• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Smallmouth action was pretty good for us over the weekend. We spent some time chasing Muskies, however we spent most of our time pounding the Smallies. Docks were the most consistent locations, especially those with reeds near by. To my surprise, most of our fish were caught on spinner baits. We did get a few on sencos and I caught 2 on a Husky jerk.  I did my best to find a few that would take a top water, however all I got for my trouble was about a 15" Pike. We did manage to boat 8 or 10 that were in the 18 and 19 inch range  but most were 12 to 16 inches. One funny little tid bit is that we saw more Muskies while we were Smallmouth fishing than we did Muskie fishing.  :D 

"Ace"

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks Ace. Are the smallies on Vermilion spawning on rocks right now or has that already passed?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that many have already spawned however they all don't go at once. It will depend on where you are fishing on the lake. Some areas are always later than others. We caught more on sand and gravel than we did on rock rubble or in the boulders.

"Ace"

Most of the fish that we did see on beds were males. It appeared to us that most of the females had already done their business and males were guarding the nest, not looking for females. There are always stragglers out there and I expect to see fish near beds for another 2 or 3 weeks by the time it's all said and done. I expect that the Smallmouth bass that haven't completed their spawning, will do so around the new moon during the third week of June.  JMHO ;)

"Ace"

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

How are the Smallies faring are they still realtively shallow or have they moved out yet?