• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
WalleyeDrifter

Strutting tom decoy

WalleyeDrifter

I'm thinking about adding a strutting tom decoy to my turkey hunting tools. Some people swear by them. Over the years I'd say that hen decoys helped bring in maybe half the toms that we've shot. We've also had toms hang up after spotting the hen decoy. Currently we are hunting in a forested area (public land) with some nice trails and open areas. In the early seasons, do the strutter decoys really make a difference? How about the later seasons?

Sturg

I almost always use a strutter with one or two hens. I hunt private land (always in May-MN & WI) and have found them to be very effective. It may not be as effective on Public land when birds have constant pressure. I have added movement by tying a string to the Tom decoy so I can rotate him with a light pull. I stake him with a small bungy cord so it will rotate back as I let up on the string. I don't run and gun but find a place turkeys like to be. I also hunt with a bow and set up in a blind with the dekes at 15 yds. Patience is the biggest key when hunting from a fixed position. Good luck!

WalleyeDrifter

Sturg.......When you've got the hen and strutting tom dekes out; do you call mainly with the hen calls?

DonBo

I've had MUCH better luck with this jake than the full strutter I once used. The full strut bird scared away some toms, while this one just seemed tp pizz them off and they come in looking for a fight. It is called "The Best Turkey Decoy" made by Dakota Decoys.

P4180110.jpg

Borch

I like a smaller strutting Jake decoy. Looks like the new Primos chicken on a stick would fit the bill. replace the fabric fan with a dried real jake fan and it'll be even more effective.

I generally don't add the hen but use hen calls. I like the tom to know she's around but not pinpoint her. They usually come on a run to beat up the little jake who thinks he's big stuff. wink

I don't use the strutter or jake decoys on public land myself. Just as a safety measure.

Sturg

Yes, I will hen call if I hear a gobble or a hen call. Many times I will hear Toms on the roost. Sometimes it takes a couple of hours before they show up. Last year in WI I never called at all. I just moved the decoy when the turkeys moved past or looked my way. There was a large group roosted nearby. They flew down and hung out about 50 yds below me along a creek bottom. I watched them for over an hour and if they looked my way I would slowly move the decoy. The two Toms eventually drifted away with the hens. Three jakes came in at about 20 yds chickened out and then turned and went in the direction of the hens out of sight. Then about 20 minutes later the two Toms and jakes returned and one of the Toms came right in strutting

and was about to pounce on the Tom decoy when I took him. I had a Tom decoy full fan(real tail) and one hen decoy. Each tom is different. Some will come in on the run, some will sneak in, and some will not come on a given day. That's turkey hunting. I like the archery season in MN because you have plenty of days to work a bird. Many days you won't hear much calling or gobbling. I on those days I will call about every half an hour just a couple of times. I always use a Tom decoy bowhunting because I can position a nice close shot. Once committed, they always come to the Tom decoy and are totally focussed on the decoy.

Good luck!