• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)

Well I got out this past weekend and the fishing was great. The sun and no wind during the day was a great site for these eyes. As for the fishing it was best earlier in the mornings for us, although we did catch fish all day long. As for depths we fished in roughly 7 to 12 feet of water. I know thats a wide range but we moved alot as the fish are really on the move. Wax worms are still the bait of choice. Email me with any questions on specific lake questions and ice conditions if you have any.

Sunnieshand.jpg Nice fish that we caught right away in the morning.

The fishing report is pretty much the same as last weekend. I wouldnt change much. We got enough snow for awhile if you ask me. Now we need some warm weather, rain and wind and we can get out on the open water.

Anyone still walking out at all? I'm going to be up there visitin' the folks this weekend might want to drop in a line (or maybe its waders and casting by now???)

Depending on the lake it could be nip & tuck this weekend. I was on Lobster yesterday chasing crappies. We have 14 to 16 inches of ice, most of it good. The crappies are shallow 4-6 feet. But it is starting to melt pretty fast.

Well for all you guys and gals that got out this last weekend I hope you had a great one like I did. I dont know if it was just me or we were fishing in the right spot but everything was biting the hook. We had sunnies nice 8.5 to 10 inchers, Crappies 9 to, two 14 inchers and we had perch from 10 to 11 inches. The late ice bite is really on right now. This week should be one of the best weeks for late ice fishing. I concentrated in the pencil reeds where the warm maybe bit just a tich bit warmer. wax warms or crappie minnows, the fish were hungry. Good Luck.

the lagoon on crestwood is completely open. there are a few crappie to be caught. but not many. its very slow. id give it about a week for the crappies to really be in there. i dont think it will be posted anytime soon.

i did try the lagoon by 3 havens. she is still covered pretty good tho. (i biked all the way around le hommedieu yesterday) lol

found a bunch of bowfin in a small crick. sadly i lost the only one i hooked up with. the fishing was slow. but i finally hooked up with a fish

my first open water bass of the year. 2lb 7oz =]

100_0317-1.jpg

eventually i got a couple crappie both were small but crappies none the less

100_0319-1.jpg

100_0320.jpg

We made it out today to chase some open water crappies. Fishing was good once we located an active school. Sure was nice to be back in the boat. We ended up wih a few dozen fish and kept 5 that are going to get released into the grease tomorrow.

One of many doubles.

00620.JPG

Even warm enough to get my 3 year old out for the first time of the year.

00822.JPG

01117.JPG

nice crappies! looks like a good family trip =]

the bass are starting to feed up shallow near bedding areas, crappie fisherman have been landing quite a few.

torgies in glenwood is still producing crappies. the starbuck marina is starting to kick out a few too, but its slow.

crappies are starting to go in to spawning areas around alex, but the fishing is extremely slow.

a few pike, walleye, and bass have been caught while fishing for crappie in the lagoon on the east side of le homme dieu.

i caught a 9lb 3o, and an 8lb 8oz, and a 7lb 8oz, and a few smaller 1-2lb walleyes, all while fishing for crappie, or bowfin

prariefire- thats funny I was fishing right by you and watched you take those pictures.

I was In the old brown Ranger, kinda gelous fishing next to fancy new rangers:)

Yea, that's my dad's Z21; It's a great boat to fish out of. I have a Ranger 681 that's probably about the same age as yours so you don't have to be too gealous. Sunday was a great day to be out wasn't it!

While many of the lakes around the Alexandria lakes area are open and ready to be fished, a few larger lakes are in the transition fase, in which you cant ice fish, and its not open water to boat around. I would suspect bigger bodies of water should be open this weekend sometime. With high winds and temperatures it should really rip through the ice. As for fishing people around the area or moving onto the smaller bodies of water looking for crappies and sunnies up in the shallows along the shore lines. Look for pencil reeds, river inlets and black bottom bays in the 4 to 6 foot range, where the water is warmer and the fish will move into. Crappie minnows or moptops with small jigs and a bobber have been working best. Afternoon and evening bite has also be best because of the warming temperatures. Its going to be a great weekend for Huge crappies slabs. If anyone wants to get out let me know or email me about questions on a lake. Good Luck to all.

Is Geneva clear yet? Was going to try and get up there to put in docks and maybe try for a little panfish.

Does anybody know if today's warm temps and wind took care of the ice on Miltona? I've been trying to keep track of the ice out for the past few years...thanks for your help.

