• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Not as many turkeys as I was hoping to find as of late. Looks like the big winter flocks are broken up, but where are they now. For 2 days I have not seen a turkey while looking. I have not been finding much for sign either. The search continues to find turkeys for my nephews and one for me. I find much satisfaction in looking for turkeys and no satisfaction in doing my homework. I think this might be my next topic for my community policies class.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was seeing them east of Bradford a couple weeks ago but now they aren't around. Hope they start showing up again soon.

Well I have been trying to sneak out and check for turkeys once and while. I check some public land that is close to my house and have not seen turkey on the public land except for the one big piece I can not hunt, because it is Sherburne Wildlife Refuge. So after driving spots and getting out walking, listening, and calling and not seeing anything. I headed over to check my dad's house and I think the 3 jakes from last year made it. I know it could be different turkeys, but there was 3 strutting turkeys. So I backed out and hope they stick around for couple more weeks for the nephews.

I am hoping to get this weekend for a little bit. I have a couple spots I need to check out. Watch out for ticks I heard they are out.

Needed a little me time so I took a little drive and 5 toms on public land. 2 of them were at a spot I have picked out for a ground blind. The other were near where I have hunted in the past.

Got up early to check a few spots. Wow that is all I can say. Turkeys were on the move this morning I bet I seen over 70 birds. All in groups of no more than 8 birds. I had fun with a very cocky hen and she charged in and when she saw me she started yelping like crazy. Then the tom came to see what was going on. I should have had the camera out, but I did not think a turkey would come that close being I was in jeans and t shirt. I would say the hen was with in 5 yards.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not had time to scout for turkeys for a while now. I am hoping they will be in the areas I saw them before. I know the one area has a great population of birds so that is where I will be heading first. I got the tag in my pocket I just need to wrap up these last papers, so I can bag me a turkey.

Got out hunting for the first time this morning. I heard some gobbles, but my wife thought I should be doing other things. I called it a day 1230. That way I could get something done around the house. full-12169-53207-turkeyhunt2015forhso.jp

Thanks 1eye I will

Last day of finals!! Tomorrow morning I am headed to the cabin and next week I will get a turkey!!

Excited to hit the woods in the morning!! Truck is packed up with turkey decoys, blind, chair, and crossbow is sitting next to the door. The plan is to stick it out most of the day. I just need to pack my lunch and waters. I will report back when I get in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This morning I headed to little pieces of public land that I had seen some turkeys on earlier this spring. I found out they are planting it with a food plots again, so I set up on the edge near some oak trees hoping the turkeys might still be looking for the last of the acorns.  I sat there from sunrise to about 12:40. It was kind of chilly this morning then it rained a little. I seen lots of roosters and some hen pheasants, so I can see myself going to there this fall looking for a rooster. Also for crack at some deer that liked to scare the poo out of me.

I heard something coming, so I got the crossbow up just in case it was sneaky old tom turkey. It is next to the ground blind and going to pop out. Yep it was a doe and she put head darn near in the blind. When she did this she blew at me. Let's just say it gave my heart a real test. I was happy I did not soil my pants and did not break the chair, ground blind, or crossbow. I am pretty sure I let out heck of scream and said some wonderful words to that doe. Made for an exciting morning. Here is a look at my set up. The doe stuck her head in from the left side.

Turkey hunt 2015.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

That looks like a very cool morning for you. I BET your heart was pumping.

After seeing your view I have a helpful hint. Use it at your own peril :D . Have that Jake decoy checking out the hen and the hen decoy not facing the Jake. I don't know which way you expect the Toms to approach but it's nice to have the Jake's back to them when they do. That way both decoys have their back to the Tom. Tom's are braver that way. :)

And you want those approaching Tom's eyes on the decoys, not you. I know you know that.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is great info Rick!! I never thought about it. I was not sure which way the tom would come from.  I do know I want the tom to be looking at the decoys, but I am still learning how to set my decoys.  I will make sure to have the jake looking at the hen from now on and try to have the backs to where I think the tom will come from. I will be out Friday Morning extra early, because I think behind my blind was the roosting area, so I will set up a in different spot. I did talk to guy as I was leaving and he was trapping gophers. He said he has been seeing 2 big toms in the area and no one has been hunting there. 

Sounds like a very good spot monster.

I made sure the jake had his back to where I thought the tom would come from and that the jake was looking at the hen kind of. This the photo just after the Yellow Lab decided that the tom was not big enough for me. The set up seemed to work kind of, because if the yellow lab would have been a few minutes later it may have been a different ending. The Tom was at about 30 yards when it got chased away. In the photo the tom was just to the right of the jake and of the green bush The dog came from the left almost hitting my hen decoy. The Tom was making a bee line for the jake and that would have put me with 10 yard shot. 

Turkey Hunt 2015 (1).jpg

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 1

Looks like a nice set-up dude. Good luck. I'm heading out when Mason gets out of school.

Good Luck Mason! Call up a big one Rick!! 

Spent last night in the ground blind waiting for Mr. Tom Turkey to show up. He did not find my calling interesting. I know I am in a good spot and in time he will show up, but there is only a week of Turkey Season to go. It was such a beautiful day yesterday. I am glad my turkey season did not end quickly, because I enjoy sitting in the blind. To all of the rest of you who are still hunting Mr. Tom Turkey good luck!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Trying to work on setting my decoys up so that if a Tom Turkey comes he will not be looking straight into the blind. 

Turkey Hunt 2015 (3).jpg

I expected the Tom to come from the left of my blind.

How close are the decoys?

About 10 yards

That's close. I put mine 20-30 yds out. Usually closer to 30. Especially this time of year when I can't see into the woods. Don't want a Tom peaking out of the cover to check the decoys, me not seeing him and him seeing me because the decoys were too close. I assume you are wearing all black with your hands and face covered in dark as well?

I always make sure I am not back-lit with an open window behind.

That will cut down on the odds he spots me.

Sometimes the blind gets old and I will go out and do it the old fashioned way in camo next to a tree in heavier cover. :D

Yeah I had all black on and no open windows behind me. I also made sure the sun is not shining into the blind. Seeing I am using my crossbow I want a close shot. 20 yards tops. Even with my shooting sticks the kill zone for a turkey is very small. I moved off the field into some young pines hoping they would be more likely to come closer. 

I did have my chance this year, but that wonderful yellow lab thought that tom was not big enough. I might bring another hen decoy out next time to change up the spread. I also have one other spot I have not hunted yet. I will think about where to hunt tomorrow morning.

• Thumbs Up 1

The turkey hunting season is over for me for this spring. I did not get a turkey, but I spent most of the last 3 days sitting in the blind hunting. I saw some hens, but heard no gobbling. Good Luck to those who are still trying to get a turkey.