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nice fish bassbuster. Group of buddies and I are doing our annual trip up there July 10-14, Whats been working good for you?

We have been finding the fish shallow ,I have been trying the new freedom swing head jigs with a fluke it has worked well the action imitates a dying baitfish when you bounce it off the bottom.The walleye and bass really pound them.

BB1

• 2 weeks later...

We went through the Brule narrows looking for walleye on the American Side and we found them,they were stacked up on the east side of Sheldon island.The fish were anywhere from 18 to 32 fow.We did not get any big fish but we did get a lot of eaters,fat good  fish that will fry up well this 4th.We located the schools with the hummingbird ,then stayed on top of them, using a drop shot rig with a small Lunker city minnow bait we managed to limit out.We also used nightcrawlers  but it really didn't seem to matter,they were biting.

Good luck 

BB1

I'm wanting to try the drop shot tactic. Would you be able to share your set up? Hook size? Dropper length? Windy? Calm? Anchored or moving?

Be up there friday. Did here from a friend that was just up there that they found walters shallow but who knows out there, So many places to fish. Cant wait to get up there and find em.

I'm wanting to try the drop shot tactic. Would you be able to share your set up? Hook size? Dropper length? Windy? Calm? Anchored or moving?

I use a VMC drop shot hook number 4 or 6,The length of the rig depends how far the eye's are off the bottom which I determine by my graph.I don't anchor I use my trolling motor to stay on top of them,if it's to windy it is really hard to drop shot.This is a easy way to get walleye,with just a little  experimenting.

BB1

Be up there friday. Did here from a friend that was just up there that they found walters shallow but who knows out there, So many places to fish. Cant wait to get up there and find em.

We found some walleye's shallow in weeds.The key is the wind ,find a shoreline or point with the wind blowing in and you will find shallow eye's.

BB1

Thanks for sharing bassbuster. Last year we found them shallow fishing wind driven shorelines and points but of course its a different day/year and conditions are different but thats what makes it so fun. You never know.

Thanks for the help. I figured it be. Good calmer day tactic. I was thinking it would work well for eyes and I'm eager to try it out. Do you use a heavier weight too? 

Thanks for the help. I figured it be. Good calmer day tactic. I was thinking it would work well for eyes and I'm eager to try it out. Do you use a heavier weight too? 

Yes,very important to maintain contact with the bottom.

BB1

Fish were biting really good yesterday. Didn't mark hardly anything on any reef I drove over but they were holding strong behind bottom structure in groups. Still not peak bite but its getting closer to where they are spread out everywhere. Our best luck was 16 feet to 25 feet. Crawlers worked absolutely better than leeches. We caught some on leeches but they were hitting crawlers so hard it was almost ripping the rod out of my hand.

The youngster did catch this one on a leech.

hr1_zps7necd48q.jpg

The walleye bite continues to be good on both sides of the border here on Rainy.I had some customers in the past few days fishing the American side they ,(3) of them limited out the first day.The eye's have moved out to the humps but we are still getting some real nice ones up shallow.

BB1. Falls Motel

The walleye bite continues to be good on both sides of the border here on Rainy.I had some customers in the past few days fishing the American side they ,(3) of them limited out the first day.The eye's have moved out to the humps but we are still getting some real nice ones up shallow.

BB1. Falls Motel

That was probably us. We had 110+ walleyes caught in 2 days. Its getting close to peak bite.

• Thumbs Up 1

That was probably us. We had 110+ walleyes caught in 2 days. Its getting close to peak bite.

Yup,I just figured that out...lol,well you guys  know how to get them eye's that's for sure.The bite ie still very good. 

BB1

Was up there today just for a day trip and we caught 40+. Not as good as last week, but we did catch a few on my out of the way reefs. Ran over some popular reefs on the way out and didn't see much of anything. Shoreline fish moved deeper now. 

The walleye's are on the reefs big time the bite is still strong,anywhere from 20 to 30 fow on the edges of the reefs,doesn't seem to matter what you put in front of them they seem to snap it up.

BB1

I was out on sunday and caught some fish on the reef edges. Shorelines still working better for me plus am miles from any other boats. Caught them from 15 feet to 35 feet. Got to watch a guy at the boat landing pull his boat up with the trim all the way down. Lots of f-bombs on that one.

We camped July 28-31.  The wind made it difficult to fish the reefs.  However, we battled the wind on Thursday and caught a lot of walleyes in 30-35 fow.  The majority were 10-12 inches, but we also caught some nice eaters and a couple slot fish.  We had leeches and crawlers.  Crawlers worked better for us on Lindy rigs.  5-6' leaders with 3/4 to 1 oz walking sinkers.   We spent a day fishing shallow and it was slow.  We stayed on the west side of the Brule.  Not many fishermen.  

Edited by lzika
typo

• 1 month later...

The walleye fishing slowed down a bit this past week,the hot weather has pushed them deep.The weather has cooled off and I expect the eyes to move up onto the shallower humps real soon.

BB1

The walleye fishing slowed down a bit this past week,the hot weather has pushed them deep.The weather has cooled off and I expect the eyes to move up onto the shallower humps real soon.

BB1

What are water temps looking like?  I'm hearing from someone that turnover is coming soon.  Seems a bit early but maybe I'm wrong.  I'll be up there next weekend, can't wait!

Beanman - highly doubt turnover is coming soon.  Typically an October timeframe and the weather hasn't been so cold to change that.

We're fishing next week as well and would be curious to get any insight on how critical Shiners might be right now vs. fatheads or plastic for walleye.  Always enjoy fall trips and catch bigger fish on Shiners, but they're so fragile it pisses me off trying to keep them alive.

The last time I was out the water temps were in the lower sixties,as for shiners,I was getting bass on the humps and some were spitting out shiners,if the bass are eating the shiners so are the eye's.With that being said not all the fish on every hump were spitting up shiners,if I had a choice I would use shiners,I was using plastics that we're golden shiner color.Iam going back out tomorrow will post a report.

BB1

Appreciated BB1 - llooks like another volatie weather week including hot weather, storms and super high wind tomorrow.

Will look forward to your report.

Griny

Went out today ,the fishing was fantastic for both bass and walleye.They were on humps,I checked 7 humps and 2 of them were loaded.The humps topped off at 6 feet.I was using soft plastics, flukes mainly.

BB1

• 2 weeks later...

Went out today ,a little windy but the fish were biting.I started fishing humps,the biggest bass came off the humps ,so did the walleye.I didn't get any big walleye but did get some nice eaters.I then moved to windy points  and on the 4th point I caught a monster pike,  she hit a X rap. The battle lasted a little while ,I was alone so I moved the boat into deeper water with the trolling motor,I didn't get any pix  but she was just over 43 inches and was very fat I did weigh her and she was 22lbs 7 oz.I have caught longer pike but none quit as fat.The fishing is just gonna get better.

BB1