• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Planning Early June Trip to Kab

Hello all,

Planning a trip up to Kab for a week June 6-13. We have not booked a place to stay yet, but I am just wondering if the walleye fishing is best in a certain areas of the lake. Don't want to book a cabin on the far north side if we end up having to boat to the south part of the lake to get on fish. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Hey David,

Not sure if you've been to Kabetogama before but there are only a certain number of resorts, and they are either on the south side of the lake or along the west shoreline. I think most would agree that walleye fishing that time of year is in shallow bays or along island points vs. mid-lake structures. Things adjust slightly depending on ice out timing...You should look for price point and cabin size you need, then go to www.kabetogama.com and review the resorts...Personally I will likely be fishing on the north or northwest end of Kab that time of year, all resorts are within 4-5 miles (at most), unless you are looking at lodging in Ash River. Some have more toys, some have better docks, some have fish cleaning/better service, some have space so cabins aren't side by side....

Good luck, you're picking a great time of year to fish Kab!

Kab Kid

www.kabkid.com

I have been going to lake Kabetogama since I was a small child. As for you wanting to choose a vacation there , we'll let me say that you sure picked a wonderful place to do so.As for picking a resort , may I highly recommend Sandy Point Lodge . It's located on the far west end of the lake.The owners Gordon and Jennifer Gelo will so much try to make your stay a great time.Generaly speaking the fishing that time of year is very good , and there are plenty of good spots to get on fish that are near the resort. Their dock system is great and can accommodate your fishing boat of any size. Also for your convenience there is a boat landing right there at the resort. Good luck,and you will have fun , I guarantee it.

I have been to Kab once 2 years ago in the middle of summer and man is it a cool lake. We stayed at Voyageurs Park Lodge and loved it. The fishing was a bit difficult, but we managed to catch some nice fish. For resorts our search has been narrowed down since we will be bringing our dog and some resorts are already full. I think the farthest south we would be able to stay is Tomahawk and the farthest north is Kecks Kove with a couple others mixed in. Just don't want to get a place south and have to boat way up to the north part of the lake. Sounds like you guys are both leaning toward the North West part of the lake so that should help. I think Sand point only had a cabin for 6 days instead of the full week and my father in law wants to stay the full week!

-David

Hi again David ,

I guess because your time has been limited on Kabetogama , I just want to help you out alittle with your lake layout. For starts , all the resorts are pretty much all located on the south shore . So you have resorts that are farther west , and some centralized , and some farther east on the south shore,i think at that time of year that the farther west you plan puts you towards some of the better fishing spots without having to cross larger , open parts of the main basin. Of course there is great fishing also on numerous north shore locations . I'm just trying to keep you away from the crossing of the large open areas. As you stated that you stayed mid summer before , well mid summer fishing spots are much different then earlier season spots. I guess to suggest anything at this point would be to stay west with your locations. Again , smile up . and get ready for some awesome Lake kabetogama fishing at that time of year . I will probably be fishing there myself on those days . I will also be opening my season on that part of the lake, just as I have done for the last 50 years . Oh yah , you mentioned Kecs Cove , and Sandy point was booked , well then yes Kecs would be another fine choice.

Thanks for the feedback. We booked a cabin at Arrowhead for that first week in June. When I look at the lake in my head the shoreline with all the resorts is the west shoreline, but it sounds like we are on the same page. We will focus on the area you described, from looking at the lake map it looks like that area northwest of sand point lodge is a large shallow bay. Excited to get back up there and try it out in the spring.

-David

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the guys in our group have been going to the Arrowhead for well over 30 years. We'll be there the last week in May.

Typically at your time the fish should be farther along in their transition to summer patterns. We like the west end because of all the different structure the fish can relate to. Lots of sand, rubble, and rock along with weed lines. Most island complexes seem all of these types. You'll also find the wind isn't so bad on windy days. Just be careful - as with lakes of this type not all underwater hazards are marked.

We'll let the owners know where we've done well and he can pass the info to you.

I agree with Bert too.