• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone out for Perch still?

lindy rig

You can still ATV out of there. There are some perch being taken on the west side, and the north west end. ATV travel is possible in many/most areas, but check ahead. There was a truck out on the July Bar yesterday, amazing.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I heard some good reports from the north end break from sand to softer bottom

Thanks for the updates. I supposed most of those locations are too far to walk out. Was hoping to hear that you could find them shallower. We are relatively new on the NE corner and would be nice to just walk out in 10' or so like we did on Leech a couple weekends ago.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

you can walk out to the first break easy and some of the flats are within walking distance

Just read this:

Today I thought with the strong NW winds the ice was going to move. But from what I seen it didn’t move much so it will be awhile yet. Our access is closed for the year obviously and we are getting things ready at the rental house for the Opener.

The DNR hasn’t released the regs for the upcoming season at Mille Lacs yet, and if I were them I would be ashamed to. It is very upsetting to see the premier Walleye Lake in this State run to the ground so to speak in the last 15 years, and to have a State government and it’s Governor Dayton turn into spineless politicians and let this resource be practically destroyed. Everyone knows what is going on here and why it happened. And they can’t say that because the source of the lobby money they receive will be cut off. Yet what happened in Wisconsin’s Lakes , Upper and Lower Red lake, or the comeback of Lake of the Woods when the “netters” were bought out isn’t good enough evidence for our DNR biologists. They search for every other reason possible to avoid the obvious, and keep their jobs……Even the big Twin Cities journalists won’t talk about that because guess who spends major money advertising in their papers….

Well, it just won’t be Mille Lacs much longer. Rumors are that Lake Vermillion will be netted next because they can’t get enough Walleyes from Mille Lacs. Another treaty will be tested and our State of Minnesota and it’s government more than likely will stand aside and let that happen. Maybe some day after all the big Walleye lakes are wiped out, people in this State will wake up and see what they let happen to our great fisheries and vote for someone that will do something about it.

I’m not arguing against treaty rights or the right to harvest. I’m saying leave the fish alone when they are spawning……period!! And if our DNR says it doesn’t make a difference on the spawning outcome with what the Bands do during the spawning time, open it up for angling and quit having a closing and opening of Walleye season statewide!

Fishing will improve on Mille Lacs in the coming years and hopefully get back to some degree of what it once was. But if the State lets the Bands harvest in the spring as it does now… I honestly believe this will happen again…and not just on Mille Lacs……

Something has got to change…… Keep a Tight Line!!

Eddy

Hats off to Eddy, a spot on and very solid analysis. The Fond Du Lac Band is indeed going to net Vermillion. One of their positions will also be no restriction on mesh size in the gillnets. Brian Borkholder, fisheries biologist for the FDL band was also quoted as saying (Outdoor News, 3/3/15) that any muskies caught, that could not be released, will be used for the elderly nutrition program. A larger net mesh size will also allow for fish of many sizes to be caught, so there will be less pressure on any particular group. WOW

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        
    • smurfy
      got mine done........for the cabin.....ready for summer festivities!!!!!!   there was still frost in the ground...........but good gawd are the lakes low!!!!!
    • CigarGuy
      Just 1, 50" muskie🫣
    • SkunkedAgain
      How many walleye were on the stringer on their way out??? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.