My brother called me at 7:15pm (04/23/09), he went up to the cabin today after work, said the ice sank last night. I am going up tomorrow morning to help put docs in Sunday. Unless he is lying (he wouldn't lie about ice out) the ice is out on Miltona.

wife and i are gonna try a lil' shore line fishing here... let you know how it goes when we get back

well shorter than planned due to rain and lightning, don't think the fish liked it either

was out on le homme dieu today. NO ICE! well i found some ice on shore, so i did a little macro.

101_0006.jpg

101_0011.jpg

101_0012.jpg

101_0014.jpg

101_0015.jpg

i fished the lagoon behind 3 havens for a while, and i caught a nice bluegil, i was startled by a home owner coming out and informing me it was posted. i didnt look toward the entrance (i came in between some houses). i was pretty disappointed.

i tried numerous areas around the lake, but i never located any other fish =[

i searched the government point shoreline as i fished, (the wind was blowing right into shore.) i found about a dozen round bobbers, floats, 4 new ice buster bobbers, and 3 lighted boobers!

also picked up a bunch of wood that people eft out on the ice. and there was even more in the water! im gonna go down there and bring it all home haha, all together i think it would be almost 200 lbs of wood down the entire shoreline

i stopped at a creek on the way home and found a bunch of feeding suckrs so i caught a few before i continued on my way lol

101_0024.jpg

after number one a little girl stopped and watched me fish, and she took the next two pics for me

101_0027.jpg

101_0028.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

the hobo park marina on minnewaska is really kicking out bluegill, fish with waxies on a small jig. fish as far back as you can, the closer to the inlet you get, the more trouble you will have with shiners and chubs.

the bass are starting to get pretty thick in there, so you will probably get some bass in the mix of crappies and sunnies.

carp are also starting to patrol through the area, so if you want an adrenaline rush, float some waxies right off the bottom.

torgys is still kicking out crappies.

the area around the fisherie has also been kicking out sunnies and crappies.

pocket is producing crappies, but the fish are small and it is slow.

i have heard mary is producing panfish, havent got a chance to try yet though

tried many areas today,

tried maple, nada.

tried agnes, by the depot, city park, and the bike trail. nada

tried the little lagoon by the osakis golf course, there was a huge school of 4-8" perch in the caulvert, but i didnt even attempt to get any.

we tried louise, nothing

we tried the east side of charlie and the launch on charlie. no sucess.

we also tried hobo park on minnewaska.

alot of small sunfish at the end. one crappie, people near the mouth caught a few bass while going for sunnies. but the crappies are really tight lipped.

the carp are patrolling the area, i caught a fish i was not expecting at all when i was targeting the carp. using a jig and waxies a couple inches off the bottom. a freshwater drum! alot of fun on the UL

101_0076-1.jpg

101_0077-1.jpg

i was jigging with eurolarvea for the sunnies, but waxies were producing as well

the water temp is slowly climbing, and the crappies should really start biting within the next week or 2 weeks

Sorry for the late report everyone wasa down in Redwing fishing the FLW league. As for reports, I haven't been hearing much from many of the larger lakes for crappies as the water is still a bit to cold but for smaller lakes I have heard they really have turned on for crappies. I know Joe Secgura AKA "eyeguide" has been fishing and doing well. Many of the larger lakes if you can find back water ponds will be great. I say look for temperatures in the high 40's low 50's for the best bites. Fishing under a bobber and Minnow with mop top has been working best for guys that have been out. Good Luck.

Sorry for the late report everyone wasa down in Redwing fishing the FLW league. As for reports, I haven't been hearing much from many of the larger lakes for crappies as the water is still a bit to cold but for smaller lakes I have heard they really have turned on for crappies. I know Joe Secgura AKA "eyeguide" has been fishing and doing well. Many of the larger lakes if you can find back water ponds will be great. I say look for temperatures in the high 40's low 50's for the best bites. Fishing under a bobber and Minnow with mop top has been working best for guys that have been out. Good Luck.

What is a mop top?

Thanks!

There tubes that what I call them sorry... Here is a picture. Their just about in every bait store you walk into, I go for whichever is cheapest haha

moptops.jpg

I have seen those, but on a hook with a waxie. How do you rig them with a minnow? I also see that you are a guide. What do you charge per 1/2 day for the Chain in Alex? Myself and three buddies have been coming up for several years now. Last year we tried to hire a guide, but the weather did not cooperate. We are up June 4,5 and 6.

Evinrude Shoot me an email Or put your email on here and we can talk about those dates. email is [email protected] As for hooking it for a Minnow here is my best drawing. I know i'm not going to win any Awards for this one! Thats my Crappie go getter though!

untitled.jpg

HAHA I figured you would have something to say Wayne! I guess I have to go back to KINDY GARTEN!

• The title was changed to 2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)
  • The topic was pinned
  • This topic was featured and unfeatured