• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)

Hope to be coming over from Wisconsin this weekend to hit some area lakes west of Alex. Can't wait to get back to western MN where I grew up. (Go Tigers!)

You guys have any snow on ground or is it still smooth sailing driving around on area lakes? (Oscar, Pomme De Terre, etc.)

Train, little to no snow on area lakes, I was in the Sauk Centre area last sunday and there was little snow on the lake there as well.. waska is smooth traveling, so I would assume the Morris area lakes are snow free as well.

Train, little to no snow on area lakes, I was in the Sauk Centre area last sunday and there was little snow on the lake there as well.. waska is smooth traveling, so I would assume the Morris area lakes are snow free as well.

Teejay is correct on the conditions in the Alexandria area. Little to no snow and very good ice, so travel is good.

Sniffer

hey guys im heading up to the alexandria area this weekend with the fiancees family and we will be staying at arrowhead resort which i believe is on lake darling....anyway i will bringing up my portable and am looking to get the fiancee on some fish this year for the first time i would like to target crappies or any sort of panfish i guess just to keep her busy is minnewaska the safest bet for action??? plus we will have her vehicle and its brand spanking new so she will not want that on the ice so will have to plan on walking onto the ice as well even though i know from reading reports that everyone is driving on...anyways any info would be much appreciate regarding panfish action/easiest access as far as walking would be...thanks!!

They are doing OK on Miltona out of the NE access (just off 29 on the north lake drive). Can walk out there to where the houses are in the bay over the weeds. Good sunfish for sure chance for your fiance to maybe see a Miltona Muskey come in or hook into a NP!!! Very clear water and you are only fishing 7-8 foot of water here. Don't be afraid to put out a tipup or two either. Small shinners. Use small jigs and larva on the sunfish. Lot's of fun!

Good Luck!

Some people fish on Darling right in front of Arrowwood. You can access it right below the resort and is a short walk out.

My brother who lives by Alex, called me to say the DNR or? is saying all houses have to be off the ice by this monday! I looked up the KSAX TV website and don't see anything. I'll keep searching to see what I can find and let ya'll know ifinz I find out anything!

i haven't heard anything about the permys having to be off maybe he misunderstood the news guy. i know they said something the other night but i remember him saying in a couple of weeks they had to be off, i guess i'll have o watch tonight and find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great time fishing last weekend. Work and family required a slight shift in plans, but got in some quality time fishing with my Dad. Good time visiting with the locals out on the ice. I usually get a few looks when I drive out with WI plates, but always seem to run into nice folks with common roots from around Morris.

Northerns were slamming all weekend with several 3-4lber's. (Kept 6 between the 2 of us). Some nice bass and panfish too. No walleyes. Wish I had more time.....but its back the old grind now till Memorial weekend. smile

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like ice out by next week....can anyone verify for Miltona and Irene, Ida, Carlos??? Alexandria in general??? grin

I don't know about the lakes you mentioned. But just west of Alexandria near where I live there are several smaller lakes that i would consider open, other than a few small chunks near the windblown shoreline. I have never seen the ice deteriorate so fast. I was out ice fishing on saturday morning and was on a foot of ice, by yesterday afternoon the area i was fishing was free of ice, absolutely amazing and scary at the same time.

I don't know about the lakes you mentioned. But just west of Alexandria near where I live there are several smaller lakes that i would consider open, other than a few small chunks near the windblown shoreline. I have never seen the ice deteriorate so fast. I was out ice fishing on saturday morning and was on a foot of ice, by yesterday afternoon the area i was fishing was free of ice, absolutely amazing and scary at the same time.

Your right KT,it is scary how fast the ice went out. Those lakes will be ice out by the weekend.....maybe. But there are many that will be ready to go open water fishing.

Sniffer

my lake went out yesterday right after the storm, was out today in the canoe, was able to catch a few crappies in a staging area right outside their spring feeding zone.

I will be up this weekend opening the cabin and I hope to get out on Irene for some crappie fishing there. This year is by far the earliest Ice out I can remember. Ice out in march here in Minnesota is unheard of. Maybe there is something to this global warming stuff!!! I also noticed how low the lakes got last fall. I hope we have a wet spring we're going to need it!

spent today scouting the shallows for bowfin and other signs of life. alot of sunnies, pike and bass up shallow up into less than a foot of water. and only 2 days after ice out! the pike and bass were hunting the sunnies aggressively even exploding out of the water. really cool to watch being its so early still!

The lake your mentioned above will still have alittle ways yet. It will be another week or so before those will be free of ice.

was working on the car today. drove by le hommedieu and it still had a good sized chunk across most of the bay on the geneva side. when i went back to get my core deposit back, after all the rain, it was mostly gone. went fishing when i finished putting the car back together around 8, got a couple crappies. nothing to brag about small 8"ers

Water temps on the small lakes are around 45 to 46 on my depthfinder. All the big lakes still have ice except for minnewaska. I"m guess here but I'm saying by next weekend some of the bigger bodies will be ice free but will have cold water temps.

Ida still has a layer of slushy ice on it. A couple of days of sun and a little wind will take care of it. I would imagine Miltona is pretty much the same.

The crappie report after a few outing lakes and the smaller lakes are warming nicely. Was out Friday and today with getting on some of those slab crappies that have moved into shallow bays.

Friday, Jeol and I hit two lakes and caught several nice 12-14" crappies in 3-6FOW and look for dark bottom shallows which the water will be warmer than the main lake. Water temps were anywhere from 50-54 degrees and I was amazed how quickly the water warmed up. You can use any type of small jig tipped with a crappie minnow and you will have success. We were using a pink and white Lindy Little Nipper to get the crappies.

Over the next few days with the weather looking to cool down a little, the pattern will hold until that water temp reaches the 64-68 degrees range fro spawning.I would like to not get to hot to soon, but at the same time I hope it does not get to cool. That will mess up the fish and it will be hard to know when and if they are spawning. The only way is to phyically see them on the beds. It should be a good start to the open water fishing season.

full-36104-18965-007.jpg

full-36104-18966-060.jpg

full-36104-18967-009.jpg

Sniffer

i was getting a steady 54 on my lake, but thats surface temp using an infrared thermometer

Game on!!!

Irene, Miltona and ida are ice free. Watched the speticle take place Saturday from the NE corner on Miltona. An amazing thing to witness! I never saw so much ice and slush go so fast, the wind made quick work of it all, we are talking hours. wOw! Beautifull weekend to be at the lake! Northern's are in the creeks! Crappies are moving in shallow and the lakes are comming to life for another open water season...

Game On!!!

I was wondering when the docks would be going in. I know the ice just went out and I want to get out there and catch those early spring crappies but I need a dock to get on the pontoon. Being in an electric wheelchair has it's disadvantages, one not floating and two, I can't jump into any boat. I figure miltona and oaskis probably be the first to get them out. If you guys could give me an update on those I'd be greatful since I live in Marshall and fish with my father-in-law from eagle bend.

PS If you see me out on the lake stop by and say hi.

Welcome to HSO. I'll keep and eye out for you on Osakis and let you know when they put the docks in. The docks in town and at Battle Point are usually the best docks. The one at the DNR access on the west side is fair.

Thanks. I went to Osakis, Miltona and Irene on Sunday and no dock but Miltona still had a few chunks of ice out there. I'm hoping to get out there this weekend before the cold front comes through next week. Although I need to get my new trolling motor on the pontoon. Decisions decisions

• The title was changed to 2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)
  • The topic was pinned
  • This topic was featured and unfeatured